GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,343
5 members and 1,338 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Should WE Pay for this Man's SEX CHANGE

Prisoner Wants Sex Change at Taxpayers' Expense
Thu Jul 17,12:57 PM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

ALBANY, N.Y. (Reuters) - A convicted murderer wants the state of New York to pay $500,000 for his sex change and a key ruling in his case has moved him closer to his dream of serving the rest of his sentence in a women's jail.

Mark Brooks, 34, who calls himself Jessica Lewis, and claims to be "a girl inside," sued New York almost three years ago for treatment for his Gender Identity Disorder but has not received medical treatment.

In a 19-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Lawrence Kahn said Brooks should be allowed to talk to doctors about requests for hormone therapy, breast implants, and "genital reassignment."

Kahn said "deliberate indifference to serious medical attention" may be a violation of the Eighth Amendment, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. He questioned the "puzzling distinction" officials make between hormone treatment before and after imprisonment.

Department of Correctional Services policies limit hormone therapy to prisoners who are already receiving it before they enter the penal system.

"Surely inmates with diabetes, schizophrenia or any other serious medical need are not denied treatment simply because their conditions were not diagnosed before incarceration," the judge wrote.

Brooks, who wants to be transferred to a woman's prison, is serving 50 years to life in the Clinton Correctional Facility in upstate New York for the 1989 murder of Hofstra University student Dean Lockshiss.

The state Attorney General's office is reviewing the case before an appeal is filed. DOCS officials said they have not seen the judge's ruling yet and have no comment.

Putnam County District Attorney Kevin Wright, who prosecuted the case against Brooks, told the New York Post that it was "appalling" that the victim's mother, a taxpayer, may be paying for the sex change of her son's killer.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Ummm, how bout NO!

Prison is supposed to be punishment for crimes, not a way to get free surgery that you don't need and couldn't otherwise afford.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lady2000 Send a message via Yahoo to Lady2000
Now This is A Shame!

Now I'm sure this man needs psychiatric attention to deal with his inner feelings, and yes the state should provide him with that. I just do not see what is cruel and unusual about not paying for a sex change operation. The are not taking away any of his basic rights i.e. food, shelter, clothing, so this whole case is just a down right shame!!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down awwwwww heck noooooooo!

Girl, I haven't read the article, but the title is full of isht! That is utterly ridarndayumdiculous.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting

I don't think that taxpayers should have to pay for this man's surgery. As far as I am concerned it is a luxury. Since we do pay for health care for prisoners, this man should be afforded psychiatric treatment and any other therapy until his release. Then he can work to pay for his own operation.

What's next, obese prisoners wanting Gastric Bypass??
Old 07-18-2003, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Quote:
Originally posted by ClassyLady
Prison is supposed to be punishment for crimes, not a way to get free surgery that you don't need and couldn't otherwise afford.
See, this is what I was thinking as well.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 07-18-2003, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by darling1
I don't think that taxpayers should have to pay for this man's surgery. As far as I am concerned it is a luxury. Since we do pay for health care for prisoners, this man should be afforded psychiatric treatment and any other therapy until his release. Then he can work to pay for his own operation.

What's next, obese prisoners wanting Gastric Bypass??
My sentiments exactly!!!! This is some straight bullisht!!!!

A pimp slap goes out to him - SLAP!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't even think so!! Why should I pay for this man sex change? The average man that desires a sex change must pay for his own. It isn't covered by insurance. I don't think that prisoners should receive any treatment that wouldn't normally be covered by their health insurance on the outside. Liposuction, breast implants, gastric bypass, etc. mostly fall outside of the blanket of coverage. They should not receive those things. Why are they trying to impress in jail?

I agree with medical attention and psychiatric treatment for all prisoners, but they have to be real about it. What's next? Women will start requesting face lifts? Men requesting penile enlargements? They are gonna come out of jail doing better than the average person that hasn't commited any crimes.