GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,137
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asydneytianov33
» Online Users: 960
2 members and 958 guests
asydneytianov33, Mooch279

Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
My mother in law decided at the last minute not to come, sending word an hour before the ceremony that she had nothing to wear and would not be in attendance. Then, after being coerced by my brother in law, she showed up at the last minute and left right after the wedding, so that my husband danced the mother/son song with his sister.

While it is unbecoming and I am embarrassed about my feelings, I can admit that 7 years later it still pisses me off.
I feel you on this one. My father didn't show up to my wedding. I haven't seen or spoken to him since--and have no desire to
Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I was very, very lucky in that nothing really went wrong. I did forget to wear the ungodly expensive slip that made the skirt of my dress poof out, which made the beaded skirt a lot heavier and longer than it should have been. If the worst that happened was a little wasted money and hip pain, I'd say it all turned out really well.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Wedding #2 - basically an elopement. What could go wrong with an elopement? Well, we were going to go to the apartment of the justice of the peace and be married there (had the church ceremony later, btw). The night before, the washing machine of the apartment above her flooded both apartments, so when we got there all the carpets were rolled up and big fans were going everywhere. We had to almost jump over the big carpet rolls, and I knocked over a tray of crystal animals. Our witness didn't arrive until after the ceremony - wonder if it is legal???
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
At the ceremony, the rabbi started talking about how this wedding was taking place in the presence of the couple's families, their friends, and God - well, as soon as he said "God" there was an enormous thunderclap! We all burst out laughing at the timing, and the rabbi said something like, "Yup, He's making His presence felt, all right."
This reminds me, when our chaplain was blessing our marriage, he said something about God approving of our marriage, and then cows started mooing (we got married on a plantation, and there is a farm across the street). We guess the cows blessed us, too. It's hilarious in the video.

The best part was the sun coming out and shining on us when he announced us as husband and wife. The only sun during the whole ceremony
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

My wedding had a couple of minor hiccups.

--We had four carloads of people leave my house to go to wedding. No one remembered to bring my aunt (who is developmentally delayed) to the ceremony. Everyone assumed that my aunt was with my mom. It wasn't until we got to the church (a good 20 minutes away) that we realized my aunt was back at the house. My mom had to turn around and go get her. This turned out to be a good thing because....

--One of my flowergirl's family got lost and wound up being 20 minutes late. I learned later that she had a major melt down in the car, screaming that she got all dressed up for nothing, and threatening her father with all kinds of mayhem if she missed out on the wedding.

--Our photographer never showed, despite signed contract and cashed deposit. Luckily, I have 4 brothers and they all love photography, so I used them instead. After threats from the law firm I work for, the no-show photo guy return my deposit, with interest.

--One of my bridesmaids dropped out 2 - count 'em 2 - weeks before the wedding. I just had my most friendly bridesmaid walk down with 2 groomsmen. She was happy, they were happy, and I wound up with a nice pearl necklace and matching earrings.

Other than that, it was a beautiful day. The flowers were beautiful, the dj exceptional, food was great, and everyone got along very well, Could not have asked for a more perfect experience.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo View Post

--One of my bridesmaids dropped out 2 - count 'em 2 - weeks before the wedding. I just had my most friendly bridesmaid walk down with 2 groomsmen. She was happy, they were happy, and I wound up with a nice pearl necklace and matching earrings.
Did she show up to the wedding as a guest?

This happened to my aunt on wedding #2. The bridesmaid who dropped out was her future step-daughter. So I jumped in and had her size 12 dress taken in for my size 4 body. I was going to the wedding anyway, so this made my choice of dresses easier.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
All the things that went wrong were pretty minor...
- I forgot my veil at hubby's and my house so my brother-in-law had to pick it up and bring it to the hotel for me.
- The hall forgot to take the blue plastic covers off the table number signs (DJ caught it later) so some of our pictures had the blue covers in them.
- The florist was supposed to bring vases (for the bouquets) for the head table but she brought them to the church, not the hall, so the hall had to loan us some.
- A few of my cousins like to dress semi-casual for the ceremony and change into formal wear for the reception so, in the family photos, they were under-dressed.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawn Liebowitz View Post
hmmm...would it be too bitchy to say "choice of groom"?
Well, that would be the first mistake for me, too.

It was late April, and it had snowed every day before the wedding, and miraculously, all the snow had melted and the day was absolutely gorgeous! To this day, we say, "but it was a beautiful day!"

