GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,531
1 members and 2,530 guests
John

Old 03-29-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
Not to stir the pot, BUT... "Carolina" to some people means NORTH CAROLINA!
To me, you are both West Virginia.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
Not to stir the pot, BUT... "Carolina" to some people means NORTH CAROLINA!
*COUGHCOUGH*ME*COUGHCOUGH*

go 'heels
Old 03-29-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Okay, I would argue that nation-wide "Carolina" is recognized most often as the University of North Carolina.

I find it funny when people talk about "State." Like everyone refers to my school (North Carolina State University) as State...but State refers to any school of a similar name in any State...

Maybe it just makes me smile.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Jeez, sorry I said anything. Yes, most of the time I know USC on this board as being Southern California, except when it is PKTKKG or I talking, because we both live here.

And yes, Carolina is North Carolina, except when followed by a sentence stating "USC down south means Carolina" then it's South Carolina.

PS-I will start typing out University of South Carolina when you all start typing out University of Southern California, how's that for a compromise?

PPS-Can we return to the point of the thread? JEEZ! Don't jump down my throat just because I was trying to defend someone else!!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl

*ETA: All this is beside the point - let's see some more drool-worthy gorgeous Greek houses!
Check out the plans for the new Pike house at FSU (that would be Florida State University to avoid any confusion)

"Rooms in our new house will be constructed in the "two-by-two" format. That is, each man will have his own bedroom and bathroom; two men share a small parlor/living room and kitchen. Imagine that sort of fraternity house living when we were in school!"

First Floor

Second Floor
Old 04-10-2004, 10:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
KD at Iowa State
Old 04-10-2004, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

What fun to see all these houses! The Gamma Phi Beta house at SMU has one of those lovely curving staircases. The whole house is beautiful.

I especially like to see the "older" houses. They seem to have more personality than the more modern ones,in my opinion. At Texas, so many of the older houses are gone now. The ones remaining that I can think of are Kappa, Alpha Phi, Tri-Delta, Pi Phi, Zeta, Fiji. Kappa Sigma had a beautiful old house at the end of the parkway leading to the main mall, but the state bought it back when I was there and tore it down. It's STILL a parking lot to this day - does that ever burn me up!!
Old 05-22-2004, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
Alpha Kappa Lambda @ Mizzou

My house... as of this August..

Front

-Matt
Old 05-22-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

TKE Chapters...

Here are some TKE Chapters...

Gamma Chapter at University of Illinois - Champaign...

http://www.tkegamma.org/

Scorpion Chapter at Cornell University...

http://scorpiontke.org/ABOUT_Scorpion_Chapter.htm

Brand New 3 million dollar house at NC State (Beta-Beta)

And others...

GO BEACH!!!

Last edited by SurfinDBeach; 05-23-2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Just curious. This may be a dumb question. But does NYU have fraternity and sorority houses? Or any of the schools in NYC for that matter--? I am just trying to picture a fabulous house in the middle of the city..
Old 05-22-2004, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hottytoddy
Just curious. This may be a dumb question. But does NYU have fraternity and sorority houses? Or any of the schools in NYC for that matter--? I am just trying to picture a fabulous house in the middle of the city..
funny, i posted on this earlier in the thread i think...

we dont have houses--we have a "greek" dorm (on 3rd ave. and 12th st. if i can recall correctly), which certain floors are reserved for greeks (which i find cool--you get a greek housing sticker on your ID, and a special elevator keycard for access). most of them are locals, but i recall AST, TKE, AEphi, and SAMmy being the big ones at 3N. they have their "greek parties" in their houses, but usually at local clubs, or up at columbia (which ive heard are much better)

our union square dorm (palladium) houses DphiE and i think delta phi. broome st. dorm houses a local and aKDP.

