GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,200
0 members and 2,200 guests
No Members online

Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Informal Recruitment

Hi everyone! I was hoping for some advice on informal recruitment. Our informal recruitment starts with a sort of meet-and-greet between the sororities and the PNMs all at once, where each sorority has a separate booth in one giant room. I'm not sure what happens after that, so I was wondering if anyone had done or gone through this kind of recruitment? Also, does anyone have advice on how to make the best impression during this kind of informal meeting? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Since every campus is different, the best source about what happens next is your Greek Life office. Give them a call and ask about what to wear, how the process proceeds from this point, do you need recs (in the south, most likely), etc.

As for how to make the best impression - dress appropriately, look polished, smile, make friends, ask questions about the different groups. Just like you were at any public event where you want to make a good impression (no chewing gum!).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through informal recruitment at my school.

They had all the chapters set up a booth in the MU. They did a meet and greet and then you went back to the houses you wanted to visit.

Since it was informal you came and went as you pleased. I didn't like that aspect as I felt it would be rude to just up and leave the house. I was invited back the next night and gladly went (and then received my bid).

While I LOVE ADPi and couldn't imagine belonging to another house, I do wish that I could have at least met the other houses. If that makes any sense at all.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I went through informal recruitment at my school.

They had all the chapters set up a booth in the MU. They did a meet and greet and then you went back to the houses you wanted to visit.

Since it was informal you came and went as you pleased. I didn't like that aspect as I felt it would be rude to just up and leave the house. I was invited back the next night and gladly went (and then received my bid).

While I LOVE ADPi and couldn't imagine belonging to another house, I do wish that I could have at least met the other houses. If that makes any sense at all.
It wouldn't have been rude - the other chapters knew that there were other groups to visit. If you didn't have the balls to leave and explore your options, that is not their fault.

Southernproper - if your rush ends up being set up like this, don't do this. Visit as many houses as you can. If a group cuts you because of it, they aren't the group for you. IMO every informal rush that is in the least bit scheduled (and I consider having a meet-and-greet kickoff the least bit scheduled) should coordinate with Panhellenic so that parties aren't held at the same time. It's not fair to the PNMs to make them the ones to have to say "well, I gotta go now" and it doesn't put across a very good impression of Panhellenic unity if ABC intentionally schedules their party the same night and time as XYZ because they want PNMs to choose.

If there are groups who literally are only able to bid one or two members, they don't even need to have a party. Bid two girls you know and get on with it - rather than throwing a big bash and making people think they have a chance when they don't. If ALL the chapters are in this state, there is no need for a "formalized" informal rush. Informal rush to help that one chapter who is below total when everyone else is 20 over? Forget the panhel-wide efforts, and let them work on their own. They need women who want to join THEIR sorority, not A sorority, and they'll do a lot better locating them if the PNMs aren't thinking there's a ghost of a chance they could join Popular PQR.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-05-2013 at 11:42 AM.