GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,220
2 members and 2,218 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
In Illinois I can buy liquor at Target! It's like a freaking free-for-all! It's strange for me, being from NY and going to college in PA.

Yes, in PA you can not buy alcohol in grocery stores. Beer comes from beer distributors and wine and liquor come from state stores. It was a huge deal when they passed a law that distributors could be open at all on Sundays, but AFAIK they're still not open for a full business day.
I really liked the state liquor stores in PA...pretty inexpensive (well, compared to NYC standards) and organized. The liquor stores in my neighborhood are well-stocked, but kind of cluttered.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I really liked the state liquor stores in PA...pretty inexpensive (well, compared to NYC standards) and organized. The liquor stores in my neighborhood are well-stocked, but kind of cluttered.
I do find it interesting how both NY and PA outlaw everclear. A friend of mine asked me where to buy everclear because a friend of hers asked her to bring it to Philly. My friend thought it was ultrahard to find and expensive.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I do find it interesting how both NY and PA outlaw everclear. A friend of mine asked me where to buy everclear because a friend of hers asked her to bring it to Philly. My friend thought it was ultrahard to find and expensive.
Ok, I am shocked again! I mean I know the stuff is strong, but outlawing it? Obviously I'm not much of a traveler, but it really just surprises me some of the restrictions that are in place in other states.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectinpurple View Post
Ok, I am shocked again! I mean I know the stuff is strong, but outlawing it? Obviously I'm not much of a traveler, but it really just surprises me some of the restrictions that are in place in other states.
Yes, I don't know when that happened - sometime in the 90s- you can't buy grain in PA unless you have a super duper special permit. Here is a handy article. (or two)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_54498334/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_..._alcohol_in_pa

I find it quite ironic that our Whiskey Rebellion state outlaws any alcohol, but whatever.

Here is another handy thread. http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1530

The state store system can be a huge pain in the ass, but when you grow up here, you just get used to it and plan accordingly (much like the weather). One of my former coworkers was convinced that all of the big-box drugstores that were springing up were doing so in preparation for privatization, but I have yet to see that.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

The state store system can be a huge pain in the ass, but when you grow up here, you just get used to it and plan accordingly (much like the weather).
That's the way I feel. It's just not that big a deal. But, I think I do most of my drinking in bars these days (instead of house or dorm parties), so it's never been a major hassle.

The ban on grain alcohol, on the same token, bothers me very little. Rhode Island (where I went to college) did not have a ban on it; Massachusetts--the next state over--did. I haven't had the stuff since I left RI so I neither know nor care if it's banned in NYS. But KEGS were/are illegal in Rhode Island. Weird, weird state.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks 33girl! The articles were pretty interesting... although the one entitled "Pennsylvania Halts Grain Alcohol Sales to Reduce Binge Drinking" made me laugh. I'm not sure if anyone I know would suggest binge drinking on Everclear. I think the label even says to not drink it alone (although I know some people who don't follow the warning). I think most people here use it to make jungle juice, which I can't imagine not having at a party.

But then again, I guess that's just Illinois.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I love how this went from a thread on party themes to one on various liquor laws.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The only liquor law I know of in Illinois is that there are local time limits to when alcohol can be bought on Sundays.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I love how this went from a thread on party themes to one on various liquor laws.

This reminds me that I need to do more drunk postings here on GC. I tend to do drunk Tweets now, but I did some awesome posts on the DRUNK!! thread for a while.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

that was a funny thread. next time I get sloshed I'm posting on it.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

The state store system can be a huge pain in the ass, but when you grow up here, you just get used to it and plan accordingly (much like the weather).
As someone born, raised and attended college in PA I was shocked once I moved to actually see alcohol in grocery stores! Even now when I go into Target and see the adult beverage section, I sometimes still can't believe it. I personally never minded making the trip to the beer distributor and then to the Wine & Spirit Store - unless its a Sunday and the Eagles are on

As for Everclear, we had to make a trip to DE or MD I believe. Did anyone else go to a school where Jungle Juice was called something different? We called it Skippy (no idea why).
Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

This reminds me that I need to do more drunk postings here on GC. I tend to do drunk Tweets now, but I did some awesome posts on the DRUNK!! thread for a while.
I planned on bumping the DRUNK thread in a few days when I got back to school :P

Also, why is Keystone supposedly a college staple? No one at my school EVER buys it but when I go to other schools, there's bound to be Shitstone Light somewhere.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Also, why is Keystone supposedly a college staple? No one at my school EVER buys it but when I go to other schools, there's bound to be Shitstone Light somewhere.
SMU has too much money to buy it.

I don't remember what I drank when I was there last at the fraternity house.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Nasty Light at my school, though one fraternity uses mostly PBR.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's Nasty Light at my school, though one fraternity uses mostly PBR.
hah two of my friends love PBR. And people usually only buy Nasty Light like the first few weeks of school when beer is basically free at parties. Then it goes away.