GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,289
0 members and 2,289 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2005, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

30th International Sweetheart of the Sigma Chi

Graduate honored as national sweetheart
by Christina Morgan
Staff Reporter
The Daily Helmsman
July 28, 2005

Quote:
The brothers of Sigma Chi really know how to choose their sweethearts.

Fraternity sweetheart and recent University of Memphis graduate Amy Jackson was recently named International Sweetheart of the Sigma Chi fraternity.

“This is such an honor because it means that Sigma Chi as a whole trusts me as a part of their organization,” Jackson said. “It means that they believe I share the same ideals and qualities that they value. It is a great privilege to be associated with such a strong organization, committed to building better men across the country.”

The U of M Sigma Chi chapter selected Jackson in February 2004 as the chapter sweetheart because she had helped the chapter out a lot over the past year.

“I helped them with the capital campaign to raise money to build their new house, helped members improve chapter grades, helped them organize community service programs for the pledges and more,” Jackson said.

Sean Riley, president of the local chapter, said there is no one more deserving than Jackson.

“She has done a lot for us over the past two years,” he said. “She got us involved on campus, gave us tips for interviews, set up mother and son brunches and father and son tailgates. She just gave us a lot of ideas and helpful hints on improving our chapter.”

Jackson, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, became involved with Sigma Chi shortly after a fire destroyed their fraternity house in 2001.

“I was so impressed with the way all of the brothers banded together even in the midst of hardship and the way they demonstrated that being a fraternity man is not about having a house to throw parties in, but is about being a part of something that makes you better,” Jackson said. “I (then) developed some very close friends within Sigma Chi, which led to knowing them more as a group.”

The International Sweetheart application process is a tedious one and the Sigma Chi brothers nominate their sweethearts only when they think they have a strong candidate.

“Amy is only the 30th international sweetheart of the fraternity,” said Brett Collins, Sigma Chi and U of M alumnus. “It is a very exclusive club.”

After completing the nominating letter, application, resume, and reference letters, Jackson passed into the second round. Then, after a phone interview Jackson received the news that she had made it into the finals along with two other sweethearts. As a finalist, Jackson had to give a speech at the fraternity’s Grand Chapter meeting in Cincinnati, where the fraternity also celebrated its 150th anniversary.

“One of the most famous Sigma Chi’s is David Letterman,” Riley said. “So, Amy’s speech was the top 10 reasons she should be sweetheart.”

The undergraduate delegates at the ceremony then chose the winner.

Jackson’s title will last two years and she will not only act as an ambassador for Sigma Chi but will also travel to all major national events and training workshops.

“The international sweetheart coming from Memphis is such an honor,” said Collins. “She is such a good role model for other chapter sweethearts.”

© 2005 Daily Helmsman

photo courtesy of Sigma Chi

Amy Jackson was honored at the grand chapter
meeting of Sigma Chi fraternity in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

U of M Grad is New International Sweetheart of Sigma Chi

Quote:
Amy Jackson, a recent University of Memphis graduate, was selected by Sigma Chi Fraternity as its new International Sweetheart at the fraternity's Grand Chapter meeting last month in Cincinnati, where the fraternity celebrated its 150th anniversary.

Jackson was one of three finalists for the honor; the other two represented chapters at Pepperdine University in California and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida. Each of the fraternity's 216 chapters in the United States and Canada has the opportunity to nominate a candidate for International Sweetheart.

Jackson is the fraternity's 29th International Sweetheart. The first was Barbara Tanner in 1948. A new Sweetheart is chosen every two years. Candidates are selected on the basis of their involvement with their university campuses and local Sigma Chi chapters, their community service, academic performance, character, and personality. The finalists attend the fraternity's Grand Chapter, where they address the student delegates who cast the final ballot.

Jackson is also the sweetheart of the U of M Sigma Chi chapter and the reigning Miss University of Memphis. She was awarded the Gov. Ned McWherter Scholarship, and she was a finalist for the prestigious Truman Scholarship last year. She was inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa honor society and graduated summa cum laude.

Jackson was very active in student life, in community events, and with the U of M Sigma Chi chapter. She directed the Up 'til Dawn student fundraiser for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, served on numerous student boards, and was an officer in her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta . She did volunteer work with Georgia Avenue Elementary School, Raleigh-Egypt Middle School, St. Jude's, the Memphis Special Olympics, and Hands On Memphis.

The daughter of Curt and Betsy Jackson of Arlington, Amy received her B.A. degree in journalism from the University of Memphis in May 2005. She is employed with the marketing department at ALSAC/St. Jude.

Copyright © 2005 The University of Memphis
Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

TSteven,

I hope you don't mind that I've posted a link to the thread on the AGD board!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just out of curiousity, do you have a list of who the past ones were?

PS Congrats Ladies of Alpha Gamma Delta! She is gorgeous!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
TSteven,

I hope you don't mind that I've posted a link to the thread on the AGD board!
Of course not! I meant to get over to y'all's board and do so, but I got caught up with dang work.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Just out of curiousity, do you have a list of who the past ones were?
Not that I know of, but I'll see if I can find one.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks darling
Come on down and visit your Eta Chapter! They are awesome!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Thanks darling
Come on down and visit your Eta Chapter! They are awesome!
You are more than welcome.

Eta is an excellent chapter and I would love to visit 'em - and the Ole Miss campus. However, I'm currently out here in the San Francisco Bay Area so it might be a while before I am fortune to do either.

By the way, I have met many fine Ole Miss alumni over the years and each and every one is a great credit to y'all's excellent institution of higher learning.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

bravo to all those involved...
Memphis should be so proud.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! What an honor, and it sounds like she is an extraordinary lady as well- makes me proud to call her a sister!

Facebook
Old 08-05-2005, 07:38 PM

That badge she's wearing in the photo - does anyone know if it's a Sigma Chi badge or a special "sweetheart" badge? Or maybe her AGD badge? I can't make it out.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
That badge she's wearing in the photo - does anyone know if it's a Sigma Chi badge or a special "sweetheart" badge? Or maybe her AGD badge? I can't make it out.
Doesn't look like a Sigma Chi badge. More like a heart of some kind.

There isn't really any official "sweetheart" badge or pendant. And nothing in a heart shape to give sweethearts that I know of.

Now this pendant is often formerly presented to House Mothers and chapter sweethearts. This one is made of genuine Mother-of-Pearl.

This is the Alpha Gamma Delta badge.

Last edited by TSteven; 08-05-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I love Sigma Chis.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:10 PM

I love Sigma Chi! Derby Days are the most exciting days here @ Kent!

Lakers Nation.