GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,288
0 members and 1,288 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2005, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wrussell
Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni

wrussell, I appreciate the way you've handled yourself in here!
Thank you I appriecate that comming from such a knowledge able source.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2005, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Not an LTA.

Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
I am not an LTA...I am a Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. sister.

(Just clarifying).
I KNOW THAT! LOL. That is why am asking you how you feel about the LTAs and if you get the same feeling of Distain from them out there on the westcoast? I am just wondering.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Not an LTA.

Quote:
Originally posted by wrussell
I KNOW THAT! LOL. That is why am asking you how you feel about the LTAs and if you get the same feeling of Distain from them out there on the westcoast? I am just wondering.
Sorry, I misread your post. LOL.

I've been a member of my organization for almost 9 years. I've been an alumna for the last 7 years. I have nothing but respect for the Lambda Theta Alphas, Sigma Lambda Gammas, Kappa Delta Chis, and all of the other Latina sororities who are out there improving things for women and for the community. Latina sororities all over the country are making progress and making a positive difference. I'm proud to be part of this. I've met several Lambda Theta Alpha sisters over the years, and they were all outstanding people.

One thing that being a member of an LGLO has taught me is that it is not about the letters that we wear, but the people who we serve.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Not an LTA.

Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
Sorry, I misread your post. LOL.

I've been a member of my organization for almost 9 years. I've been an alumna for the last 7 years. I have nothing but respect for the Lambda Theta Alphas, Sigma Lambda Gammas, Kappa Delta Chis, and all of the other Latina sororities who are out there improving things for women and for the community. Latina sororities all over the country are making progress and making a positive difference. I'm proud to be part of this. I've met several Lambda Theta Alpha sisters over the years, and they were all outstanding people.

One thing that being a member of an LGLO has taught me is that it is not about the letters that we wear, but the people who we serve.
I can do nothing but applaud. It is nice to hear something good versus the stupid bickering. I appriecate your honesty and commitment to the betterment of society. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to audaz49 Send a message via Yahoo to audaz49
to both wrussel &preciousjeni ~
i'm so glad to see intelligent and coherent conversation being posted about a subject which could (and has in some instances) become contorversial and/or a nasty fight. its important to include all of the things which have been discussed into the consideration when figuring out what to call an organization. ultimately, you can't stop an org from calling itself whatever, but you can be aware of how they fit their own given label and what other labels they might fit under instead/as well. my organization in particular has been very careful about what we call ourselves, we weren't founded as a multicultural organization, but we have grown to be one which does concern ourselves with multicultural issues, and have multicultural membership, something that happened in the very very very early days of the org. while i do look around at my chapter and the nearest chapter to us and see primary membership as latina in the past, the current trend is becoming more and more mixed members. other chapters are predominantly black, asian, or white, the chapters are generally a reflection of the women on the chapter's particular campus. depending on the area, the size of the campus, the cultural makeup of the campus, and the number and types of the glos available on the campus, each chapter of any organization is going to have a unique composition and will reflect the region and of course, the membership interest, recruitment success, and quality of the ladies in the potential member pool. speaking for my own chapter, we have only 4 ladies who do not identify as latina in some way, but regardless of their choice of self identification, Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc. and Gamma Chapter of aforementioned organization accepts these ladies as full and respected members of our sisterhood because of the founding principles and the strong bond of our organization. multiculturalism is not just a cause, it is a reality, and a lot of people have yet to learn that.
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

wow go to work and i seem to miss a whole conversation. anyway i just wanted to give applause to audaz and wrussell for your responses. it is definately great that there is an intelligent convo going on instead of arguing.

i do have a question...for any and everybody, for the organizations that recongize that their membership has become more multicultural, are you changing your programming to reflect this or no? just wondering because it seemed that the latina/o orgs at my alma matter have become more multicultural, but the programming never changed. Is that a direction that you think more orgs will go towards over time?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to juniebug19
Re: Latino Greek Letter Organizations

I don't mean to be rude, or negative, but if y'all don't mind, I rather give a more negative aspect of Latino/a Fraternities and Sororities, just so y'all see the "other side."

This past fall, I rushed a Latina Sorority. During rush, the women were cool, really down to earth, strong women. I decided to pledge this sorority. There was only one other girl who signed a bid for this particular sorority during rush, but during an informational meeting, 2 other girls signed up. Throughout all this, the sorority ladies stayed cool. They talked with me, they were just awesome.

