GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,219
4 members and 2,215 guests
aaidativanovoz6, KSigkid, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Pledge Education Course

Hello Brothers!

I was recently elected Pledgemaster for my chapter, and I must say, I am a little overwhelmed. Any ideas or stories about running a successful pledge education course?
Many thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Blue_True View Post
Hello Brothers!

I was recently elected Pledgemaster for my chapter, and I must say, I am a little overwhelmed. Any ideas or stories about running a successful pledge education course?
Many thanks!
OK, looked up Zeta Pi (Wayne State), looks like the last 4-5 pledge classes have been in the 8-12 pledge range.

First of all, I'd make sure that someone updates the chapter web page, Having "Rush Winter 2009" isn't exactly helpful to rush...

Other than that...
I'd suggest that the chapter officers give the talks on the relevant area of the pledge manual (leadership for the President, National and Chapter History for the historian, etc.).

There is nothing wrong with having a chapter based pledge manual in addition to the National one, so the pledges learn about chapter history including standard chapter service projects and other related things.

Talk to Eta Pi, maybe one or more weeks the pledge class meetings can be combined, it gives the pledges the feeling that there is a fraternity beyond the chapter. Joint ceremonies are also acceptable...

Just some ideas...

Randy

Last edited by naraht; 08-06-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: found more information...
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
OK, looked up Zeta Pi (Wayne State), looks like the last 4-5 pledge classes have been in the 8-12 pledge range.

First of all, I'd make sure that someone updates the chapter web page, Having "Rush Winter 2009" isn't exactly helpful to rush...

Other than that...
I'd suggest that the chapter officers give the talks on the relevant area of the pledge manual (leadership for the President, National and Chapter History for the historian, etc.).

There is nothing wrong with having a chapter based pledge manual in addition to the National one, so the pledges learn about chapter history including standard chapter service projects and other related things.

Talk to Eta Pi, maybe one or more weeks the pledge class meetings can be combined, it gives the pledges the feeling that there is a fraternity beyond the chapter. Joint ceremonies are also acceptable...

Just some ideas...

Randy
Cool! I have an addendum to the national pledge manual, I am trying to get the Pledge program of Excellence Award. I have been trying to reach Eta Pi, no luck

Our website, unfortunately, is out of our control because one of our last webmasters ran off with the password and we have no idea how to even begin to solve that problem.

My pledge class was seven people, two de-pledged and one couldnt pay....My pledgemaster was kind of indifferent to us, and I am trying to foster more friendship in the pledge class because I am not gonna lie, my pledge class is almost not friendly at all.

"To thine own self be true"
Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Cool! I have an addendum to the national pledge manual, I am trying to get the Pledge program of Excellence Award. I have been trying to reach Eta Pi, no luck

Our website, unfortunately, is out of our control because one of our last webmasters ran off with the password and we have no idea how to even begin to solve that problem.

My pledge class was seven people, two de-pledged and one couldnt pay....My pledgemaster was kind of indifferent to us, and I am trying to foster more friendship in the pledge class because I am not gonna lie, my pledge class is almost not friendly at all.
What's in the addendum, chapter history and projects? PPoE is cool... Don't stress that you can't contact them over the summer, I've seen everything in Summer activity from *no one* on campus to Summer pledge classes(Rare!). The Chairman of the Advisor Committee is Fr. J. Timothy Hipskind, his phone number and email are at http://www.udmercy.edu/academicaffai...tact/index.htm

The website is still under the school domain. At worst they should be able to entirely move the current web page elsewhere and let you start from scratch, but given that the content is available through the web, you should be able to grab what's currently there. The Director of Student Activities Office should know how to set up new organization websites, the same people should be able to reset the password or clean it...

Make sure the fellowship links go both within the pledge class and to the chapter, big brothers should help with the second, IMO a pledge lock-in can help with the first...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk with your Section Chair about getting in contact with neighboring chapters. He can be reached by email at section.55.chair@apo.org, and I know he is quite responsive.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What's in the addendum, chapter history and projects? PPoE is cool... Don't stress that you can't contact them over the summer, I've seen everything in Summer activity from *no one* on campus to Summer pledge classes(Rare!). The Chairman of the Advisor Committee is Fr. J. Timothy Hipskind, his phone number and email are at http://www.udmercy.edu/academicaffai...tact/index.htm

The website is still under the school domain. At worst they should be able to entirely move the current web page elsewhere and let you start from scratch, but given that the content is available through the web, you should be able to grab what's currently there. The Director of Student Activities Office should know how to set up new organization websites, the same people should be able to reset the password or clean it...

Make sure the fellowship links go both within the pledge class and to the chapter, big brothers should help with the second, IMO a pledge lock-in can help with the first...

The contact info is soo useful!!!! Love love love!
I am probably going to ask our historian to look into the website.
I am going to talk with the membership chair about how the big/little program is going to be structured; I think lack of structure IS the problem.
Don't mean to sound stupid, but do elaborate on the pledge lock in.....

Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid1978 View Post
Talk with your Section Chair about getting in contact with neighboring chapters. He can be reached by email at section.55.chair@apo.org, and I know he is quite responsive.