-Out of town relatives decided that they needed to visit Mt. Washington that day. Two family members took two cars for this excursion.
-In town relative who had been hospitalized for the past week, now decided that she's signing herself out AMA, tying up another family member. I have a small family, we were getting stretched for people and vehicles by now. But never fear: the in-laws had brought two vintage pink Cadillacs, which would be used in lieu of limosines.
-The poof slip (ala ADqtPi Mel) isn't with the dress. Fiance & brother sent to get it; my car returns with several dings from future brother in law wanting to drive it. The slip? Oh, that took a second trip!
-The printer called, they couldn't finish the program due to illness; it was fetched to be finished and printed at Kinko's.
-At this point, my mother had this hinky feeling that the tables weren't going to be set up properly (despite the elaborate seating chart). She & my brother went to the Country Club. The tables weren't set up properly, and the custodians locked themselves into a closet and got high. My mother & brother moved the tables themselves.
-They realized that the florist hasn't been there yet, but noticed those horrible Hallmark honeycomb things in a pile near the head table. They didn't dare tell me, just in case they were for something else.
-I had made my veil, knowing that the last part couldn't be finished until the wedding day (fresh flowers). Still no florist. A kid drops by with a bag of SILK flowers, lisping, "these are for the veil." I looked at the hot glue gun in my hand and decide to spare the kid and go for the mother later.
-An old friend stopped by, with 8 dozen pizelles and her two-year-old. The two-year-old decided to roll herself inside of the veil. Trying to extract her without leaving red lollipop marks was not a fun part of the day.
-My new in-laws, having seen the new dings on my car, decided 30 minutes before the wedding, against letting us use the pink Cadillacs!! All of the family cars are out touring, springing people from the hospital, setting things up, or otherwise engaged. I had to take the one car left to the car wash, and when the owner asked me what was I doing there, I said, "I'm getting married in a half an hour, and there's no other car to wash!" One of the good parts of the day: free carwash.
-Somehow, we got to the church. The flowers were beautiful, the candlebras shining, the bridesmaids looked lovely, the flower girl angelic - maybe this was going to work out after all. I had lost so much weight that my dress needed to be taken in 8" in the waist. It had looked fine at the salon, but somehow, with the pouf slip, the V-neckline plunged so low, I couldn't even lean forward. We tried to stitch it up a little bit, but the girls wouldn't cooperate. *sigh* I had more pictures of men looking down my bodice than I care to remember.
-Did I mention that the pastor who was giving the blessing now had Alzheimer's? Well, nobody told me, either. Mary and Herman, whoever you are, were duly blessed.
-The wedding party was cramped into a green vintage Dodge Charger, a Petty-blue vintage Plymouth Barracuda, and a white Subaru Legacy - followed, of course, by the two vintage pink Cadillacs, with 2 people in each.
-No flowers on the tables at the Reception - those honeycomb things are there, which my bridesmaids & I quickly ripped off of each table before anyone saw them. The anteroom, which is supposed to be flowing with wine, cheese, and appetizers, was empty. The caterer had forgotten about them.

And actually, I could go on and on, but y'all get the idea. Halfway through the ceremony, I literally visualized myself walking out, but I didn't. In retrospect, it would have been the wisest thing to do!

Last edited by honeychile; 03-01-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

You so win, honeychile.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

How on earth was honeychile able to RESIST leaving a post for the past 3 pages and 3 days of this thread?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
You so win, honeychile.
Trust me, not a competition I wanted to win! This is the first time I've ever written it down, and even now, I realize how many things I forgot - like my poor mother had to cancel her hair appointment. They sound so silly now, but I have this determined look on most of the pictures, like a "I will see this through!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
How on earth was honeychile able to RESIST leaving a post for the past 3 pages and 3 days of this thread?
Sheer determination and an ability to laugh about it now!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

1. One bridesmaid was drunk before the ceremony started. She had to be half dragged/carried down the aisle by my brother-in-law. I actually found the whole thing funny and laughed the entire time. She also forgot her bouquet at the bar and ran back for it when she realized she had a drink in her hand halfway down the aisle.

2. Same drunk bridesmaid introduced me to her boyfriend 6 times at the wedding. This wouldn't have been a problem but they had been together 5 years and everyone in the family knew him quite well. The booze made her forget.

3. An aunt was infuriated that she did not get to sit at the mother of the bride chair in the front aisle, she sat next to her thus, not leaving a place for my brother who walked me down the aisle. Luckily, there was an extra seat next to my mother-in-law so he sat on that side during the ceremony.

4. A drunk cousin wore a loose fitting low-cut dress (think J.Lo) and while dancing, didn't realize she was giving a peep show to everyone there. Imagine the shock on half the guest from Mike's side of the family who are Mormon. My side (the Mexican Catholics) laughed like crazy.

5. The boat left port while there were still 8 guests running to try and board. I asked them to please go back for those guests (family members) even if it delayed the ceremony but the shitty captain wouldn't do it. I still hear about this.

6. My matron-of-honor, mom, and an aunt were suffering from a horrible flu so they spent the entire reception sleeping on the downstairs lounge on the boat. They don't even really remember the ceremony.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
1. One bridesmaid was drunk before the ceremony started.
2. Same drunk bridesmaid introduced me to her boyfriend 6 times

4. A drunk cousin wore a loose fitting low-cut dress
Was I at this wedding? Seriously. One of my friends married a few years back and the entire wedding party showed up drunk to the church (at 4:00) , including the bride and groom.

The women all started drinking at 10am when they went to have their hair and makeup done. I don't know when the guys started, but the formal pictures are hysterical. They look like they were at a Fraternity Party (loose ties, disheveled tux).

When the reception ended at midnight, the groomsmen and the bridesmaids had all passed out. Leave it to my friend, the bride, and her hubby to close down the bar, doing shots.

I took them to the airport the Monday after, and they admitted to both getting sick on their wedding night.

The only things that I can say that went wrong (that I can remember) was the bride's bouquet breaking in the church and the bride getting into an argument with the photographer. The best thing I remember were the rumors circulating about the bride's aunt being the "date" of the Catholic priest.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Did she show up to the wedding as a guest?
Oh, yeah she did. She couldn't understand why she wasn't at the head table or why my husband was less-than-thrilled to see her. She's just lucky my mom allowed her to live.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
You so win, honeychile.
My sentiments exactly. My FUBARs were minor in comparison