GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,931
0 members and 1,931 guests
No Members online

Old 12-03-2000, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Student Loans

Hello Everone,

I heard that if a person has student loans and is teaching in a rural area that his/her loans may be forgiven. If anyone has any information regarding this subject, please let me know. I don't know if this is true or not.

------------------
You are the master of your own destiny!
Old 12-03-2000, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I had heard this before, Soror. Check with your local school district, they may have more information or could lead you in the right direction. If not, check with your STATE department.
Old 12-03-2000, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard something similar. I am minoring/ becoming certified to teach and I was told that you would have to agree to teach at whatever school the district places you in. The schools are usually the worst schools in the district as far as poverty level and standarized test scores. Also, I believe that you have to sign a contract to teach at that school for a specified number of years. I think that it is a good deal, depending on the amount of money you owe in student loans. I believe that we are having a teacher recruitment day this week at my university, I will inquire about this program and let you know what my findings are.
Old 12-03-2000, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

After graduation, my best friend joined the Navy (as an officer) and they paid all her student loans back.

-Teresa
Old 12-03-2000, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that some states(MS for example) have Critical Need Scholarships for those in education. There is also the national Teach for America Program. Both programs place teachers in critical need areas, mostly rural and/or inner city areas, for about two years. I have known some people to have their loans paid and others who have had their graduate school education paid for while attending a college/university near the area where they work. I don't know if you can enter either program after completing undergrad. You may want to check with the State Department of Education for more information.
Old 12-03-2000, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite Ivy:
I know that some states(MS for example) have Critical Need Scholarships for those in education. There is also the national Teach for America Program. Both programs place teachers in critical need areas, mostly rural and/or inner city areas, for about two years. I have known some people to have their loans paid and others who have had their graduate school education paid for while attending a college/university near the area where they work. I don't know if you can enter either program after completing undergrad. You may want to check with the State Department of Education for more information.
Elite Ivy:

Yes, you can apply for Teach for America after completing your undergrad. I recently had an interview with them (still waiting on the outcome! ), and two of the other applicants were graduate students. They mostly target recent undergrads or people who are about to graduate from undergrad, but I believe graduate students can apply. As far as the loans go, Teach For America itself does not forgive loans. You may be able to defer your loans while in the program, and some loans can be forgiven, but it depends on the district where you teach. It differs from region to region, district to district. Also, your loan has to meet certain qualifications in order to be forgiven.

For more info visit http://www.teachforamerica.org

Just my $19.25

B.N.

------------------
"We must combine the toughness of the serpent with the softness of the
dove, a tough mind with a tender heart."

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 12-04-2000, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Conskeeted and anyone else who is interested check this link. http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/Stud...s/perkins.html

you CAN get your perkins loan forgiven if you teach in a district with a given amount of disadvantaged students. this was told to me by a man in our finacial aid office. check out the link it is very detailed and specific. i plan on possibly going to Detroit to teach b/c they are offering HUUUUUUUGGGGGE incentives especially for those getting certified in critical shortage areas (ie math, science)

anyway it takes alot of research, just search around for stuff on the net like "student loan cancellation" or something similar

for those of you still in undergrad (teaching) i have some other avenues (sholarships i have gotten) that i would be happy to share just email me.

sincerely in education,
meeks

[This message has been edited by meeks (edited December 04, 2000).]
Old 12-04-2000, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

AS A TEACHER WHO TAUGHT IN A INNER CITY POVERTY BASED SCHOOL...I ASK AND PLEAD FOR U TO CHOSE WISELY...THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT COULD MAKE ME GO BACK TO THE SCHOOL WHERE I FIRST TAUGHT...IF IT IS A RURA/INNER CITY/POVERTY/ OR RICH SCHOOL DISTRICT....OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL CHECK OUT THE TEST SCORES, DESCIPLINE POLICY...ETC.....BE CAREFUL WHAT U SIGN.....I TEACH 2ND GRADE IN NC...AND SO MANY TEACHER WHO TEACH eog (GRADES 3-12) END OF GRADES ARE STRESSED OUT...CHOSE WISELY...THOUGH U MAY BE LOOKIN TO FIND AN RURAL AREA FOR LOAN FORGIVENESS..PLEASE CHOSE CAREFULLY..ESPECAILLY IF YOU ARE GOING IN AS A NEW TEACHER...OR

Quote:
Originally posted by Conskeeted19:
Hello Everone,

I heard that if a person has student loans and is teaching in a rural area that his/her loans may be forgiven. If anyone has any information regarding this subject, please let me know. I don't know if this is true or not.

