GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,286
2 members and 2,284 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

International Badge Day: March 1, 2010

International Badge Day will be on Monday, March 1, 2010, with the theme "The Fraternal Experience: Keep it Close to Your Heart"

Of course in this social media world a facebook event has already been created. This can be a great way to notify/remind those in your college chapters, alumnae chapters, or panhellenic friends.

International Badge Day on Facebook

Found this tidbit interesting on the facebook page:

Q: What’s different in 2010?
A: This is the second year that we’re celebrating diversity and our common sorority experience. In the spirit of global interfraternal relations, NPC also invited the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc., the National Multicultural Greek Council, the National Asian Pacific Islander American Panhellenic Association and the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, Inc. to participate.

I also did not know this:

Q: Who started this tradition?
A: The creation of this event was the idea of a sorority woman. In the spring 1996 issue of Alpha Sigma Alpha’s “The Phoenix,” Nora M. Ten Broeck wrote an article titled: “A Simple Solution—Wear Your Membership Badge Today.” The article described her personal experience of wearing her sorority pin to work one day.

Way to go ASA!

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 01-30-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I just signed Facebook that I'd be participating! If you ever look at the ADPi Forum, under Random, you'll see which pin I'll most probably wear - I have a few that I've rescued from ebay.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I really wish NIC would get in on this. I think it's a great idea.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the reminder, Blondie93. Will be getting the word out starting with Chapter on Monday night. I'm going over to the ADPi forum to check out Honeychile's badges.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
International Badge Day will be on Monday, March 1, 2010, with the theme "The Fraternal Experience: Keep it Close to Your Heart"

Of course in this social media world a facebook event has already been created. This can be a great way to notify/remind those in your college chapters, alumnae chapters, or panhellenic friends.

A: This is the second year that we’re celebrating diversity and our common sorority experience. In the spirit of global interfraternal relations, NPC also invited the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc., the National Multicultural Greek Council, the National Asian Pacific Islander American Panhellenic Association and the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, Inc. to participate.

A: The creation of this event was the idea of a sorority woman. In the spring 1996 issue of Alpha Sigma Alpha’s “The Phoenix,” Nora M. Ten Broeck wrote an article titled: “A Simple Solution—Wear Your Membership Badge Today.” The article described her personal experience of wearing her sorority pin to work one day.

Way to go ASA!
Any idea if a standing link to the article online?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
Any idea if a standing link to the article online?
This page on npcwomen.org has links to much of the same information.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Agreed. I think I'll do it anyway, though.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Agreed. I think I'll do it anyway, though.
Maybe the men of GC can start a new trend. If anyone can make it happen, it's GC!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This page on npcwomen.org has links to much of the same information.
Thanks. I'm assuming pre-2000 maybe be a bit earlier for NPC orgs and online archiving of their newsletters. I would love to see the article written by Nora Broeck.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Maybe the men of GC can start a new trend. If anyone can make it happen, it's GC!
I'm seriously considering email NIC and asking why we aren't involved with this.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm seriously considering email NIC and asking why we aren't involved with this.
I'd say go for it. They don't know what's on people's minds unless you tell them- and if they get several emails about it, maybe they'll consider either talking to NPC about joining with the annual March 1, or ideally establishing their own day. Two badge days a year would be fantastic.

ETA: I shot them an email. I'm sure an NPC opinion won't matter as much as those of NIC members, but you never know what'll tilt the scales.

Last edited by thetygerlily; 02-01-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Way to go ASA!
I'm down, on the NPHC side of it, but im curious to know what exactly "invited" means. Did they just send an email out? Was there buy-in? It would be a cool thing to do, greek-wide. There's no mention of it on NPHC's site.

We have certain badge attire, and i assume a lot of you do too. Does this mean on 3/1/10 you all will be in badge attire or will you wear a crest pin? I will be going with the latter.

Last edited by tld221; 02-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I'm down, on the NPHC side of it, but im curious to know what exactly "invited" means. Did they just send an email out? Was there buy-in? It would be a cool thing to do, greek-wide. There's no mention of it on NPHC's site.

We have certain badge attire, and i assume a lot of you do too. Does this mean on 3/1/10 you all will be in badge attire or will you wear a crest pin? I will be going with the latter.
I'm thinking about participating. I have a nice jeweled poodle pin and a nice shield pin I could wear.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I think its an awesome tradition - the reason NIC can't catch on is because they don't have the same governing power that NPC does. Campus IFCs are not monitored by the NIC like campus panhellenics are by the NPC. They just don't really have that line of communication.

That being said, I'll wear my badge on March 1st with Vito and pshsx1!

Last edited by Gusteau; 02-01-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
We do have a required badge attire, so yes, this will require a little out-of-the-norm fare for me. Back when I was working, my daily attire was scrubs, so I was not able to participate. Now I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old that I stay home with. Guess I will just have to spruce it up a little that day for our trip out to the grocery store and Target!