GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,359
1 members and 1,358 guests
John

Old 01-06-2021, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Raphael Warnock

CNN is projecting that Alpha Phi Alpha Brother Raphael Warnock has been elected to represent Georgia in the Senate.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/05/polit...lts/index.html

He would be the third Alpha to do so. Edward Brooke of Massacusetts was the first. He was president of Beta Chapter at Howard University, and served on the National Board of Directors, first as Assistant Regional Vice President (an undergraduate position), then as Regional Vice President.

The second was Roland Burris of Illinois. He was initiated through Beta Eta Chapter at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale. He is a current member of Xi Lambda, an alumni chapter in Chicago.

Warnock was initiated into Alpha Gamma Lambda Chapter, affectionately known as the Harlem Alphas, in 1993. AGL is an alumni chapter. He is now a member of Eta Lambda in Atlanta.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to Senator Elect Warnock. I think he will represent the state of Georgia with kindness, compassion and intelligence.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank God.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Alpha Phi Alpha brother that may be in the mix...

The Commanding General of the DC National Guard is also an Alpha Phi Alpha brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Walker
https://www.nationalguard.mil/portal...io/2/2394.html
Old 01-07-2021, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Bless Sen-elect Warnock. The good Lord knows that in these troubled times we need good sense and compassion. Also thumbs up to the second Sen-elect Ossoff.
I’m still shaken from yesterday and last night.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Bless Sen-elect Warnock. The good Lord knows that in these troubled times we need good sense and compassion. Also thumbs up to the second Sen-elect Ossoff.
I’m still shaken from yesterday and last night.
Ossoff went to my alma mater. :-) He's way younger than me, though! Georgetown does have traditional fraternities now, as well as APO, business fraternities, and the foreign service fraternity. I can find no evidence that he joined any of those.

I'm a Quaker. My local meeting changed their regularly scheduled Bible study to a meeting for worship last night. I feel a lot better for having sat in the silence for that hour.

Tough times, but we're going to make it.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Ossoff went to my alma mater. :-) He's way younger than me, though! Georgetown does have traditional fraternities now, as well as APO, business fraternities, and the foreign service fraternity. I can find no evidence that he joined any of those.

I'm a Quaker. My local meeting changed their regularly scheduled Bible study to a meeting for worship last night. I feel a lot better for having sat in the silence for that hour.

Tough times, but we're going to make it.
Only student group that I can find that Ossoff was part of is Georgetown Chimes, an acapella singing group. That got mentioned in an article on the fact that under 30s living lives on social media which means that the videos of Ossoff's performances are online. Most of the hits for "Jon Ossoff" are either ones about him and Warnock together mentioning Warnock being in Alpha Phi Alpha *or* something like the "roll to the polls" for both Warnock and Ossoff...

I also checked his campaign bio, nothing mentioned there. Graduating from the Foreign Service school, Delta Phi Epsilon Professional was a possibility, but I can't find that.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

The DNC did an outstanding job recruiting both candidates to represent Georgia in the U.S. Senate. Yesterday was an historic day for so many reasons.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You

Thank God for all of you.

Chi Omega
Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Thank God.
This. So. Much. This.