And yes, I have most definately stayed in contact with Doug, he is an awesome resource, and on our way to Membership Academy in Iowa, we talked a lot. I will be talking to him way more, as I do really feel like our chapter NEEDS to interact with the ones around us.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The contact info is soo useful!!!! Love love love!
I am probably going to ask our historian to look into the website.
I am going to talk with the membership chair about how the big/little program is going to be structured; I think lack of structure IS the problem.
Don't mean to sound stupid, but do elaborate on the pledge lock in.....
Not quite sure... I pledged more than 25 years ago, maybe someone who is not as old as Dirt can reply?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And yes, I have most definately stayed in contact with Doug, he is an awesome resource, and on our way to Membership Academy in Iowa, we talked a lot. I will be talking to him way more, as I do really feel like our chapter NEEDS to interact with the ones around us.
Very cool. If you need a little thought to help you through it... Just remember what Epsilon Lambda at Michigan Tech has to go through... And don't feel that you need to be limited by either your section or your region. University of Toledo isn't that far away!

Also, perhaps Alpha Phi Omega can get involved with the Wooden Shoes trophy, Grand Valley State now has a chapter...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

re: Pledge Lock-In

My chapter had them, though we called it a "Pledge Retreat."

On a weekend night about 2 weeks into the pledge semester, we'd reserve a large room on campus from say, 7pm-2am*. The only people allowed in were pledges and pledge staff. There was lots and lots of food, games (both icebreakers and regular board games), and general silliness. I remember it being a great time for pledges to interview each other for their sig books. The active brothers "crashed" (this was planned) towards the end of the night, after the pledges had had ample time to bond with each other.

*This is approximate. Looking back, it felt like six to eight hours' worth of fun but who knows. I know it always ended well after midnight.
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewasher418 View Post
My chapter had them, though we called it a "Pledge Retreat."

On a weekend night about 2 weeks into the pledge semester, we'd reserve a large room on campus from say, 7pm-2am*. The only people allowed in were pledges and pledge staff. There was lots and lots of food, games (both icebreakers and regular board games), and general silliness. I remember it being a great time for pledges to interview each other for their sig books. The active brothers "crashed" (this was planned) towards the end of the night, after the pledges had had ample time to bond with each other.

*This is approximate. Looking back, it felt like six to eight hours' worth of fun but who knows. I know it always ended well after midnight.
Ahhh! That sounds nice, I would love to plan that activity for the pledge class. Schedules seem to ALWAYS get in the way of things though. Most students at Wayne State University work and go to school, and some (myself included) have families to consider.
That shouldn't get in the way of a great idea though.
I like it!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I noticed that I did not answer naraht's question about what is in the addendum....

There is the requirements for pledge program completion, a syllabus, Interview sheets, service record sheet, fellowship record sheet, chapter history, and trivia. In total, the addendum is 20 pages long.

Now I do realize some of those sheets are in the Pledge Manual, however, my chapter has historically had a problem getting their hands on the actual manual, whether it be from the National Office or online, before the pledge program starts.
Also, my pledge binder had them, and I modeled my binder after my pledge class, seeing as I had to reinvent the wheel after our last TWO Pledgemasters ended their journey at WSU and never looked back.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I noticed that I did not answer naraht's question about what is in the addendum....

There is the requirements for pledge program completion, a syllabus, Interview sheets, service record sheet, fellowship record sheet, chapter history, and trivia. In total, the addendum is 20 pages long.

Now I do realize some of those sheets are in the Pledge Manual, however, my chapter has historically had a problem getting their hands on the actual manual, whether it be from the National Office or online, before the pledge program starts.
Also, my pledge binder had them, and I modeled my binder after my pledge class, seeing as I had to reinvent the wheel after our last TWO Pledgemasters ended their journey at WSU and never looked back.
That's cool. I *might* add a general description of service projects which have been done regularly, but that's about all I can think of.

http://www.apo.org/site/site_files/pledgemanual.pdf

Previous pledge masters... Ouch.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's cool. I *might* add a general description of service projects which have been done regularly, but that's about all I can think of.

http://www.apo.org/site/site_files/pledgemanual.pdf

Previous pledge masters... Ouch.
Nice. I think I will include two projects from my pledge class, and one of our annual projects; I have the 2011-2012 Manual, which actually leads me to another question: Is another edition going to be put out?
I plan to assemble my binders for both Fall and Winter Pledge class at the same time, and I just want to make sure before I spend the chapters money on a MAJOR print job.

And yes, officer retention for my chapter sucks

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nice. I think I will include two projects from my pledge class, and one of our annual projects; I have the 2011-2012 Manual, which actually leads me to another question: Is another edition going to be put out?
I plan to assemble my binders for both Fall and Winter Pledge class at the same time, and I just want to make sure before I spend the chapters money on a MAJOR print job.

And yes, officer retention for my chapter sucks
As opposed to back in the 1950s, over the last 30 years, the Fraternity has put out one pledge manual for each convention cycle. So a new pledge manual won't be produced until after the 2012 convention. The one on apo.org is good for this fall.

Fall and Winter pledge classes? Is Wayne State on a quarter system or is the Winter pledge class the one that starts in January/February?

As for the pledge manuals, you can order those from the National Office for free, pick a large enough number that you are sure and order them. Beats having to have the chapter pay for printing...