GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,328
3 members and 2,325 guests
Kevin, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 08-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Advice needed ASAP please!!!

Ok, here's the deal...

We all know how much the job market sucks right now (especially in California), but I'm in a situation that I need a fresh perspective on soon. I've recently applied and interviewed at two companies in essentially the same industry for a comparable position within each one.....

BUT!

The company I interviewed with on Monday (7/28), which is my first choice, gave me every reason in the world to believe that I'll get a job offer - they gave me a second interview five minutes after the first one ended... I got a call two days later saying the second person had been "very enthusiastic about me".... they even started doing my background check within three hours of being informed that they were going to proceed with it. I haven't yet heard from them about the results, but expect to soon.

The company I interviewed with on Thursday (7/31) called me pretty much exactly 24 hours after the interview ended and offered me the job! It's my second choice only because I can see myself getting burned out in the first few months, but it's otherwise a very attractive offer. The problem is, they want a response by this Monday (8/4). The element of this position that would burn me out is not present in the other job (my first choice), so I would really rather take the other job, but I don't want to turn down my second choice offer only to have my first choice company not offer me a job.

HELP!

I'm thinking what I'll do is call my first choice company on Monday morning (not at 8am or anything - maybe 10 or 11) and ask how my application is doing, telling them that I have this other offer but that their company is my first choice and need to be sure of where I stand before I turn down the other offer. Does this sound like a good idea? Does anyone have suggestions of how I might phrase these questions so as not to sound egotistical or anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on the 2 job offers especially now. I think you should sit down and think about it. I mean really think about which job you would really love doing. To me I really don't think that you should call the other company and tell them that you have another job offer. I would still call them and just to see how everything is going.

Sometimes you don't always get what you want so really think about the second job. It might not seem that bad and you may really enjoy it or you could continue to be open until you find the job that you are really interested in.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cntryZTA5
Bill,

When I was applying for teaching positions, I was in a situation similar to yours. I interviewed at one district and was offered the position on the spot.
Several days later, I interviewed at a more attractive district. I needed to let the first district know ASAP if I was going to accept the position, so I called District #2 to let them know my situation. In the meantime, I stalled the first district. The principal of District #2 was great, and let me know the day after I called. Unfortunatley, I was the second choice for District #2, which made my decision easy.

If you don't hear from the first company by tomorrow morning, I would give them a call. Either that, or see if you can stall company #2 for a couple of days.

Good Luck!

Jackie
Old 08-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

WOO-HOO!!!!

Ok, so here's how it all worked out...

Monday morning I called my first choice job to let them know about my situation - they didn't answer the phone, so I left a message (they're busy interviewing people right now). I tried calling my second choice company a few times, but the phone just rang and rang with no answering maching or anything. I got a call back from my first choice company saying that they were only waiting for my university to deliver proof of my degree having been posted. I offered instead to fax them the letter I received from the registrar's office to save them some time (the university I attended is not exactly known for processing things quickly) - they accepted the fax and yesterday morning called me with a job offer! Of course, I took the offer from my first choice on the spot! I've been trying to get a hold of my second choice company ever since to let them know of my decision, but they still aren't answering their phone, so I think I'll just mail them a thank-you-for-the-interview-but-no-thanks kind of card. Anyway I'm starting my new job on Tuesday, September 2nd. The training location is quite a bit closer to me than I would have had to commute to the other company and the location I will likely be permanently placed at is a whole block or so from my house. I could walk there if I really wanted to. I'm definitely looking forward to this and will not at all be sorry to leave my job at Disneyland. Thanks for the advice to those who responded. I appreciate it!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on getting the job offer from your first choice. I hope when it's time for me to fine a job, I get the one that I really want.

Annice
Old 08-10-2003, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on getting your first choice!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

What are you going to be doing at your new job?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Congratulations on your new job!
Old 08-21-2003, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Talking

Congratulations on your new job!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MattUMASSD
What are you going to be doing at your new job?

Well.... suppose you get into a car accident (people fall into one of two categories: those who have been in an accident, and those who will be in an accident).... you call your insurance company to report the claim and I'll be the person who calls you back to take your (recorded) statement. I'll also be the one who decides who did what, whose fault the accident was, and whether or not to pay the claim. It's a combination of investigative and analytical duties... exactly the kind of things I'm good at. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.