GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,566
0 members and 2,566 guests
No Members online

Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
On a scale of 1-10, paying for a rec must rate about a 200 on the Tacky-o-meter!
I dont see how it would look favorably on a PNM actually....
Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are going to contact someone asking to be put in touch with alumnae in your area, please either GIVE your area, or respond to them promptly.

You don't need to tell me you live on 123 Main Street in Anytown, but it would be helpful to say "I live in anytown" or "I live near Grand Forks."

Also, don't tell us you are going to attend UM (Michigan? Minnesota? Miami?) or USC (South Carolina? Southern California?) - be specific!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello Ya'll! First I must say I have so enjoyed reading this forum... I laugh and cry - so many touching stories! My question (I didn't see it anywhere - no flames please!) is my daughter has a friend who is willing to write a Recommendation for her. On the Recommendation form it asks for Leadership & Activities - can she just attach my daughters resume - she's done alot - or does she have to write in all her activites? My daughter thought that attaching the resume would be ok but I wanted to check for opinions!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_from_Ga View Post
Hello Ya'll! First I must say I have so enjoyed reading this forum... I laugh and cry - so many touching stories! My question (I didn't see it anywhere - no flames please!) is my daughter has a friend who is willing to write a Recommendation for her. On the Recommendation form it asks for Leadership & Activities - can she just attach my daughters resume - she's done alot - or does she have to write in all her activites? My daughter thought that attaching the resume would be ok but I wanted to check for opinions!
A resume should be fine. I've written recs for girls and indicated 'see attached resume' under Leadership and Activities. The way girls get involved these days, there's no way to fit it in 3 lines!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you OTW!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile nice

nice to meet you all.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I just have a question...would it be wrong to send more than one recommendation letter? would having more letters increase my chances?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcheek View Post
I just have a question...would it be wrong to send more than one recommendation letter? would having more letters increase my chances?
More letters do not necessarily = increased chances at getting a bid.

But more than one rec CAN give the chapter another opportunity to get to know who you are.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-25-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

ok thanks =)

one more thing...what is the difference between recommendation letters, references and letters of support? which is the most important one? could you send all 3 or will it irritate the sorority?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcheek View Post
ok thanks =)

one more thing...what is the difference between recommendation letters, references and letters of support? which is the most important one? could you send all 3 or will it irritate the sorority?

I believe a rec and a reference are the same. It's just that some sororities call it a rec, and others call it a reference. That's just an official form sent in by an alumna of that sorority that basically lets them know the basics about you and that you are going through recruitment.

A letter of support is something different. It's an actual letter written by an alumna of that sorority on your behalf.

Whether a rec and a letter of support are necessary depends on your school. There are some schools where PNMs often send in 2-3 recs from different alumnae and a couple letters of support. It may be considered "overkill" at less competitive schools.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-25-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

ok thank you soooo much, you've been extremely helpful =)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been trying to get recs but I'm having a hard time trying to find alumni. Both of my parents have asked their co-workers and no one had been in a sorority. Any other ideas of how i can find alumni?
thank youuu
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhxbabiii View Post
I have been trying to get recs but I'm having a hard time trying to find alumni. Both of my parents have asked their co-workers and no one had been in a sorority. Any other ideas of how i can find alumni?
thank youuu
teachers
relatives
relatives of friends
neighbors
Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
thank youuu
Seek the help of the nearest Alumnae Panhellenic Chapter. Since you're in VA, I imagine you shouldn't have trouble finding one. Visit www.npcwomen.org for more information.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
thank youuu
Ask:

teachers/school staff/activity sponsors
family friends
older sisters of friends
friends of older siblings
friends of friends
girls that went to high school with you that are older than you
women from your place of worship
your co-workers or your boss
families you babysit for/past babysitters
males in any of these categories---they may know of sorority alumnae!

Keep trying and you'll be surprised at who pops out of the woodwork. Also, remember that when you find one alumna, she may know of others, even if she is an alumna of a sorority not at your school. I am from a small town of 6,000 NOT in the South, and if a graduating senior came to me asking to find alumnae for recs, I could probably hook her up with members from 20 of the 26 NPCs that I know personally.