GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,307
0 members and 2,307 guests
No Members online

Old 07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is why deferred rush gets a bad rap.

I would tell the Panhel that denying these things goes against one of the major tenets of deferred (i.e. PNMs get to know sorority members outside of the structured rush environment) and try to get them changed.
We don't have deferred. We do, however, have recruitment during the middle of first semester. So there's still several weeks where you cannot even ride in a car with a PNM...even if that 'potential' is graduating that same semester.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I find all of this very interesting coming from a chapter that has 3 sororities and COB all year long. There are definitely positives and negatives to all of these rules.

In some respects, we had similar rules. PNMs are not allowed to leave a recruitment event with "gifts", and we actually can't give gifts on bid day either, because PNMs still have the option at that point of not signing it, and to give them a gift would be convincing them to do so. We also can't bid promise or anything of that nature. But we can talk to/go out with any PNM at any time... as long as we're not paying for them.

It's interesting to see that even at larger campuses with chapters at 50+ members, equality for each chapter is still maintained. On my campus, the closest thing we ever had to "unity" among chapters during recruitment is what we call a "kick-off" recruitment party at the beginning of each semester, which I actually helped to create when I was Panhel President. Basically, it's like a formal recruitment night where PNMs are required to visit all 3 chapters for 30 to 45 minutes at a time in order for the PNMs to experience each chapter. In some instances, it helps girls to figure out where they really want to be. In other cases, girls already know where they want to be, and they go to the kick-off party because a certain chapter encourages them to go.

But it's competitive for us because while one chapter might get 10 girls in one semester, another chapter will get 3.

And to be honest, my chapter is the only one that has always followed the rules and not bid promised or things like that. One of the chapters actually got caught doing this a couple years ago and was penalized for it.

We're usually the chapter to get the 3 girls while the other chapter gets 10. But I'd much rather have 3 quality girls that we struggled to get than not follow rules and bid everyone we meet.

It's fascinating to see how many similarities and differences there are between campuses.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-05-2008 at 04:29 PM.