GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,227
1 members and 1,226 guests
KDKells

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

You and those sisters who agree with you need to stand up for what you believe in. You may be outnumbered but from what you said, you aren't alone. You may even be surprised by how many older members feel the same way yet were too intimidated to stand up against the wrongdoers. It sounds like you have tried to reason with people and that hasn't worked.

Now is the time for you to make some tough decisions. What is more important to you? Standing up for what you believe in or not rocking the boat and being unpopular with the older sisters? I hope you decide to stand strong, but that choice is up to you. I hope you will show your entire Chapter that you are a leader who will stand firm and not back down.

Maybe it's time to scare folks with some reality. I suggest you do your research first. Go to your Chapter business meeting armed with a copy of your I/natl's policy against hazing. We all have one. Check out your University policies as well. Tell your sisters what they have been doing is wrong and against policy. It threatens your standing as members of your GLO and as a whole Chapter with both your org and your University.

Something else many people don't think about even with so-called "minor" hazing. Hazing of any sort leaves all of you vulnerable to potential legal liability if someone decides to sue. All it takes is one person to file a complaint a lawyer. Since this is in direct violation of your I/natl policies, NPC and the University, no one will come to your defense. You could lose face large $$$ judgements against you as individuals. Anyone think moms and dads would be willing or even able to pay a multi-million dollar settlement due to their daughters' actions? Think they'd appreciate that?

If you can't get them to change then you have one of three choices.

1) Resign your membership. The thing is that won't change anything. The hazing will continue and you will be heartbroken. The hazers will have won and will continue with business as usual.

2) Normally I would suggest you contact your alum advisor first, but you said you don't have one. IMHO that probably explains this has gone on for so long. Anyways, you need to be willing to contact your I/natl. I know this is scary but believe me no I/natl wants one of their Chapters to haze. They will launch an investigation and what happens next will be determined by their findings. Every GLO and every situation are different so it's impossible to predict the outcome. The best case scenario would be that individuals would be held accountable for their actions, not the Chapter as a whole.

3) Last, you could do nothing or worse go along with the hazing. I hope you are strong enough not to choose this option.

I wish you strength in your convictions so that you will be able to persuade your sisters to do what's right.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
It's not hard to change the chapter unless it's more than 200 people.
Completely not true. It can be difficult to change ingrained practices no matter the chapter size. But, it is not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulnite12 View Post
We think that one of the reasons for that is that no one really proposed any concrete solutions for how to make all the changes while at the same time protecting chapter traditions. There is no life-threatening hazing going on (at least not unless something goes horribly wrong) - just things that are outside of our national new member program and that are not fun - actually that just plain suck for those forced to do them. (I'd rather not publicly elaborate, if that's okay.)
IMHO, the bolded is going to be very difficult. Finding a middle ground that incorporates negative traditions will be extremely hard. The pro-hazing sisters may see any change as watering down "their" pledge program and your national office will see any shades of hazing on top of the new member program as unnacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Great advice above.

I would add that you do have some strength in numbers already. With the 12 in your class, plus the 8 new members this semester, by next fall there will be 20 of you. With 50-60 currently in the house, once you factor in graduating seniors, the 20 of you should easily be half of the actives by next semester.

So, definitely take the above advice, but most of all do not get discouraged if some of the current seniors put up resistance. They won't be around much longer, and the complete change that you want to see may take more than one semester. But stick together... it can happen, and by the fall pledge calss things will be even easier numbers-wise.
Co-sign. My best wishes on this. This is not an easy road you're on, but it is so worth it.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't really have any first-hand experience or knowledge to share in this area but I can understand your reasoning in being reluctant to report it to your national board. You, however are limited in your options if you really want to get this situation resolved. I would suggest either taking matters into your own hands and handling the situation amongst your chapter sisters or report to your national board.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to all who provided encouragement and advice! We are going to be working very hard in the coming weeks to get all of this straightened out and make some major changes to our New Member programs. I love the idea of using our chapter traditions to create sisterhood activities - achieving the same outcomes, but in a way that is not hazing and I hope that we can be create to make some of those work for us. Thanks again for all the help and advice I've gotten!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi everyone, I am new, Some friends of mine and myself have started a Service Sorority ( Nu Alpha Sigma Service Sorority Inc. Alpha Chapter)
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

When does your chapter do elections? Have you, anyone in your pledge class, or a like-minded older sister thought about running for New Member Educator (NME, or whatever your chapter calls it)? If you have someone who is anti-hazing in that position, things can change pretty quickly and easily.

The NME is in charge of planning the content of the meetings and any other activities geared-towards new members, so if there isn't someone planning hazing activities, hazing will be reduced to the individual level. The NME can also give accurate information about hazing, such as what to do if they think they are being hazed (i.e. don't participate in the activity, question the authority of the person who is making them do whatever, tell the NME, call an anti-hazing hotline if one exists at your school, etc.)

