GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,115
2 members and 1,113 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 06-26-2003, 10:26 AM

Rushing as a grad student?

I know there is at least one NPC sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, that accepts grad students as members. But how would a grad student go about rushing?

Hypothetical situation: Suzy has just enrolled as a grad student at University X. Phi Sig has a chapter there and Suzy wants to join. There are also a few other sororities.

Does Suzy sign up for formal recruitment, knowing she will be immediately cut from all sororities but Phi Sig because they don't accept grad students? Does she go through informal rush? If formal rush is deferred, does she have to wait until after FR to attend COB events? What if Phi Sig met total and quota and therefore doesn't have informal rush? Does she follow the alum initiation process and then become an active with the chapter at University X?

Also curious about fraternities - I'm not sure if any fraternities accept grad students as new members - but I guess it's a little more straightforward there, during rush you just go to the fraternities that would accept grad students.

Like I said, hypothetical question, but inquiring minds want to know...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
My thought is if there is a guarantee the informal/COB situation would exisit for Phi Sig, the girl should wait and just do the informal thing.

If chapters taking quota/acheiving total during formal recruitment is a sure thing, then she should suck it up and go through formal, knowing that everyone except Phi Sig would cut her.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
i've definetely heard in the past that phi sigma sigma accepts grad students, but what other sororities do also?
A GD
Old 06-26-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe Phi Sig is the only one. A few sororities will let you remain active as a grad student (if you're at the same chapter/school).

Of course grad students can go the AI route, but they are considered alums rather than members of the undergrad chapter.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Re: Rushing as a grad student?

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

Also curious about fraternities - I'm not sure if any fraternities accept grad students as new members - but I guess it's a little more straightforward there, during rush you just go to the fraternities that would accept grad students.

Like I said, hypothetical question, but inquiring minds want to know...
I don't see why Fraternities don't accept grad students. There may be some "classification" (honorary or alumni initiate) issues, but I'd doubt anyone would be turned away that sincerely wanted to make a contribution.

I've known a few LXA grad students, and they participated like active members in meetings and social activities, and I think it adds to the overall chapter's quality and diversity of viewpoints on education, etc....

I'm all for it - does anyone else know specifics about other fraternities and grad students?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Rushing as a grad student?

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
I don't see why Fraternities don't accept grad students. There may be some "classification" (honorary or alumni initiate) issues, but I'd doubt anyone would be turned away that sincerely wanted to make a contribution.

I've known a few LXA grad students, and they participated like active members in meetings and social activities, and I think it adds to the overall chapter's quality and diversity of viewpoints on education, etc....

I'm all for it - does anyone else know specifics about other fraternities and grad students?
Well, Alpha Phi Omega, the National Service Fraternity, has no issue with grad students rushing. We make a point of telling chapters that ANYONE who is a student should be allowed to join their chapters: full time, part time, non-traditional, etc. We do give chapters the right to limit grad student participation (ie can't hold office, for instance), but that's it.

I pledged APO as a non-traditional grad student since there wasn't a chapter at the school I was an undergrad at.
Section 71 Chair
Old 06-26-2003, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't blast me. I am one person with one opinion and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind...

EDITED HERE- I am only refering to NPC chapters in this post.

For all the time I've spent on GC, one question that rises from the masses year after year includes the phrase-I'm rushing as a Sophomore, I'm rushing as a Junior, I'm rushing as a Senior...
Now, we are talking about Grad Students???
I don't know, but it seems to me-"There is a season..." and somehow, I think someone who has reached the age where all the other members are Light-Years in thinking and experiences apart, should let it go. I know many of you have pledged later in your college experience, and I think that is WONDERFUL, but how far are we to push the envelope? There are so many WONDERFUL groups out there that offer amazing friendship and philanthropy opportunities the league, sisterhoods and don't forget alum initiation. When can you tell someone that it's time to move forward? I would never want someone to change their goals because of MY impressions, but honestly, 17 and 18 year old girls are not the best companion for a 23 or so year old woman. It's just an opinion and it may very well be archaic, but I really think there comes a point when a person should look forward instead of back, dwelling upon what they missed out on. There are some amazing opportunities, it is such a shame to miss them because one is so focused on a single agenda. This really is an opinion, nothing more.

