GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,261
1 members and 1,260 guests
ajanessshulze31

Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Accepting a bid, but postponing pledging?

I advise at a school with a small (2 sororities), but growing Greek system. Last year quota was 6. This year, I'm guesstimating 10-12. I received a question from a chapter member today that some of the PNMs are asking. If they go through recruitment and are offered a bid, can they wait to pledge in spring after saving money for dues. I know bids are good for a year, but I've never actually seen someone come, say, 9 months later and accept their bid the pledge. What happens if we are already at/over total in spring? Can we pledge them? If they are part of our quota and accept, but don't pledge, could we still COB to total if we need to?

I've never encountered NM asking this before. It would absolutely be best for BOTH chapters if these PNMs pledged in fall and I really want to know how to respond to PNMs who are weighing this option. Can someone help me?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a reason why finances is a question that is coming up more than once? Are your dues too high for your campus? Our basic quill is really inexpensive and if you don't have a house there shouldn't be a huge pledge expense.

I personally think as a matter of policy, this is a bad idea. If this happens to 1 girl with a special circumstance, that's one thing but if it's true that SOME girls are asking the question, then something should be changed. Are you in communication with the other sorority's advisor? Are they getting the same question?

You hate to turn away members when you're talking those kinds of numbers, but I think it could set a precedent that isn't healthy for the whole system, not just your chapter.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We do have houses and that's a big chunk of the expenses. Our dues are still very reasonable considering the house and the other chapter is a bit higher than us too. The chapter functions on a VERY tight budget.

Believe me, I don't want to set this precedent either!!! I've met the other chapters advisor once. She's new and from the looks of it very green. I've the question out to the Greek Advisor. Since there are only 2 chapters, it is best have a neutral third party.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

It seems that with the chapters tight budget and the small pledge classes, allowing the PNMs to accept a bid, but not actually pledge(or pay) until the spring, might handicap the chapter. Does the campus also hold spring recruitment? If so, perhaps the GL advisor could encourage them to rush in the spring.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you CAN do this, but my question is WHY would you offer a bid to someone who does not have the finances? If they save money and feel they can afford it at a later date, tell them to come back through. What happens if they don't get enough money? Are you expected to hold their spot? I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I might sit on those eggs and nurture them a little.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

In spring, both chapters hold a mini recruitment/COB week of their own. Very relaxed. COB on this campus is like pulling teeth. I am in agreement with all of you, I would rather not bid the women until spring or when/if ever. Now, is there a good message that chapter women (who may not see the whole picture even if I explain it 3 times) can communicate to PNMs without looking like stuck up snobs. That's really what I looking for.

I am curious if anyone has had to deal with this before too....
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, if this really isn't done or recommended when it's allowed, why would NPC allow it?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Why are you doing a formal recruitment with only two chapters, anyway?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think if this were to be allowed (for no other reason than the PNMs can't afford it - and they know that going into recruitment), then you'd be opening a can of worms that you really don't want to open. Let's say the chapter makes quota, but half the girls are being held over until the following semester - that's (potentially) 6 girls that you're not collecting dues from, but that are taking up spots (which other PNMs would be willing to take.. and pay for). And what happens when the other 6 girls who received bids find out about this? Do you think they'll want to pay up front?

These types of things are usually done only in special circumstances. For example, if a PNM's parent became ill, and they find themselves having to help out their family rather than put money toward dues.

I find it rather strange that numerous PNMs are asking such a question. Are they asking because your dues are too high... or because they're "trying to get away with something," for lack of a better term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why are you doing a formal recruitment with only two chapters, anyway?
And this is a very good question. Two chapters (and quota at 6 last year) shouldn't = formal recruitment, in my opinion.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, so this is just a marketing problem. You want to come up with a pat, said verbatim by every girl statement that says (and we can brainstorm this here until it's right) something like:
We would love for you to consider membership in Alpha Xi Delta. Because financial responsibility is a big part of your lifelong membership, you should not pursue membership until you are ready to shoulder the fees.