The older sisters, by telling your NM class that your HQ wouldn't believe you if you claimed you were being hazed, were manipulating you. Your HQ would most certainly believe a new member who said she was being hazed! With that said, I think you should try to work out the issue internally before calling in your HQ.

1. I like the idea of talking about it at chapter meeting.
2. Definitely treat your spring class how you think all new members should be treated. Tell them you were hazed, how it made you feel. This will likely gain support for your anti-hazing movement in the chapter. If there are hazing activities planned, don't take part in them. Encourage other sisters to do the same.
3. Try to elect an NME who wants to get rid of hazing.
4. Call the NME of other chapters of your sorority (such as one that won an award for their NM program) for suggestions on how to improve your chapter's NM program. They should be able to offer suggestions constructive activities to allow new members to bond with each other and with other sisters in the chapter. You wouldn't necessarily have to tell them (and therefore your HQ) that your chapter used to haze, you can just say that your NM program needs work.
5. If the majority of your chapter is still very resistant to getting rid of hazing, tell them that you're going to call your HQ about it. I don't think that your NM class would get in trouble for "letting" them haze you because they manipulated you into thinking that there was no choice (ie. that HQ wouldn't believe you).
Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a major liability issue at hand here if this does not get reported. As the OP said, there has been nothing life threatening UNLESS SOMETHING GOES TERRIBLY WRONG. Don't wait for something to go wrong. The fact that there is hazing going on puts not only the chapter at risk of liability, but also the members. There are situations where the hazers ended up doing jail time. Is that worth ignoring the situation? No one plans for something to go terribly wrong, but these things do and have happened. The hazing needs to stop NOW. National MUST be made aware of the situation. If it is taken care of internally, it is possible for national to keep the chapter open while taking care of the situation. If they are not made aware of the situation and something does go wrong, not only will your school shut you down, National will back them up and you can be sure that there will be something in the media which will hurt the entire organization. The hazing may only involve one chapter of less than 100 people, but it can hurt an entire organization with thousands of thousands of proud members.

DAFFYKD
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

This could be your chapter . . .

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=92965

Don't let this happen to you!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Sig View Post
Hi everyone, I am new, Some friends of mine and myself have started a Service Sorority ( Nu Alpha Sigma Service Sorority Inc. Alpha Chapter)

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Preciousjeni: I-G-N-O-R-E.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKittyCat View Post
Preciousjeni: I-G-N-O-R-E.
lol

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Numbers don't add up. OP said there were 50-60 in her chapter and the article indicated 120. But, you are on the right track
Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Twenty-one fraternity and sorority organizations have teamed up to create an anti-hazing hotline that anyone can use to report incidents of hazing anonymously. The toll-free number — (888) NOT-HAZE, or (888) 668-4293 — will connect callers with a voice-mail service at the office of Manley Burke, a law firm in Cincinnati that publishes Fraternal Law, a newsletter that chronicles legal issues involving fraternities, sororities, and higher education. According to a news release, the law firm will forward reports of alleged hazing to the appropriate fraternity or sorority, whether or not it is a sponsor of the hotline, and will notify the authorities, if required by law. The 21 founding sponsors account for just over one-third of all members of campus fraternal organizations
Old 03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket96 View Post
Twenty-one fraternity and sorority organizations have teamed up to create an anti-hazing hotline that anyone can use to report incidents of hazing anonymously. The toll-free number — (888) NOT-HAZE, or (888) 668-4293 — will connect callers with a voice-mail service at the office of Manley Burke, a law firm in Cincinnati that publishes Fraternal Law, a newsletter that chronicles legal issues involving fraternities, sororities, and higher education. According to a news release, the law firm will forward reports of alleged hazing to the appropriate fraternity or sorority, whether or not it is a sponsor of the hotline, and will notify the authorities, if required by law. The 21 founding sponsors account for just over one-third of all members of campus fraternal organizations
I saw this post earlier, I thought Theta was part of that or something similar. It maybe they have a hotline just for the sorority. I agree with many of the ideas listed above, but I do believe this needs to be reported to HQ. If you are in an NPC, anti-hazing policies should be in your New Member handbook, and also ways it can be reported. If a new member ever feels threatened about a hazing situation she should report it! And believe me your HQ will listen to you!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Update: Hi all. Just wanted to make a quick update for anyone who is interested. After bringing up the situation at chapter and seeing the large amount of resistance from alumnae and active sisters, one of my pledge sisters decided to make a call to Head Quarters. After an investigation, I am sad to report that our chapter is no longer open. My sorority experience ended before it really began.

Last edited by beautifulnite12; 03-21-2008 at 07:45 PM.