GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,310
1 members and 1,309 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2003, 09:09 AM

We AEPhis get no choice.

27 pearls, yellow gold, end of story. You can get a chapter guard that is pearl jeweled to match (which I did).

I love my pin and all that it stands for, and I like the idea that all my sisters have the exact same pin... at the same time, I would have liked white gold... I'd probably wear it more if it went with my other jewelry. And I'm envious of those of you who are allowed to wear your badges as pendants or rings...
Old 06-17-2003, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Currently, there are only two choices in Phi Mu Alpha: The official badge, which is jeweled and is what I have

and a non-jeweled version with a scrolled border. The non-jeweled version was originally offered to be less expensive, but the difference in cost is not that great. Because of the meaning of the official badge, there will be a proposal before our National Assembly next month to make the jeweled badge the only option.

I'm glad that we don't offer a variety of options with regard to jewels or white vs. yellow gold. Like KillarneyRose, I appreciate the meaning behind our design. I also like the idea that all of my brothers (well, most of them at least) have the same badge that I do, regardless of income or station in life.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of you have posted saying that you have rescued old badges. Where did you find them? At antique stores, or somewhere else? I know I would love to find (and buy!!) an old Delta Gamma badge!!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
The only option offered for the Delta Zeta badge is the setting of the diamond. It can either be a 6-pronged Tiffany setting or a bezel setting we call "flush". All of us have either one or the other.
I have the Tiffany setting because that's what my chapter voted on, but I really like the flush setting better...it's a little more unusual-looking.

My chapter guard is plain gold, but one of these days (when I get the cash!) I'm going to get one of the pearled ones.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PSPGirl
Some of you have posted saying that you have rescued old badges. Where did you find them? At antique stores, or somewhere else? I know I would love to find (and buy!!) an old Delta Gamma badge!!
Flea markets, antique stores, estate sales, pawn shops, and ebay are the first places to look. You'd be surprised where all you'll find them!
Old 06-17-2003, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GMUBunny Send a message via Yahoo to GMUBunny
Quote:
Originally posted by PSPGirl
I rescued my badge from our nationals. I don't know if all groups do this, but IO has badges that have been returned to the fraternity (members die, etc) and I got it at a discounted price. Paying $40 for a used badge in mint condition (it really is flawless) instead of close to a hundred for a brand new one sounded much better to me!

Proud mommy of Tiernan Vincent 8-8-05 and Gwendolyn Iona 12-13-07!
Old 06-17-2003, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GMUBunny
I rescued my badge from our nationals. I don't know if all groups do this, but IO has badges that have been returned to the fraternity (members die, etc) and I got it at a discounted price. Paying $40 for a used badge in mint condition (it really is flawless) instead of close to a hundred for a brand new one sounded much better to me!
Gamma Phi allows our members to purchase "used" badges from IH as replacements for badges that have been lost or stolen.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Having rescued several Quills from ebay I now own:

15 pearl (open crown) quill with diamond tip (mine)
20 pearl (open crown) quill with diamond tip (1928)
20 pearl (open crown) quill (194?)
15 pearl (closed crown) quill (1942)

I have also donated 2 20 pearl quills that I rescued. One to Theta Omega chapter (NMSU) and one to Iota Eta chapter (UTEP) to be worn by the president while she's in office.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 06-17-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't know what MY badge looks like b/c it fell off my shirt after a meeting sometime last year. I know is really sad I am trying to save up for the pearled Alpha Phi badge. Until then I am going to order a new plain Alpha Phi badge, which I LOVE!
Old 06-17-2003, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Second, what language is that on the bottom of your badge? I thought maybe Hebrew but I wasn't sure. I apologize if I asked something I shouldn't have though!
That is Hebrew..
Old 07-24-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Theta Pi

The Badge of the fraternity shall be an eight-sided shield, with
concavely curved sides. The face shall be of black enamel, bearing, first, three five-pointed stars of gold, placed in a
horizontal line; second, a brilliant diamond, encircled by a laurel wreath of greenish gold; third, the Greek capitals BQP,
of gold; and fourth the date of the foundation of the fraternity in the Greek notation, of gold, alpha omega lambda theta.
On the reverse side shall be engraved the letter or letters of the owner’s chapter, clasped hands, the owner’s name and the
date of his initiation. Each man will receive a standard gold-plated badge on payment of his initiation fees. The use of the
official badge of the fraternity shall be limited to the pin, the same to be worn over the heart and in a manner befitting the
honor and dignity to which the badge is entitled. A member of the fraternity shall permit none but his mother, wife,
daughter, sister, or sweetheart to wear the official badge.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My badge is sterling silver with all pearls, and a plain sterling silver chapter guard
Old 07-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Ginger

For about 3 more days, you can see our badge on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11145
Old 07-24-2003, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I have the plain badge (& chapter guard) in white gold:

Other options are plain yellow gold (exactly like mine in yellow) or yellow gold with pearls, close set or crown set. Here's the crown set:

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be

Last edited by SilverTurtle; 07-24-2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Here's an SAI badge on ebay right now(grrrrr....):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11013

All SAI badges are the same. You can either get goldplate or real gold, but there are no different varieties.

That's fine with me, because our badge is beautiful as it is!