Last edited by justamom; 06-26-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:05 PM

JAM - down, girl

I was asking a hypothetical question as to how a grad student would go about rushing an NPC sorority that accepts grad students as actives. I think it's great that Phi Sig does so, and it's great that most NPC sororities offer alum initiation (I wish AEPhi did).

GLO membership is for life. We have several alum initiates among us; I'm sure many of them would have liked to have the experience of being an active collegian. Phi Sig offers that opportunity to grad students - why fault them for that? It's never too late to go greek
Old 06-26-2003, 11:08 PM

Once again I think this is one of those things that ENTIRELY depends on the campus. We had a sister (undergrad) who pledged when she was 25 - she had been in the service and such, and wanted to do this. Her big LOVES her, and I don't think anyone ever had a prob with her being older. I know some of the fraternities had older guys active. Now if we would be at a school like LSU where 19 year olds at rush are considered somewhat long in the tooth (LOL) it would be another story. I think even juniors might feel somewhat uncomfy in that type of situation as the houses are so big you're lumped with your pledge class all the time.

A lot of grad students come from schools that didn't have Greek life, they didn't have time, or their parents wouldn't allow them to pledge. Once they are 21+ they can do whatever they want of course. I think the reason for grad students not being involved is not so much age, but lack of time.

Never ever say "I should have"!
Old 06-27-2003, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
I rushed and pledged as a first year graduate student. Sigma Alpha Mu does not have honorary membership, so I did not receive (nor would I accept) any special treatment from my degreed status. My pledge brothers were both first semester freshmen. Even though I was five years older than both of them, we all got along perfectly!

As 33girl mentioned, the downside to graduate students pledging is the lack of time. I fondly recall many sleepless nights in order to fullfill my academic as well as pledgeship obligations.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom

I would never want someone to change their goals because of MY impressions, but honestly, 17 and 18 year old girls are not the best companion for a 23 or so year old woman. It's just an opinion and it may very well be archaic, but I really think there comes a point when a person should look forward instead of back, dwelling upon what they missed out on. There are some amazing opportunities, it is such a shame to miss them because one is so focused on a single agenda. This really is an opinion, nothing more.
Since I am older than 23, and will be going through recruitment in the fall, I wanted to offer some insight into why I want to join a sorority. I want the sisterhood that I see others experiencing on my campus. I don't want to wait for AI. I enjoy being with younger women, and I enjoy being with older women. We as women ALWAYS have something to offer each other, no matter the age. I don't think your opinion is archaic at all; it is very widely held. However, if sorority membership is for the rest of your life, why should collegiate women of the ages of 17 and 18 be the only ones allowed to make this commitment? And should collegiate members who are of 23 years of age or older be required to go alum because they are not the best companions for 17 - 18 year old girls?
I should already be in grad school, but due to a whole long series of circumstances I'm not. I look at this as a last chance to try my hand at something that I have not only wanted in the past, but something that I want now. I look at sorority membership as a way to forever have a link to college age women and alumae so that I can develop strong friendships with women I may not otherwise meet and so that I can be of service to women of all ages the rest of my life. I hope this made sense, seeing as how it is very late.

JAM, I wouldn't have responded to your post if your opinion and advice was not one that I highly respect. There are many amazing opportunities presented to women my age that are not Greek related, but they are not necessarily presented to women at the undergrad or graduate level.

BTW, I attend a university that has a high percentage of nontraditional and commuter students.

Wow that was long...
Old 06-27-2003, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

As someone who pledged a bit later in my college career... as a junior who was already a bit older because of my Dec. Birthday.. I have to say that at 23 (even though I'm not joining at this age and I am almost alum) I feel I get along great with my sisters who joined last fall as 17-18 year old freshman. Granted I'm definitely closer with the girls who joined as transfers or who were already in since their freshman year... but I still consider all of my sisters my friends. I know that I can, and have, given some of the younger women adivice that someone only a year or two older can't give.
It makes me DARN PROUD that Phi Sig is appearantly the only NPC org. that will allow graduate students to join. I say if it is something that they are joining for the right reasons... and are willing to put in the time that it requires despite the work load and stress of being a grad student, I say it's great !
Old 06-27-2003, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Phi Sigma Sigma Grad Student

As one of Phi Sigma Sigma's grad students who joined in her early 30's I'm going to have to say it depends on the campus whether that is odd or not. We had I believe 4 post bacculaureate students help found our particular chapter and at the time of our founding the average age of the members was 25. We are also the only NPC on the campus, 3 Latina based and 3 of the Divine nine sororities but just us to represent NPC.

