GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,307
5 members and 2,302 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE

Old 11-06-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SaraKT
Just doing some thinking...

Hi all!
I've been reading this forum for a while now and have been thinking about AI myself. I once was a pledge in a GLO but never got to finish my pledge period due to a lot of problems I was having with money and personal stuff. I still see my "pledge sisters" all the time and I'm still on good terms with them but I also have friends in another GLO on my campus. I know I would not get a bid if I were to rush again ( I'm 25 and will be starting my senior year this coming fall but I'll be a 2 year senior) I just can't shake the feeling of sisterhood that I felt with my plegde group and I miss it everyday. Any suggestions?

Lots of Southern Lovin'
Sara
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2003, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

How do you know you would not get a bid? Just because you are an older/nontraditional student doesn't mean you wouldn't make a great addition to any sorority. I think you should go through recruitment and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that you wouldn't get a bid, and you'd have to do Alumn. Initiation, which is what you're thinking about anyways, right?

I say try going through rush first, THEN take it from there!

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Well at my school it is mostly freshmen and sophomores who get in through rush sometimes a junior, I was one semester away from my junior year ( after I dropped i took much needed time off) I'm 99.9 % sure I would not get a bid if I rushed. I'm just trying to weigh my options.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Hi Sara...nothing wrong with weighing your options.

I don't claim to know about the AI policies of all of the NPC groups, but it would surprise me if you could join as an AI while you are still an undergraduate on a campus where the group has an active chapter.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 AM

Sara:

Unless you are at a school that doesn't have NPC groups it is highly doubtful you could do AI. Part of the point of it is to give women who didn't have an opportunity to join a group to join one. As an undergraduate, regardless of age or campus conventions, you do still have that opportunity. Not to mention if you joined a group through AI and then showed up at the house saying "Hi! I'm a sister!" when you were still an undergrad it would cause all kinds of resentment.

Why did you depledge from your first group? Is there a chance that you could finish up your pledgeship and be initiated there?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

My school has 5 NPC sororities right now. However I may not be attending school for too much longer. My family is dealing with alot of issues right now and school just may not be an option for me right now. So as much as I want to go to grad school that's probably not in the cards for me as of this time. I'm not in school right now and it doesn't look too hopeful that I will be returning.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it's offical I won't be returning to school for a long time, possibly never. Both my sister and I got laid off our job from 2 different companies for pretty much the same reason, they couldn't afford to have us there. Just as my insurance was about to kick in dammit. So school is out for me and my sister. We pay for it and even with loans and grants we can't afford to pay for it. I'm probably going to have to move back in with the folks as well since my lease is almost up.

Just great that this happened right as the holidays begin huh?

Love
Sara
Old 11-29-2003, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

sara, sorry to hear that things aren't going well at all! i will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that something comes your way. don't give up on going back to school. you will do it!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

The job search still continues, I've had a few interviews and I'm going to put in some paper work with a temp agency (yuck) and see if they can find me anything.

I've also been doing some research into a few of the NPC orgs but the question I would like to pose to ya'll is this.....

I have narrowed it down to three orgs. I know alot of people in org A plus there is a chapter in my area. However the other two orgs are very fascinating to me and the philanthropies for the two are very close to my heart and life. The problem is this org A has a chapter at my old school the other two (B & C) are no where near here, the closest chapters are about 4 or 5 hours away. So is it possible to apply for AI with B and C with the nearest collegiate chapters being hours away?

Any info is appreciated!!

Thanks
Sara
Old 12-08-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I can only speak for my GLO, but it is possible. How close is an alumnae chapter? They are the ones you'll have to get to know.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SaraKT
So is it possible to apply for AI with B and C with the nearest collegiate chapters being hours away?
It probably depends far more on the proximity of an alumnae chapter, and how open that particular alumnae chapter is to AI.

Some orgs list alum chapter locations on their website -- you might want to see if you can find any information on alum chapters near you.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by DGMarie; 02-17-2004 at 11:28 AM.