The pitfalls to avoid are any sort of promise for future membership or sense that you are turning them down just because of the money. I think my version above is a little too clinical for 18 year old girls to hear, so maybe someone can soften that up a bit while still keeping it on point.

But if you have a chapter house, you need to get those numbers up and 10 or 12 versus 6 is huge. Good luck and hopefully this will work for you!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I think DubaisSis has a good method, but keep inviting them to open events like philanthropy events so they see you are interested in them.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-29-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I am with everyone else on not opening the can of worms offering to let these girls delay their bid for a semester. In addition to all the excellent points they bring up, I am also concerned for their ongoing finances. If they need this semester to save up for next semester are they going to be able to afford the remaining 3 years of their sorority commitment? This sounds like financial resignation waiting to happen.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
I am with everyone else on not opening the can of worms offering to let these girls delay their bid for a semester. In addition to all the excellent points they bring up, I am also concerned for their ongoing finances. If they need this semester to save up for next semester are they going to be able to afford the remaining 3 years of their sorority commitment? This sounds like financial resignation waiting to happen.
Excellent point!

And Dubaisis, good start on the statement. I hope that Greek life will address the problem and take the heat off the sororities.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

We call it formal recruitment. Technically it's probably partial (ish). On a smaller engineering/architecture campus where there is 1 female to 7 or 8 males and PNMs tend to be VERY introverted it is safety in numbers. Most of these girls would never be greek if they went to a liberal arts school, but here it works and they fit into either chapter. Since Greek life never occured to the majority of them, neither did the financials. Some of it is purely stick shock I assume. On this campus it really IS the truth that if you want to be around other women, you need to be Greek. It's where the women are!

That said, last years quota of 6 was a small year in many ways due to bad pre-recruitment PR. We actually took in an additional 10 girls in COB later in the year and I know the other chapter took in a few from COB also. This year the PR has been better (thanks to a new, amazing greek advisor and a strong Panhellenic!) and our interest is back to where it used to be. We only added quota and total about 4 years ago. In my opnion it was needed. At the time it was added, one chapter had 40 and the other has 12. They really couldn't compete well and there was bad blood between the groups. Last spring one had 30 and the other 33. The system is MUCH more stable and they get along very well. Plus, they are both growing!

Both sororities hold open events together wearing panhellenic shirts just to get the PNMs to realize there are other women on campus. Imagine being the only female in all your classes. That's pretty common. PNMs tend to hybernate because there are so many guys around. These open events are simply to help them get comfortable and though we would love them to come to actual recruitment events, it's really just to make the PNMs feel comfortable on campus in the sea of men. After a few weeks we hold recruitment events, but it's still more relaxed then what other schools do.

I know all this small campus stuff is foreign to the large recruitments out there. I came from a larger system from this myself. The key is it WORKS for this campus. There has been 10 years of trial and error to get this process together and truthfully when you pledge 15-20% of incoming freshmen you aren't doing so bad, you just need to do better. Retention is GOOD! We've had 100% retention for a few years and I know the other chapter has had success retaining too.

Maybe this is just a weird year with funky questions.....looks like my message to my girls will be to gracefully and carefully recommend the PNMs with the concerns wait and COB in spring (if the chapters are below total).

Thanks for the advice!!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

The thing that I am concerned about is participation in sorority events during this limbo period. Do we really think that these girls are not going to want to participate in sorority activities? And the actives are going to be concerned about losing the PNM/ pledge during that limbo semester, so they may allow the girl to come to events... without paying the dues needed ot pay for the event.

If you have gotten this question from more than 1 PNM in the same rush, I honestly think that this is a bright idea cooked up by a PNM in order to play without paying. She has passed her idea on to some other girls, who think it is a great idea, too.

I agree with the other ladies, shut it down.