GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
0 members and 1,441 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't read that article the first time I saw it because I thought it was stupid and would make me mad.

I was right.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM

I got to the point of weight loss being achieved via ketosis, then I had to quit.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I read about this and was sick to my stomach. This is what the idiots in Hollywood and celebrity wannabes are doing to us! If you can't handle having your picture taken at your normal weight, I can pretty much predict how long you're going to stay married!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM

^^^Outside of the obvious "ketosis can kill you" thing, you are going to gain it all back times a zillion by the time you get home from your honeymoon because dumb diets never work. Then what?

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
This is what the idiots in Hollywood and celebrity wannabes are doing to us!
Not necessarily. People do lots of stupid things without seeing a celeb do it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
While the tube diet is fairly unknown in this country, it has been popular for years in Italy and Spain, where it is used casually to lose weight before a big event, as well as for more significant weight loss.
ETA: Of course, I don't know for sure that Europeans didn't get this from their celebs, but I think they might be less affected by media than we are. In any case, if I were actually to do this, there is no way I would got to work or school with that thing in my nose for the whole world to see. I have too much integrity to lie and say I'm gravely ill and I would be too humiliated to admit I'm shallow enough for a feeding tube diet. I would also have a serious problem marrying someone who would decide to do such a thing for the sake of fitting into an outfit for a few hours.

Last edited by christiangirl; 04-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The woman from the article said she wouldn't go certain places because she didn't want people asking if she was sick. Thing is...she is!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I know people think wedding pictures are important and in some aspects I suppose they are. It would be nice to be able to look back and say "Hey, I look damn good." But going this far seems like you would look back and remember how hard, annoying, and down right awful the lead up was to look that good. Also, I cannot think of a single couple other than newlyweds who display their wedding pictures. None of my friend's parents do. Mine don't. Hell we have my boyfriend's parent's pictures, granted that might be because they were divorcing...

Do many people display their pictures?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I know people think wedding pictures are important and in some aspects I suppose they are. It would be nice to be able to look back and say "Hey, I look damn good." But going this far seems like you would look back and remember how hard, annoying, and down right awful the lead up was to look that good. Also, I cannot think of a single couple other than newlyweds who display their wedding pictures. None of my friend's parents do. Mine don't. Hell we have my boyfriend's parent's pictures, granted that might be because they were divorcing...

Do many people display their pictures?
Some do. I know that several of my friends have canvas prints of their fave wedding photo in their living room/entertaining areas or in their bedrooms/hallways as decor. Some just put like 2 in some frames in the living room. But yes, I know people who display wedding pics.

I do understand wanting to look good. You take a TON of pics on your wedding day. I just don't understand the extremes.

Another thing I don't get is why you'd want to be a completely unrealistic and crazy low weight that you're not going to be able to maintain. you'll be back to your old weight plus more in a month.

However, I think the feeding tube lady and other extreme diet brides have had issues with food/weight/appearance/weight obsession before that. The wedding just exacerbates it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
The woman from the article said she wouldn't go certain places because she didn't want people asking if she was sick. Thing is...she is!
I can understand not going some places but I don't think I would want to be seen by anyone I know. I would be humiliated to explain to my mother or sister why this contraption is in my nose.

Sweet, every family I nanny for has their wedding photos displayed all over the house. I don't have a lot of married friends so I can only really speak for the homes of the people for whom I'm worked.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

This reminds me of a year or so ago when I was reading about how some brides were doing the HcG diet to lose weight.

I really don't understand why women do these quick fixes. I'm trying to lose weight the old fashioned way and while it is taking a long time to do so, I know that I'll be happier in the end because the weight will stay off.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Ha, I meant to post this here and completely forgot.

One of the things that annoys me most...like 99% of people have PLENTY of time to adjust their eating habits and start exercising before the wedding. When do you hear of someone getting engaged and then married 2 weeks later? Not to mention making changes to better your diet and starting an exercise regimen are two things that you should do for your overall health anyways! The whole lose weight quick thing is so ridiculous...
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen several families who display their weddings pictures, but I don't get going to such extremes to look a certain way for your wedding. I get wanting to look good, sure. So try Weight Watchers or take a fitness class at a YMCA or hire a trainer or work out with your fiance. Do sensible things that you can maintain long term, so that you and your partner can have a long, healthy life. I just feel like the stress that kind of low-calorie diet puts on your heart and body isn't worth it, but maybe that's just me.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to say I'm really happy all of you who responded thought it was as guano as I did, and that it really is outrageous.

Mad love to my GC sisters who promote all encompassing beauty and health for themselves, and those around them.

As far as ketosis and reducing carbohydrates, I know my body chemistry works better when I increase my protein and consume carbohydrates that are higher in fiber and lower on the glycemic index; but if I cross the line into ketosis I feel horrible and there is a horrible taste in my mouth. It helps that I don't like super sugary sweet tastes, but this girl can have issues if she gets to far into a bag of blue corn chips with the blood sugar spike and the salt. Sodium is still my nemesis, even with foods that are preservative and allergy free there is an obscene amount of sodium in everything.

I guess the nice thing about having a bunader wedding is that a bunad is to be made only once as it is very expensive and intricate in the detailing, so it is designed to be let out, hemmed, and otherwise altered for pregnancy and aging. I'd also wear my bunad more than just once and it is of the same heirloom quality is could be passed down and worn by other women in the family like a wedding dress.

Not like I'm anywhere near the situation of even considering marriage, but I'm starting to feel stronger about not being married unless I'm living in a place (state or country) that has marriage equality of some kind. I wouldn't get divorced if I moved to somewhere without it, but I don't think I'm going to be happy living in a place where people aren't treated equally.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Ha, I meant to post this here and completely forgot.

One of the things that annoys me most...like 99% of people have PLENTY of time to adjust their eating habits and start exercising before the wedding. When do you hear of someone getting engaged and then married 2 weeks later? Not to mention making changes to better your diet and starting an exercise regimen are two things that you should do for your overall health anyways! The whole lose weight quick thing is so ridiculous...
This. We will have a three year engagement and I started dieting (the healthy way) about a month post-engagement. I've been dieting for a year and a half now.

Part of it is that, yes, I want to look damn good in that dress. (I have a picture up on my mirror). A bigger reason is the fact that I want to look good for my husband .

The main reason is that, while my weight was OK according to BMI, my eating habits were trash. I want to spend 60 healthy years with my husband-to-be, rather than 20 sick ones.

-----

Also, what physician does this to a bride-to-be and keeps his/her license? Seriously.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
The main reason is that, while my weight was OK according to BMI, my eating habits were trash. I want to spend 60 healthy years with my husband-to-be, rather than 20 sick ones.
AMEN!!