GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,275
2 members and 2,273 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Facebook... "Dirty Rushing"?

Do you consider Facebook to be a tool for dirty rushing?

How are panhells combating Facebook/Myspace dirty rushing? Can they do anything about it?

Just wondering?
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

If I understand dirty rushing correctly, couldn't it potentially occur in any situation where members intact with non-members?

Help me understand how online methods encourage or facilitate it.

(Because I really want help understanding, not because I am judging it one way or the other.)
Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I know dirty rushing occurs over Instant Messenger and email. Facebook just makes it even more accessible, although it has can be easily seen by others.
In particular facebook gives the sororities access to your contact info.

Last edited by Drolefille; 01-17-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
If I understand dirty rushing correctly, couldn't it potentially occur in any situation where members intact with non-members?

Help me understand how online methods encourage or facilitate it.

(Because I really want help understanding, not because I am judging it one way or the other.)

it makes it easy for members to find the PNMs and message them, which breaks the NPC contact rules. basically, it's a lot easier and sneakier to contact them online, especially on facebook where they just have to enter their name and can find them, rather than finding a girl you want to join your sorority out at a club or in a dorm, where you could be seen by other people.

i know my old school started dealing with the whole facebook issue by requiring that the PNMs make their profiles private so no non-friends could look at them/message them. and i think they may have had a rule about not friending/contacting PNMs for the sorority members.

i guess the minifeed would make it a lot easier to catch someone friending a PNM when they're not supposed to.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ladies!

<------ So glad I'm a man sometimes.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

do the college panhellenics police facebook & myspace? How would they be able to enforce those and/or police those if the pages are private?

I'm so glad I had just graduated when the whole facebook thing started in my area.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

dirty rushing can occur anytime up to and including the actual recruitment. as soon as the pnm gets her facebook notification from her (soon-to-be) college, she can go on and start accepting people as friends.

it is not "illegal" for a sorority member to be in contact with a pnm until the designated "silence period", when sorority members and pnms are not to converse with or contact one another. often this occurs at the end of the spring semester and carries thru to bid day in the fall(or thru fall until the actual bid day spring semester for those with deferred rush).

one problem that can occur is when either the member or the pnm contact the other during the silence period. a virtual friendship can develop, which might give that sorority an edge with the pnm. it might also backfire on the pnm-she might feel that her "friendship" with the sorority member might give her an edge over the other pnms. pin all her hopes on joining that group and then might not receive a bid from them.

quite a few sororities ask their members to make their profiles inaccessible during the silence period to safeguard against this.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

you would be surprised how many times a sorority member gets caught contacting a pnm during recruitment-some people don't think to make it private!!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I know a lot of the girls who have rushed since Facebook has existed have either a)have very high privacy settings b)waited until rush is over to add friends that were already in sororities (and vice versa) c)not change privacy settings but "cleaned up" their profiles and pics before rush in case sorority members were looking. I have had several friends who are now new members or were in Fall of '06 tell me that they knew hands down that current sorority members were looking them up on Facebook.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking about the campus' with spring rush... these girls have had a full semester to get to know people and befriend them. I would think that it would be easy to dirty rush now a days (not to say it wasn't totally easy to do before the internet) to drop a note of "great to see you tonight, there was great buzz about you." OR "great time with you tonight, see you tomorrow". And these things don't always show up in the feeds and headlines.

I'm also thankful I am not in college, going through rush, now. It would be very hard.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

We had to make our profiles on Facebook AND Myspace friends only and if we were friends with any PNM (excepting those that were already students at the school the semester before, I think) we had to de-friend them. You can actually still send messages, though...there's probably no good way to avoid all that. If people really want to make contact online and dirty rush they will. You just have to hope that both the other GLOs and your own girls will step up to the plate and be honest. We mostly do it just to keep the identity of Rho Chis private. I went through Fall 2005 and we figured out affiliations based on what was written on peoples' facebook walls.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 View Post
I'm thinking about the campus' with spring rush... these girls have had a full semester to get to know people and befriend them. I would think that it would be easy to dirty rush now a days (not to say it wasn't totally easy to do before the internet) to drop a note of "great to see you tonight, there was great buzz about you." OR "great time with you tonight, see you tomorrow". And these things don't always show up in the feeds and headlines.

I'm also thankful I am not in college, going through rush, now. It would be very hard.
That's just a technologically updated version of telling a rushee the same thing when you see her in the dorm. It happened then, it's going to happen now.

Also I think there's something now that silence/disaffiliation for Rho Chis isn't supposed to be more than 30 days? So you couldn't say someone is "off limits" from spring until rush week, or all of the fall if you have spring rush.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

panhellenics can make whatever rules they want-if they want to make silence from the last day of the spring semester until bid day in the fall, they can do it. some panhellenic rules get veryspecific about suitable contact between a pnm and a sorority member.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jaade124
I recall a sorority on my campus (won't say which one) that made a rush group for their sorority on facebook. They also had an informational party before rush started which is against the rules at my school. Most sororities got in a tizzy about that group on facebook though...they felt like it was dirty rushing bc it was before anyone even got to speak to these girls *shrugs* Facebook and myspace cause a number of problems and unfortunately they are just too hard to monitor sometimes.

Epsilon Kappa Alumni
Aim High, Do or Die!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I even saw that group on facebook, and I didn't go to your school. One of my high school classmates was a member. I thought it was kind of strange when I first saw it, and I was suprised that it remained up for as long as it did. (I have no idea if it is up there at present)
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton