GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,227
3 members and 2,224 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

DO FRATS NEED RECS LIKE SORORITIES?

question I have for frat alumni at UT Chattanooga. My son is going through recruitment this fall at UTC. I also have a daughter who is a Tri Delt at UT Knoxville. Of course with her we had tons of recs, etc. She has said that recs are not necessary for frats at UTC and in general. This info was given to her from many frat friends of hers. So the big question is...do pnm's need recs for frats? Thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

No. Fraternities do not select members anything like sororities.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

While we don't select members anything like sororities...we DO take recs and they ARE helpful.

My advice for this would be:
You don't need every house, just a few they're interested in.
The only people who should be writing the recommendations are rich, powerful alumni of said chapter. That's about it. No one else matters.

If you can't get them, don't worry, It's not too big of a deal. But they can be helpful.

Also, historically white fraternities prefer to be called fraternities as a general rule in the South.

We also don't like all caps.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 07-24-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croakies n Bows View Post
Just have him read all of frattinghard.com and he should understand the ideas of the fraternity.
NO!!! that is not a realistic view of fraternities. Though I would have to say I never heard of recs before joining this site. The only thing that would have any weight, depending on the org, for a fraternity would be an alum from that chapter recommending somebody. Because that way we know that we would probably get along with them if somebody we get along with does.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 08-02-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typing while half asleep is bad