SIA and Phiota arent housed sadly, and our NPHCs are city-wide. NYU members in BGLOs become members at other schools (AKA and AphiA at Columbia, DST is a city-wide here, but based at Lehman college, ZphiB at Hunter or Pace [i think im severely wrong on this! will check]) which needs to change in the near future!) i dont think BGLOs have houses here in the city, aside from Columbia.)
they also changing third north to all-freshman dorm, so theyre kicking the greeks out to the penthouses in the downtown dorms (cliff, water, and lafayette st. dorms).

overall, i like the feel of the floor "houses," but it would be cool if they had "houses." but it would be crazy expenive to rent/buy a place downtown to call a house. and it ould be awkward--imagine walking down broadway and coming across greek letters, in between armani exchange and crate and barrel? pretty funny.

at columbia, i believe the greeks have houses. however, columbia is more of a closed campus than NYU will ever be, so its different.

the CUNYs dont have houses, as they are all commuter schools.

fraternities/sororities at NYU (i only recognize a few as national org's--in bold). perhaps you can sort it out for yourself, for whatever reasons. a lot of the orgs represented here on GC arent at NYU (ex. DG, DZ, PhiMU, Omega Psi Phi, KAPsi)

Alpha Epsilon Phi AEF
Alpha Phi Zeta AFZ
Alpha Sigma Tau AST
Delta Phi Epsilon DFE
Kappa Psi Delta KYD
Theta Phi Beta QFB
Zeta Sigma Phi ZSF
Alpha Epsilon Pi AEP
Delta Kappa Epsilon DKE
Delta Phi DF
Iota Nu Delta IND
Lambda Phi Epsilon LFE
Phi Gamma Delta FGD
Phi Iota Alpha FIA
Pi Delta Psi PDY
Pi Kappa Alpha PKA
Sigma Alpha Mu SAM
Sigma Phi Epsilon SFE
Tau Epsilon Phi TEF
Tau Kappa Epsilon TKE
Zeta Psi ZY
Alpha Kappa Alpha AKA
alpha Kappa Delta Phi aKDF
Kappa Phi Lambda KFL
Lambda Pi Chi LPC
Lambda Upsilon Lambda

wow, that was a lot.

Last edited by tld221; 05-22-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
I'm so glad this thread got bumped.

Here are pics of all the houses here at Hillsdale:

Fraternities

ATO:

Their house is really pretty - it used to be the college president's house. Their alumni board recently remodeled the interior and built them an "annex" in which to hold parties.

Delta Sigma Phi:

Although I've never really been inside this house, it's very pretty on the outside... I think it looks like a gingerbread house, but that's just me.

Sigma Chi:

Their house is very historic, apparently it's the fourth oldest in the county. Their alumni are in the process of building them an annex like the one at ATO so they can remodel the inside.

Sororities

Alpha Xi Delta:

This house is gorgeous, inside and out, but small. Sadly, our AXD chapter relinquished their charter this month, but the college will be using their house as a dorm in the coming years. Like the Sigma Chi house, it's very historic.

Chi Omega:

Also a very pretty house, although I've only been inside once.

Kappa:

Beautiful house, I adore the blue shutters and doors. The picture does not do it justice!

Pi Phi:

My home! This picture doesn't do our beautiful house justice, either, but oh well.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
funny, i posted on this earlier in the thread i think...

we dont have houses--we have a "greek" dorm (on 3rd ave. and 12th st. if i can recall correctly), which certain floors are reserved for greeks (which i find cool--you get a greek housing sticker on your ID, and a special elevator keycard for access). most of them are locals, but i recall AST, TKE, AEphi, and SAMmy being the big ones at 3N. they have their "greek parties" in their houses, but usually at local clubs, or up at columbia (which ive heard are much better)
Third Avenue North. I stayed there in 1994 when I was interning in NYC. It's on 3rd Ave and 11th Street...at least the entrance is on 11th Street. (it is a giant building so the back is on 12th street) It's all apartments and it is really nice.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
I hope this works...I still don't quite know how to work the picture posting feature. But here's the Phi Mu fountian in the middle of campus.

Sorry if it didn't work.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

The Phi Mu fountain at Ole Miss is so gorgeous, it is just what that part of campus needed. The Tri Delta's are building a garden and walk way area near Fulton Chapel in honor of their 100th anniversary last month.