Old 12-04-2000, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: So close to the city of Big Shoulders, that I can almost taste it
OES24,

Truer words were never spoken!!!!!!!!!

Miss. Mocha
Old 12-04-2000, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe that here in South Carolina we have the provision that if you become a teacher, your student loans will be forgiven/paid off. At one point you had to teach for two years, but I believe that it has been extended to five years. The state was not able to keep teachers, because after the two year time frame was over, the loans were paid off, and the teachers left.
Old 12-04-2000, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

BrandNubian

well its nice to meet someone from the "D"! I grew up in Romulus not to far, and even though i wouldn't consider the district disadvantaged (actually its far from it facility wise) it was on the list for perkins loan forgivness. so you may not necessarily (sp?) get put in a bad district or school. but i think i may want to try Detroit. Besides i could dig going to greektown everyday for an afterschool snack!!!!

meeks

------------------
The truly educated never graduate!
Old 12-04-2000, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

What about forgiveness for Stafford Loans.

------------------
You are the master of your own destiny!
Old 12-04-2000, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OES_24:
AS A TEACHER WHO TAUGHT IN A INNER CITY POVERTY BASED SCHOOL...I ASK AND PLEAD FOR U TO CHOSE WISELY...THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT COULD MAKE ME GO BACK TO THE SCHOOL WHERE I FIRST TAUGHT...IF IT IS A RURA/INNER CITY/POVERTY/ OR RICH SCHOOL DISTRICT....OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL CHECK OUT THE TEST SCORES, DESCIPLINE POLICY...ETC.....BE CAREFUL WHAT U SIGN.....I TEACH 2ND GRADE IN NC...AND SO MANY TEACHER WHO TEACH eog (GRADES 3-12) END OF GRADES ARE STRESSED OUT...CHOSE WISELY...THOUGH U MAY BE LOOKIN TO FIND AN RURAL AREA FOR LOAN FORGIVENESS..PLEASE CHOSE CAREFULLY..ESPECAILLY IF YOU ARE GOING IN AS A NEW TEACHER...OR

Yes, this MAY BE true! BUT, IF ONE GOES IN WITH THE APPROPRIATE TECHNIQUES IN CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT SKILLS, ONE SHOULD NOT/WILL NOT HAVE ANY REAL PROBLEMS!

Pick up materials by Harry Wong, for those who are deficient in Classroom management strategies...it should help!
Old 12-05-2000, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meeks:

you CAN get your perkins loan forgiven if you teach in a district with a given amount of disadvantaged students. this was told to me by a man in our finacial aid office. check out the link it is very detailed and specific. i plan on possibly going to Detroit to teach b/c they are offering HUUUUUUUGGGGGE incentives especially for those getting certified in critical shortage areas (ie math, science)
meeks:

Yes, I heard that your Perkins Loans can be forgiven, through Teach For America or otherwise. But, I'm not 100% sure. Once again, it varies. Also, I am looking at Detroit as well...it's my hometown; yes, they are offering great incentives ; and I would love the opportunity to be an educator in the community in which I grew up.

B.N.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meeks:
BrandNubian

well its nice to meet someone from the "D"! I grew up in Romulus not to far, and even though i wouldn't consider the district disadvantaged (actually its far from it facility wise) it was on the list for perkins loan forgivness. so you may not necessarily (sp?) get put in a bad district or school. but i think i may want to try Detroit. Besides i could dig going to greektown everyday for an afterschool snack!!!!

meeks
meeks:

Yes it is nice to meet someone from my beloved hometown. I'm from right smack in the heart of Detroit. I'm away at school, but there are times when I miss the "D" so much! Oh yeah...and greektown is one of the things I missed the most. Pizza Papalis (can't remember how to spell it) is the best! I don't have any Perkins loans, so I guess it doesn't apply to me anyway.

Peace Love and Progression,
B.N.