GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,702
3 members and 2,699 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 12-15-2001, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Sorority Misconceptions: a must read

I was surfing the U of Arizona's Kappa Alpha Theta webpage, and found this list of sorority misconceptions. Great read, not only for those interested in Theta, but sororities on the whole! Great job, U of A Thetas! Hopefully they do not mind me copying and pasting this.

Myth: All sorority girls are skinny, blonde and have big boobs.
False! The porportion of Thetas who look like this is equal to the porportion of such women in society. Sorority girls generally reflect the population of the entire student body.

Myth: If you CAN get into a sorority without being a skinny, big-boobed blonde, the girls will make you lose weight and change the way you look.
False! At Theta, we believe strongly in being ourselves. The individuality and genuine nature of the women in Theta are two of the main reasons rushees are drawn here in the first place. We would never encourage anyone to change the way she looked unless she wanted to AND it was a healthy decision.

Myth: The only thing sorority girls are interested in is looking good for the frat guys. If you join one, you always have to look perfect or you'll be "dragging down the house's reputation."
False! First of all, we don't really care WHAT the frat guys think, since they certainly don't seem to care about showering or shaving for US. Second, we appreciate the fact that everyone has her own style, whether it's a closet full of dresses or jeans. Our reputation is based on our personalities, not hairstyles or clothes.

Myth: Sorority girls hate other houses and independents. If you join a sorority, you can't talk to any other girls.
False! Most Thetas have very close friends in other houses, or who don't belong to a sorority. We also play intramural sports with other houses, do service projects like neighborhood cleanups, and have sorority socials and gift exchanges quite often.

Myth: If you join a sorority, you're expected to party and drink, even if it means your grades suffer.
False! Theta places an extremely high importance on grades and school, and encourages every member to do her best. Grades must be above a certain GPA or privileges to attend social events are revoked. And most importantly, Thetas NEVER pressure one another to party. This is not an expectation for belonging to this house.

Myth: Actives are only nice to you during rush. Once you pledge, they haze you and make you do all kinds of humiliating things to earn your way in.
Wrong! Theta is a non-hazing sorority. We believe in strengthening our members' self-confidence, not in dragging each other down. Our main goal is to make our New Members feel comfortable here. If anything, we spoil them!

Created by Jenny Perra

Last edited by CA theta; 12-15-2001 at 08:22 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2001, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Beautiful post, Angelina!

I went to visit the U of A Thetas a few years ago, and they ROCK!!

Theta love,
Caitlin
Old 12-15-2001, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. Nice post
Old 12-16-2001, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up agreed

excellent post
mmcat
Old 12-16-2001, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

That is wonderful!!!
Old 12-16-2001, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Very Good! This can apply to every sorority out there.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AOIIAngel
That is wonderful!! Good job to the Thetas!!!!
Old 12-16-2001, 09:36 PM

Great post

The only thing I would want to add to a website like this, is that a lot of these qualities don't just apply to Theta, but to all NPC sororities. For instance, the non-hazing thing is, I believe, an NPC rule - if not, it's been adopted by most if not all NPC sororities (certainly by mine). And most, if not all, NPC sororities have a no alcohol policy - all the ones represented on my campus, including Theta, do. So the "you're expected to party and drink" myth is doubly untrue.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Great post... I agree Cream, this can definitely apply to every sorority!
Old 12-17-2001, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish that most houses had something like this. It would have actually helped me when I was a misguided rushee.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Great post!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree completely

This was a really important message to post, and I'm so glad you did. I would also like to add that although during my years in the Greek system, I have seen/known many physically attractive women, I have met numerous more who are amazingly beautiful on the inside and who have been with me through so much in my life. I LOVE my sisters, and during rush, I can assure you that the women who stood out and were selected were those whose personalities, charm, humor, and intellect reached out and made us take notice. Quite frankly, I believe that most sororities operate similarly in this respect.

*Carrie*
Old 01-12-2002, 05:11 PM

This was a great posting, but I must comment that the very nature of the "Myths" perpetuated some very common stereotypes of women in general. You don't have to be blonde or have big boobs to be attractive, and not all girls who are or do would be considered attractive anyway. As someone who is the complete antithesis of that description (as a LARGE number of KSUs beautiful sorority women were) I find it kind of lame.

(jumping down off soapbox....)

That said, I think that the intention of the piece was GREAT and I wish every school would put something like this out at the begiinning of the year.....and it really wouldn't hurt to put one out for the fraternity guys too.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 07-26-2002, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I'd be interested in creating a similar sheet for a small, liberal arts Greek system. Any of y'all who attend such a school will understand when I say that we encounter unique prejudices that apply to the Greek system in general and sororities in particular. A common one is that sororities (elitist and exclusive by nature)are anathema to the mindset of one seeking a positive liberal arts experience. I think it would be a great thing to put up on my school's website and/or plaster all over the girls' bathrooms of the freshman dorms.

If you're from a similar situation and would like to help, PM me. Thanks!