GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,032
0 members and 1,032 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2002, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Is a "Pimps and Ho's Party" disrepectful???

I have to ask this...

I know that some fraternities have a "Pimps and Ho's" party. Some brothers want to bring it up to my chapter to have one, but I think that is it disrespectful, and kinda racist. Am I overreacting??? I mean, it's just for fun, but it just seems as if that is playing on bad sterotypes. What do others think??? Have we gotten so P.C. on campus that things like the KA's "Old South" party and the ever popular "Screw your Roommate" party are wrong? What do you think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2002, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

pimps and hos

I totally agree with you -sure it's fun to have theme parties but I myself can't see dressing like a "ho" ... I think that it is degrading -I am not one of those psycho feminist people but pimps can be any race (as can hos) but being a pimp doesn't really carry the same connotation. I just don't really see the good of it besides showing some skin... am I wrong?

I also wanted to say we just got phi sig back on campus (after 6 years) and I think they are some of the nicest guys... Dan Patrick from ESPN was one at my school -way to uphold the image!
Old 06-06-2002, 11:41 PM
Unregistered-

To me, it's not really disrespectful. To our Executive Council, it was.

But I can totally understand what you're saying. You're not overreacting at all!

The semester I 'pledged' AGD, the Social Chair wanted to have a Pimp and Hoez party...the idea was nixed by EC...and b/c Risk Management was not approved, we ended up having it as an unofficial party at someone's house. While the majority in attendance were people of Greek affiliation, people ended up bringing guests along. Everyone understood that it was not affiliated with AGD in any way, and whoever wanted to come, came. Whoever was uncomfortable with the idea didn't have to attend, so everyone was happy with the end result.

Personally, I had fun because it was neat seeing everyone and their costumes (because to me, it really was a costume party).
Old 06-07-2002, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't really see it as disrespectful. A lot of greeks have that as a social on my campus. It's seen as "dress up" it's not like the boys run around flashing $10 bills in front of your face like you were indeed a "ho". I definetly don't see how it could be considered racist either. I think now a days everything has to be so PC to not upset everyone. I think people need to relax a little and not take everything so seriously, it's college for godsake!

Heather~
Old 06-07-2002, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Zeta Eta Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta Eta
Every year our campus throws a couple of pimps and ho's parties. They are always great. The girls and guy love to dress up and get hammed. I think if you are going to have a theme party have it as that a theme...don't look too deep into things or your entire social scene will revolve around what is PC and what is not.
Here are some other ideas:
Gangsta Party
Anything for money
Stop Light Party
Jungle

want to know more email me
LJDiaz@scu.edu

Sigma Pi
Old 06-07-2002, 03:40 AM

Talking

Maybe it's just my campus, but at the ones I've been to not all the pimps are guys, and not all the hos are girls.

Lots of fun.
I'm not too worried about disrespecting actual pimps and hos!
Old 06-07-2002, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds no worse than the "White Trash Trailer Bash" that I know several different fraternities at different area schools throw.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-07-2002, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually a Pimps & Ho's party was one of the best parties I've been to and had the most fun at.

What the difference between Pimps & Hos and Halloween? Nothing, everyone is dressing up as someone other than who they are in their everyday life.

Try having the girls dress like the Pimps and the guys dress like the Ho's...that is even more funny!!!
Old 06-07-2002, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand how it could be viewed as racist? Every race has Pimps and ho's. That's way it's called the "oldest profession." They are everywhere!
Old 06-07-2002, 10:17 AM

We had pimps and hos mixers, but only with fraternities we were very close with and socialized with all the time - where we both knew it was a big goof. I would be leery of it with a fraternity I didn't know very well.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:39 AM

I don't find it offensive. It's actually a really fun social event.
The girls who didn't want to participate didn't. And, of course, not a single girl would dress completely trashy.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
Maybe it's just my campus, but at the ones I've been to not all the pimps are guys, and not all the hos are girls.

Lots of fun.
I'm not too worried about disrespecting actual pimps and hos!
Okay, now that changes the whole dynamic. It came across that all the guys were the pimps and all the girls were the hoes.
I would have no issue at all being pimp, "pimping" a guy ho!

However, I still don't like the title of it. It can give the wrong impression, to the people on the outside looking in.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-07-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

what is a screw your roommate party?
Old 06-07-2002, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

"Pimp's and Ho's party"??
" White Trash Trailer Bash"??(how does one "dress up" as this?)

WTF, have folks lost all creativity when it comes to party themes???? I mean, they do sell books that cater specifically to party themes, backgrounds, etc.

I thought greeks (or maybe its just in BGLO culture) were considered role models and a "cut above"?

Do you think your founders would approve of party themes such as the ones above or is it keeping with the organizations core values and mission?

***shaking head*****
Old 06-07-2002, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

pimps and hoes....
i dont think its disrespectful at all, but i hate them. i have never had fun at one, and i have no idea how to dress like a pimp without going out and buying a bunch of stupid crap...lol.