GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 316,181
Threads: 115,668
Welcome to our newest member, opkhindh

Old 06-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I also think it's OK if some NPC orgs would be interested in colonizing at community colleges and others wouldn't. But some large urban community colleges are huge, offer 4 year degree, and may not resemble the image of community college that some here have...
Do you mean they get a bachelorís degree?
Old 06-06-2020, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
https://study.com/blog/do-community-...r-degrees.html

https://www.communitycollegereview.c...unity-colleges

https://transfer.santarosa.edu/ca-co...helors-degrees
Old 06-06-2020, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's another twist in the CC situation. I know someone whose daughter was very accomplished at a top public school. She opted to save money and went to CC, lived at home, and worked. Her plan was to transfer to a Big Ten university after two years. Then it was to transfer to a Division II University after two years. She was enrolled, had a room assignment, etc. She realized she did not want to pay the money for the experience.

Instead what she ended up doing was taking advantage of a new program in the state. She goes to CC for three years and then transfers to a state school for one year. She graduates with a full degree from that university.

Three years of CC and living at home = cheap
One year at state university (NCAA Division II) = pay it out of pocket, no debt, four year degree from a perfectly fine university

We're kidding ourselves if we think the coronavirus isn't going to accelerate this kind of thinking. With the degree she's pursuing (education) she will have zero problem finding a job after graduating from this school. She ticks all the other boxes too in terms of personality, etc. She would actually have been a great sorority member somewhere.

And no debt.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC could certainly qualify it to be only those CCs that offer 4 year degrees. They can craft it any way they want. But I do think it bears investigating rather than continuing to ignore the requests and changes in higher ed and the women who might want the sorority experience.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

YES IT BEARS INVESTIGATING.

And it bears analyzing actual data, as opposed to relying on anecdotal stories of what you personally have observed, or your 'feeling'. Earlier I posted to a breakdown on demographics from Columbia University, which I don't think many have bothered to check out, or they'd know that 23% of students come from a household income of $106,000 or more, for example. 49 percent of Black students and 51 percent of Hispanic students who enrolled that year started at community colleges. Do we really want to diversify? This is a piece of that puzzle.

Ultimately, I am going to wait and see what the research committee finds out before deciding my opinion.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Amen, Belle!
Old 06-06-2020, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
CCAC had a few programs leading to a bachelors degree even almost 20 years ago, when my sister was thinking of going there to finish her education degree. I imagine itís expanded from there, and they probably offer quite a few 4 year degrees these days.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
College of DuPage, my local community college, has a very popular 3 + 1 program. You take 3 years of classes at COD, then one year taught by faculty from one of the partner universities on the COD campus.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
deleted
Point had already been made
Old 06-07-2020, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay I'm speaking as someone who went to a big transfer campus and was aware of the schools people would come from: maybe this program could work if a CC looks at places where students transfer the most and then the NPCs would form CC chapters so if a campus has ABC they can associate with the ABC chapter on said campus? But that would take a lot of collaboration between the CC campus and the uni that has that sorority on it.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story

Last edited by Cookiez17; 06-07-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 06-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I highly doubt that the chapters at the 4-year college campuses are going to agree to affiliate the CC women automatically and that's a huge problem we've been discussing, cookiez--if they expect a seamless transition, it's unlikely to happen.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I highly doubt that the chapters at the 4-year college campuses are going to agree to affiliate the CC women automatically and that's a huge problem we've been discussing, cookiez--if they expect a seamless transition, it's unlikely to happen.
Quote:
Affiliating is already a problem between 4 year branches and main campuses. This would make it worse.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I see that and as people have stated we'll have to see if the NPC decides to go through with the program they certainly will have weighted out the pros and cons of it all.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 06-07-2020, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Here in Texas, we have 2 programs that accept community college students. The one at Texas A&M is called Blinn Team and the one at the University of Texas is called PACE. Students attend CC + 1 class at the main university for Freshman year and are guaranteed admission if they attain a certain GPA, which I think is about a 3.2-3.5. I believe they are limited to certain majors, such as Communications, Education, Liberal Arts, and Social Work. Most of the sororities accept these transfer students although, if I am being honest, they are not usually at the top of their lists. Most of these students were of the caliber of wait list students at major universities which, in Texas, are those that were not in the top 10-15% of their graduating classes. This is clearly difficult for those that attend high-performing suburban high schools with high academic standards which, in every other state, would be sought after students by your state universities. That is why so many of our top students attend out-of-state universities, such as Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Okay I'm speaking as someone who went to a big transfer campus and was aware of the schools people would come from: maybe this program could work if a CC looks at places where students transfer the most and then the NPCs would form CC chapters so if a campus has ABC they can associate with the ABC chapter on said campus? But that would take a lot of collaboration between the CC campus and the uni that has that sorority on it.

I appreciate that you are trying to look at things from all angles. In San Diego County we have three public universities, one private university, and 8 community colleges. I'm just not sure how feasible it would be to work out the "combinations" in order to meet the affiliation needs of most women.

True and Constant