GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,985
0 members and 1,985 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPARose View Post
I have a question for all you ex-competitive dancers out there: Is it normal to have a competition EVERY weekend? I get the impression that most of the other dance companies a) bring in more dancers for their competitions than just 1 team of 7 girls and b) only go to competitions once every two months or so.

As this season progresses, I've also become convinced that the whole thing is staged, especially the "rivalry" with Candy Apples. Abby was on an episode of "Drop Dead Diva" and it her "acting" was basically the same way she was as on the show. I'm pretty sure the whole group is self aware. And at least, not they are asking the kids to leave the room when they "fight".

Hi, My name is TPARose, and I am addicted to crap TV.
Not for me it wasn't! That may have to do with my geographical location (it would become stupidly expensive to get to competitions). I personally think that whole "new dance each week" (which isn't actually a new dance, just reorganised choreography) is not useful for anyone. If these girls are professional dancers on broadway (or somewhere similar), they will more likely than not have rehearsed choreography for months, so this isn't really doing anything for the girls. And as a viewer, I would rather see maybe two or three group dances from ALDC, rather than a rehashed group dance and 3 solos that are all running together really quickly. I don't know if I'll watch it to the same extent anymore, I don't need to see the same thing over and over.

Also, just on cost and time, I have no idea why they are sinking this much time into it. There are not that many companies that aren't ballet or modern, and these girls don't all have the "it" factor that broadway style shows require. They are spending how many thousands to go to competitions that all in all mean very little in the dance world, should you choose to become a professional. There are about 8 different "national" conventions, just run by different companies, so having a national title doesn't actually carry that much weight sadly.

/End dance rant
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Kelly is seriously one irritating, jealous & annoying wretch. She freaks out at any new dancers joining not because they haven't paid their dues but because I believe she's threatened that the new dancers may be better than Paige & Brooke so they will be replaced.

Abby has said & done a lot of stupid/annoying stuff but giving that Glitz & Glamor dance to Chloe because she said Chloe was the type of girl who would stab you in the back and step over you to get ahead was definitely crossing a line. I just don't get why any parent would allow anyone to talk about their child this way. It's sickening.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me or do the moms seem to be getting a little more "Real Housewives"-esque this season? Kelly throws crazy tantrums and storms out, Holly is being way more assertive, and Jill... is Jill REALLY that delusional? Doesn't she have a life? I don't understand why it is so important that her 10 year old kid be on a competition team. This is not going to lead to a starring role on Broadway or Hollywood.

Also, I'm not sure whose ego is bigger, Abby or Melissa. Melissa, more than any of the other moms, seems to be the worst when it comes to being a stage mother.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I have to admit I love me some Dance Moms. Jill is hella delusional and Kelly just needs to calm the hell down
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Ignoring how disturbing the group dance was, I thought the finale was pretty good

Also, Wikipedia claims that Christi is a sister of Alpha Sigma Alpha.

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't get the last episode to load on my MacBookPro. Frustrating. I've tried everything I know to get it to load. Never had this problem until now. GRRRR.

Finally got it, and watched it. Then caught the last episode and the reunion last night (wasted evening, it happens).

I think Abby has vocal nodules. Her voice is getting worse and worse. It's difficult to listen to her; she has to use a lot of force when she's speaking, so much so that she's almost yelling all the time. As the season progressed, I hardly ever heard her speak at a low or normal volume.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you using the Lifetime website? I just watched it on my macbook pro and it worked fine. Sometimes it gets sticky though and you have to quit the internet browser and go back and it should be running fine.

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh good LORD... Lifetime is giving Abby yet another series to be nasty in.

Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition
Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Oh good LORD... Lifetime is giving Abby yet another series to be nasty in.

Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition
Oh man, I'm going to hate watch the heck out of that show!!

It seems like the age range of the contestants is a little young to be submitted to Simon Cowell-esque critique. It's an awfully public place to be humiliated, especially at an age when you are so easily swayed by other's perception of you.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I absolutely loved the first season, but now the dance moms are wayyyy to crazy.

I agree with TPARose--I am a little bit scared that Abby is going to be spreading her constant negative criticism to all of those little girls on such a public stage. Yikes!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone still watching this show?

I'm so on the fence about it. It's getting harder and harder to watch Abby constantly demean and bully these girls. The episode 2 weeks ago was brutal. Abby was so horrible to Chloe. Why on earth does she hate this little girl so much? Her continuous favoritism towards Maddie is beyond obnoxious. Maddie was wretched in that episode. She screwed up and became a brat.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot that show existed, but was watching Drop Dead Diva (great show, BTW ) and the teacher was a guest star. I think I looked it up and saw that the show was still on, but it just seems so off the wall.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems that Dance Moms is headed down the same path as most other "reality" shows. It has to become nastier or more controversial and produce more & more drama every week, in order to stay on the air. Not much interest in watching people who play nice & work together, I guess. Someone is always stabbing/ being stabbed in the back.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Dance moms

This is one of the best shows ever and btw Abbey Lee Miller isn't as mean as she appears on television!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
Anyone still watching this show?

I'm so on the fence about it. It's getting harder and harder to watch Abby constantly demean and bully these girls. The episode 2 weeks ago was brutal. Abby was so horrible to Chloe. Why on earth does she hate this little girl so much? Her continuous favoritism towards Maddie is beyond obnoxious. Maddie was wretched in that episode. She screwed up and became a brat.
Oh no! What did I miss? How was Abby horrible to Chloe? I must have missed that episode! It is beyond obnoxious about her favoritism. I have to admit that this season, so far, is kind of lame. I mean, following the Candy Apples has made the storyline kind of stale for me. Sure, I'll watch it but, I really want to see the drama (yes, I just admitted to that) of the moms at Abby Lee Miller's dance studio. What do you all think?

*Side Note: When does GLEE return?