For my campus the average age is 29 and a lot of the students are transfer students. So it has been more unusual to have the 18 year old freshman in most of our Greek orgs then the other way around. Our demographics are starting to change a little bit as we put more of an emphasis on recruiting freshman but for the most part our campus will always be a commuter campus relying on the transfer and returning adult students.

As for the age difference maybe it didn't affect me as much because there is a 14 year gap between myself and my blood sister. So most of my chapter sisters are actually closer in age then my blood sister and I are. We also actually have quite a bit in common and have become good friends with quite a few of them. I've already been maid of honor to my Sapphire Sister, she has become one of my best friends and I never would have met her before because of different majors,etc. Okay maybe I don't go to the parties but even a lot of the "younger" ones don't go either. All my sisters have taught me a lot and I hope have learned from me as well.

The Iota Gamma Chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma truly is the prime example of what Phi Sig's core values are - inclusiveness, academic excellence, and leadership through service.

1) Academic Excellence - we've had one of the highest GPA's in the greek system at CSUDH

2) Leadership through Service - we have served unstintingly in our Student Body (where we had a Student body president 3 years ago in her late 40's), volunteered at all campus events, done all our various philanthropy etc.

3) Inclusiveness - Our chapter sisters are Mexicans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Caucasians, African Americans, Koreans, Hawaiian, Philippinos, Puerto Ricans, Nigerian, Peruvian. All religions have been represented including Wiccan. We range in age from 18 - 39, average age is about . With 4 active sisters now in their 30's (we call ourselves the Rocking Chair club or the Old Ladies club). We are freshman through graduate. Married with children, Married without children, single moms, and singles.

I'm not sure how grad students would go through formal rush or if they would want to from what it sounds like. But for me, being a grad student or even in my 30's has never been an issue with my sisters, with Central Office, Advisors, etc. It wasn't a matter of looking back for me or dwelling what I missed out on because when I was first in school there was no greek life on campus. When I came back to school to get my bachelors there still wasnt an NPC on campus just ethnic based groups that I didn't feel comfortable in. After I finished my bachelors and was working on campus I approached Phi Sigma Sigma to get information for the students in the program I worked with. After passing along the information, they ended up asking me if I wanted to join. I protested about grad student and age. Despite being an "old lady" or even a grad student they activelly pushed me to come to their information and recruitment sessions which I finally did after a lot of encouragement. Best decisions I made and I am so thankful for the wonderful women I have met who have become some of my best friends despite the age, cultural, academic interest, etc differences.

Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 06-27-2003, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by squirrely girl
i've definetely heard in the past that phi sigma sigma accepts grad students, but what other sororities do also?
I think Delta Gamma does too, or at least that was the impression I got. Any DGs want to correct me?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

You all have given me food for thought. So many things to things to consider, the campus atmosphere not being the least.

I do know that at U of Houston the SXs pledged two twin brothers who were ABOUT 23-24. Theyhad been in the armed service and started college late. The LOVED being a part of SX. They even handled the pledgeship and Hell Week beautifully! (What kind of Hell Week could begin to compare to serving in the army???) Yet, they were undergraduates and going through the same process as the others.

I thought about this before I signed on and knew/hoped I would get some reaction to my post. THANK Y'ALL FOR BEING GENTLE!
What hit me this morning was, in actuality, it would be nice if there WASN'T a rule about it and every chapter had the freedom to choose. That way the doors would be open to those chapters that could present a membership opportunity to a woman. Those that prefered not to could go about their merry way. It might actually lead to stronger chapters-ergo-stronger Greek Systems. That would be a "win/win" situation for ALL concered. See, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!