GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,193
1 members and 2,192 guests
No Members online

Old 10-25-2004, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
I don't know if this is different pertaining to activism because it's only about women's rights, but last year, when they had the March For Women's Lives in Washington DC, one of the sororities went as a chapter function and I know that their members were encouraged to wear letters.
First, I think it's great that your chapter participated. What makes events interesting is that they'll attract a variety of groups. For example, I'd guess that the march you mentioned attracted feminists, politicians, pro-choicers, maybe some pro-lifers, gay rights activists, and a variety of other folks. It might not have been a bad idea to wear letters and walk together, especially if you had a sign that clearly identified you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to clarify: it wasn't my chapter that participated. We were told about it and told we could go with the XYZ chapter if we wanted to. It was a different sorority on campus that went as a group.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I see activism and volunteerism as two separate things, but that's just my view.

No one can seriously be offended to giving food to people in need. But they can certainly be offended if you're walking around with a dead baby on a sign in your letters in front of planned parenthood.

Activism I guess I personally define as something that is somewhat contraversial. If you're collecting money for breast cancer research or something, only a total and complete jackass could make an issue out of it. If you're campaigning for a political campaign, that's a different story.
I mostly agree with you. However, there can be overlap between activism and volunteering. I've volunteered at an organization that feeds the hungry. It's a great group, but they definitely have some strong political views. It doesn't bother me too much, because they mesh fairly well with mine. But I do see volunteering there as at least somewhat of an endorsement.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been doing some election-related things recently that I would not wear letters during: campaigning for various candidates and the like. Letters should not be worn during activities such as that, because they advertise a position that the entire group does not necessarily share.

My chapter of Phi Sigma Pi is sponsoring a voting drive, though, where we are going to be walking students to their voting precints and doing other things to encourage them to vote, and I think that that's a great thing to have our letters attached to. We're not campaigning for either side, just encouraging more young people to get out and vote. I guess you could call it activism, but I don't see how anyone could have a problem with encouraging people to vote.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
For my chapter, we're usually supposed to look nice when we're wearing out letters- basically don't go to class looking like a slob with an Alpha Phi shirt on! Also, we aren't allowed to drink wearing ANY KIND of sorority stuff- no lavalieres, bracelets, nothing.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I'm guessing we shouldn't wear letters while hanging out with Tucker Max, but on Saturday that might be a problem.

KLTC
Old 10-26-2004, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was an active, all the sororities on campus participated in a "get out and vote" drive, and we all wore letters. We drove elderly people to polling places, showed first timers how to use the voting booths, etc. It was great publicity for Panhel, and we had a great time!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deltazeta4ever
When I was an active, all the sororities on campus participated in a "get out and vote" drive, and we all wore letters. We drove elderly people to polling places, showed first timers how to use the voting booths, etc. It was great publicity for Panhel, and we had a great time!

Well, I see that as good PR and helpful. As opposed to wearing your letters and saying "VOte Jim Henry" or "people who get abortions are....", "vote against the water tax", or any extreme voting situations.

Note: Abortion and water tax not on the same level of situations - but you get what I mean.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
I've got a hunch that a lot of sororities don't allow members to participate in a Girls Gone Wild video while wearing letters.

Haha. Before spring break our standards board actually tells us that they will be looking at the video to make sure none of us are on it...not that it's been a problem in the past or anything.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life just got such a bad rep from all of the movies out there. They, for the most part, make sorority girls out to be slutty and brainless frat followers (and unfortunately there are some out there like that... don't lie, you each know at least one). So when wearing your letters, you're a walking advertisement for your organization. Being a bitch, a drunk, or anything else that isn't classy just seems unacceptable and pointless. Throw on a different t-shirt if want to drink. And jump behind a building if you want to smoke - I am sure the others on campus would appreciate that as opposed to getting stuck walking behind you. (that's what I used to do)
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I say do almost what you want in your letters. Is what we do in college (and shortly after) so bad and abnormal?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why it's such a big deal to not drink in letters. Different campuses have different "letter-wearing" cultures I guess. I would really only pull out a pair of letters to wear when attending Phi Mu events. We also had Wednesday as Letter Day on our campus. But I don't know why I would ever be wearing letters in a place that I would want to start drinking.

I sympathize with smokers though- our chapter has the "no smoking" rule and my roommate would carry around another shirt to put over the letters. It was worst DURING Recruitment, because as soon as the parties were over, everyone would want to smoke a cigarette but they'd be wearing Recruitment outfits.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
A related question:

Does your sorority actually have the "no drinking in letters" as a national rule written down in by-laws or something similar?

Tri Sigma has a national bylaw against it.

And honestly, it's just not that big of a deal that you can't drink in letters. I wouldn't want to just because I have lots of other cute things to wear when I drink.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-06-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
A related question:

Does your sorority actually have the "no drinking in letters" as a national rule written down in by-laws or something similar?
With my GLO, on websites representing our sorority, there are no be no photos of girls holding drinking cups, no matter what the beverage is (7-Up, water, whatever).
Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Yikes!! The difference between Northern and Southern campuses...I can't IMAGINE girls up North thinking - "I can't wear my letter sweatshirt because it's an 8am class and I don't have any makeup on, and my hair is in a ponytail." Obviously, our standards differ.....

I'm reminded of the painfully shy, quiet little Theta pledge who almost got thrown out of her sorority for participating (and winning) a wet tee-shirt contest down in Ft. Lauderdale during Spring Break. I always wondered if she got in any additional trouble for not having on her pledge pin during that (although who knows - maybe she WAS wearing it.)

Last edited by LionTamer; 03-07-2006 at 12:26 PM.