GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,630
0 members and 1,630 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get along with the majority of my sisters. Should I drop?

I went through fall recruitment this past August and ended up joining a sorority that was re-colonizing at my school. I was so excited at first but my relationship with my chapter has soured a lot. I feel like a lot of girls don't like me and don't respect my opinion. For instance, I wave at a lot of my sisters when I see them walking around campus but many of them ignore me. If I try to give constructive criticism when it's asked for at a recruitment workshop, girls will whisper about me while I'm talking. I love the organization but I don't want to pay all this money to be around a bunch of girls who don't treat me like a sister. What should I do?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe you should stop assuming people are talking about you or shunning you on purpose. I find that the majority of the time that people that have these complaints are generally imagining the situation. If you have low self esteem or don't feel comfortable around people, you need to work on that rather than push it onto others. If you have had a run in with a sister and now think that everyone is against you, get to the bottom of it. You are still probably exaggerating it all but you shouldn't let it fester.

Basically, you don't become someone's sister just by sharing a letter shirt. You become sisters by sharing experiences. You have to be there on a regular basis providing support, not just asking for it. You have to. BE a sister, not just expect others to be YOUR sister. This all takes work. If you go in and try to work at making these relationships and build a place for yourself in this chapter, you won't regret it. If you decide to leave, you very well may.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

If you just pledged last August, you really aren't in a position to offer much re recrcuitment issues. Try waiting till you go thru on the sister side.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
If you just pledged last August, you really aren't in a position to offer much re recrcuitment issues. Try waiting till you go thru on the sister side.
To be fair, since she was part of a colonization, she has exactly the same level of experience as everyone else in her chapter.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget that you'll be getting a whole new crop of sisters in August. Although I love my pledge class, I ended up with a lot more good friends among the year below me.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
To be fair, since she was part of a colonization, she has exactly the same level of experience as everyone else in her chapter.
sorry, didn't notice she was in a colony.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Was this a colonization from the ground up (I.e. volunteers from the national org came in and picked all the members) or was there an interest group already in place that received national recognition?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Ground up
Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 AM

I don't know how you know, but ok :-)

MP - sometimes it's hard for a colony to gel. Women have been picked for membership who are vety different from each other, but that's partly WHY they have been picked - the sorority doesn't want a chapter full of clones!! I would try talking to your colony development director or whatever they call the alum in your organization who's basically in charge of watching over the colony. You may not be the only girl with concerns and this is something the national headquarters wants to nip in the bud so they can have a healthy chapter. Good luck!