GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,414
2 members and 1,412 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

But NPHC sororities focused on both (macro and micro)....so they did more. Nothing is wrong with that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Of course, since the "word" Ms. wasn't coined until the 1960s or 70s, she might have been confused to see herself called Ms. Collins. (On the other hand, if she was Southern, she probably wouldn't be confused to hear it, since "Mrs." is typically pronounced "Miz" in the South. )
Just to add more info:

MLC hailed from Pennsylvania -- Loveville, PA to be exact.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Just to add more info:

MLC hailed from Pennsylvania -- Loveville, PA to be exact.
Actually I googled, and the only Loveville I found is in Maryland. Pennsylvania has Intercourse instead of Love.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually I googled, and the only Loveville I found is in Maryland. Pennsylvania has Intercourse instead of Love.
Who needs love when you have intercourse?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Mary Love Collins was born in Loveville, PA in 1882. She attended Conway Hall Preparatory School and Dickinson College where she earned a B.A. in 1902 and an M.A. in 1908. Mrs. Collins graduated from the University of Kentucky Law College in 1915. In 1918 she taught courses at the University of Kentucky and from 1919 - 20 she was an attorney in the solicitor's office of the U.S. Bureau of Internal Revenue.

Mary Love became president of Chi Omega Fraternity in 1910 and served in this capacity until 1952 when she became administrative councilor until her death in 1972. She was buried in Tyrone, PA.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Huh. It must not be on the map. Has anyone from OPB (Out Past Breezewood) ever heard of it?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

It looks like her family had connections to Tyrone, PA, but several sources cite her birthplace as Loveville. Maybe it's no longer a spot on the map.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Mary Love became president of Chi Omega Fraternity in 1910 and served in this capacity until 1952 when she became administrative councilor until her death in 1972. She was buried in Tyrone, PA.
Then maybe Ms. wouldn't have confused her.

But can I just say wow on being national president for 41 years!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Who is downplaying the NPC's involvement in the equality movement? If anything the OP did that by the title and substance of the post.
It appears that some of these NPC women feel that their sororities were not part of the equality (gender, race, or class) movements beyond a couple of members here and there trying to be active.

This is certainly news to me and probably to some other NPC women. Pardon me for crashing their thread in which they were able to celebrate the extent of their equality involvement.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Who needs love when you have intercourse?
You got the easy joke before I could.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
You got the easy joke before I could.
haha, gotta get the cheap thrills in when i can.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
But NPHC sororities focused on both (macro and micro)....so they did more. Nothing is wrong with that.
LOL.

We weren't even trying to say we did more, though. I asked the Theta a question and provided the Delta Founders involvement as an illustration of what I was talking about. But it is important to note that macro and micro involvement from a group of black women who experienced racial and gender structural and interaction-level constraints is definitely discussion-worthy. So I assumed that women who didn't have to deal with the same types of constraints would've been even MORE adamently involved. I guess I was wrong.

I wanted to celebrate what all sororities did to demand equal rights. This thread is about the first well publicized case (I guess?) but there was stuff going on before this that folks may know of--or not but we could share info. Afterall, the first NPC sororities were founded in the mid to late 1800s and the first NPHC sororities were founded in the early 1900s, right?

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 03-26-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Race War 2008:
Panhellenic vs Pan-Hellenic - The Hyphen Drawn in the Sand
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Race War 2008:
Panhellenic vs Pan-Hellenic - The Hyphen Drawn in the Sand
LOL you always had a way with words. (though im SURE this thread is just a battle of said war)
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I agree with you in theory, but this thread had gotten a little dismissive of the NPC.
You all are dismissing yourselves. I asked a question and never got an answer. If NPC women were involved at a macro level, just share the dern info. I'd think you all would be proud to do so instead of making excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
This quote in particular was offensive, "On an organizational level, it isn't enough to just exist. It isn't even enough to just be able to boast that one of your chapters was able to get equal ironing and smoking rights on campus."
And I stand by my quote 100%. You all made it about the NPC as a whole because you feel that it applies to the NPC as a whole. Simple as that.

An NPHC sorority who had a thread in which they boasted on having the first tea on a college campus during times of great social inequalities and turmoil would get the same "but what else have you REALLY done" questions from us. If they couldn't answer for their sorority, they could at least remind us of what OTHER NPHC sororities did during those times. But the NPC women in this thread did not even do that.

I won't even get into the history behind the women's suffrage movement. Suffice it to say that the women's suffrage movement (and the women's liberation movement) far more impacted white middle class women than it did poor white women and racial and ethnic minority women. So how is that possible if a substantial percentage of college enrolled and college educated women who were also in sororities were not actually in the struggle on a macro level besides going to school? History lesson, anyone?