GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,248
2 members and 1,246 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Life Social Media

Hey y'all! I know it's super popular for sororities to have accounts on different social media (especially instagram) to generate interest before recruitment and give PNMs a look at what each chapter is like. A few of my sisters and I were discussing our chapter's instagram and how different chapters on our campus utilize social media to show off their personalities.

We've recently had a new chapter establish a chapter, and my sisters and I disagreed about how we felt they utilized their social media. Obviously it's no one else's business how a chapter chooses to use social media if it's not breaking any Panhellenic rules, but since a few of us were "representatives" for our chapter to help their national leadership consultants with our campus culture, we were curious if they were doing what the majority of us were doing, or doing something else.

A really popular theme for sorority social media is those "why I went XYZ" posts, and since they're a brand new chapter, we've all been interested in why their members decided to join them rather than participate in formal recruitment, and this is where the disagreement comes in. A few of their posts have girls mentioning that they went through recruitment or COB but were dropped, sometimes even after a few attempts. A few of my sisters and I thought this was refreshingly candid, because even though being completely dropped from recruitment is rare at our school, it could be nice for PNMs to know that it can happen and that your life isn't totally over if it does. However, other sisters thought this was embarrassing and painted that chapter as "rejects" and "leftovers". Some posts also mentioned joining for the consultants, being "not like other chapters", and joining to be a part of that chapter specifically, rather than part of the greek community as a whole, which I definitely thought was questionable, since my campus has a very inclusive greek life.

What do you think about this? I know it's not going to change whatever that chapter does with their social media, but I'm curious if anyone else thought this was either strange or totally fine.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
Hey y'all! I know it's super popular for sororities to have accounts on different social media (especially instagram) to generate interest before recruitment and give PNMs a look at what each chapter is like. A few of my sisters and I were discussing our chapter's instagram and how different chapters on our campus utilize social media to show off their personalities.

We've recently had a new chapter establish a chapter and my sisters and I disagreed about how we felt they utilized their social media. Obviously it's no one else's business how a chapter chooses to use social media if it's not breaking any Panhellenic rules, but since a few of us were "representatives" for our chapter to help their national leadership consultants with our campus culture, we were curious if they were doing what the majority of us were doing, or doing something else.

A really popular theme for sorority social media is those "why I went XYZ" posts, and since they're a brand new chapter, we've all been interested in why their members decided to join them rather than participate in formal recruitment, and this is where the disagreement comes in. A few of their posts have girls mentioning that they went through recruitment or COB but were dropped, sometimes even after a few attempts. A few of my sisters and I thought this was refreshingly candid, because even though being completely dropped from recruitment is rare at our school, it could be nice for PNMs to know that it can happen and that your life isn't totally over if it does. However, other sisters thought this was embarrassing and painted that chapter as "rejects" and "leftovers". Some posts also mentioned joining for the consultants, being "not like other chapters", and joining to be a part of that chapter specifically, rather than part of the greek community as a whole, which I definitely thought was questionable, since my campus has a very inclusive greek life.

What do you think about this? I know it's not going to change whatever that chapter does with their social media, but I'm curious if anyone else thought this was either strange or totally fine.
Is the new chapter NPC or local? Your post reads as if this new group is a local and not interested in being part of the 'real' panhellenic. Also, in which area of the country is this chapter? That may have an effect on how people perceive the new chapter's posts.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM

I think their talking about getting dropped from rush multiple times is a terrible idea. Not only does it make the chapter look like last chance city, it could make rushees think that if they get dropped from all chapters, they can just start a new one. (I assume they don't talk about how long and involved the expansion process is.)

The "not like other chapters" spiel is a veiled way of saying "we're not mean/snobby/shallow/insert negative stereotype here." In other words, insulting the rest of Greek life. A chapter that really is that different most likely is not an NPC.

Cheerio - she said a group of current sorority members were helping the new chapter's national consultants understand their campus culture.

ETA: pretty sure I found the insta you are referring to and criiiiiiinnnggge is all I can say. When they speak about it in person I'm sure it's a little different but the written word really does change things.

Last edited by 33girl; 05-17-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If the goal is widespread, positive PR, I agree with 33girl. The goal should be that every PNM who visits their site leaves with a positive impression. There are other ways to convey their accepting sisterhood than passively aggressively dissing other groups and posting TMI stories that make it sound like they'll take all comers.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Completely agree with the thoughts above. I would not say that I was dropped by other groups-even if it were true. PNMs will not be attracted to a chapter that is perceived as being "less than" the other groups on campus.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the other ladies that I would not want "my" chapter to have those kinds of comments posted anywhere, especially as a recruitment tool. But here's the thing... not your business. Might not seem like a great idea, but that's not your circus, not your monkeys.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the insight! To address Cheerio's query, it's an NPC sorority, and I attend a mid-sized school on the east coast. However, our greek community has been pretty turbulent with chapter closures and membership reviews, hence the united front image that Panhellenic wants to put out. I guess I'm trying to see the best in their posts by hoping they're trying to market their chapter as unique (which obviously all chapters are), and the "not your typical sorority" group. However, I just find it a bit misguided, since my school is academically competitive and all of our students, regardless of affiliation, are motivated young women who don't fit in a stereotypical mold. In the end I agree with thetalady, because if they choose to portray themselves that way, good for them!
Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

I've been involved with the Greek system for a loooonnng time and all I have to say that every situation I've ever seen in which a sorority attempted to market itself as the "un-sorority" ended badly.