Once our "process" (or whatever you would call it) started, the cool, sweet, down to earth ladies made a complete 180. This ladies became heartless, rude and demeaning. Out of us 4 girls that were pledging, 3 were Mexican and 1 was African-American. Although these ladies from the sorority said they had sisters of all nationalities throughout the nation, their actions in this specific chapter showed that they really didn't want my African-American friend. They treated her differently, constantly complaining about the way she did things, or the way she pronounced Spanish words.

This women, during our process, started to belittle us. As we walked pass them at school, they whisper about us, give us dirty looks, and during our "meetings" they would yell.

Finally, 3 of the 4 girls left (the only one who stayed was my African-American friend). Now, if we just even walk past us, they call us names. They have a reputation of being rude, snobbish, a little too overconfident when they shouldn't be, etc...its no wonder their numbers are so low.

I have talked to my American American Friend and the belittling continues, she still hasn't become a member of the sorority (and our process started around Halloween). The more she tells me about what is happening to her, the more i'm realizing that what they did to us could be considered Hazing. So i'm now i'm trying to get in contact with our Greek Life Advisor about this.

Note: I'm not trying to be rude. I still completely respect this organization, and if I was at a different campus, i'd probably rush this group again. I met some of their sisters from California and they are awesome, but just this particular group is NOT!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketgirl
wow go to work and i seem to miss a whole conversation. anyway i just wanted to give applause to audaz and wrussell for your responses. it is definately great that there is an intelligent convo going on instead of arguing.

i do have a question...for any and everybody, for the organizations that recongize that their membership has become more multicultural, are you changing your programming to reflect this or no? just wondering because it seemed that the latina/o orgs at my alma matter have become more multicultural, but the programming never changed. Is that a direction that you think more orgs will go towards over time?
Our programming changed, but I believe that it should. Your orgs programming should reflect your org's membership and principles. I hope that more org's go the diversify their programming, but you never know. Time will tell.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Latino Greek Letter Organizations

Quote:
Originally posted by juniebug19
I don't mean to be rude, or negative, but if y'all don't mind, I rather give a more negative aspect of Latino/a Fraternities and Sororities, just so y'all see the "other side."

This past fall, I rushed a Latina Sorority. During rush, the women were cool, really down to earth, strong women. I decided to pledge this sorority. There was only one other girl who signed a bid for this particular sorority during rush, but during an informational meeting, 2 other girls signed up. Throughout all this, the sorority ladies stayed cool. They talked with me, they were just awesome.

Once our "process" (or whatever you would call it) started, the cool, sweet, down to earth ladies made a complete 180. This ladies became heartless, rude and demeaning. Out of us 4 girls that were pledging, 3 were Mexican and 1 was African-American. Although these ladies from the sorority said they had sisters of all nationalities throughout the nation, their actions in this specific chapter showed that they really didn't want my African-American friend. They treated her differently, constantly complaining about the way she did things, or the way she pronounced Spanish words.

This women, during our process, started to belittle us. As we walked pass them at school, they whisper about us, give us dirty looks, and during our "meetings" they would yell.

Finally, 3 of the 4 girls left (the only one who stayed was my African-American friend). Now, if we just even walk past us, they call us names. They have a reputation of being rude, snobbish, a little too overconfident when they shouldn't be, etc...its no wonder their numbers are so low.

I have talked to my American American Friend and the belittling continues, she still hasn't become a member of the sorority (and our process started around Halloween). The more she tells me about what is happening to her, the more i'm realizing that what they did to us could be considered Hazing. So i'm now i'm trying to get in contact with our Greek Life Advisor about this.

Note: I'm not trying to be rude. I still completely respect this organization, and if I was at a different campus, i'd probably rush this group again. I met some of their sisters from California and they are awesome, but just this particular group is NOT!
This is something I completely understand. And something I have a passion about: NEW MEMBER EDUCATION...

Before you let your advisor know about this consider this: did any thing they did serve a purpose? Like was there a lesson behind it? If not THEN IT IS HAZING...

I think alot of people have lost the meaning of bring new members in and are simply BEATING THEM UP to say OH WE PLEDGE HARD....but ah this is conversation for another thread. SomeBODY START IT...I WILL BE ALL OVER IT!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I could see a possible complication in that, however. Say, random example, several non-Latino members joined a historically and predominantly Latino fraternity. Somewhere down the line, the breakdown of the cultures gets mixed up. Those of non-Latino descent feel like the fraternity should reflect this multiculturalism, and abandon the predominant focus on the Latino culture. Then there could be others who want to continue following the traditions and rituals that their fraternity was founded upon (such as line names in Spanish, events catered towards the Hispanic community, etc). They feel that the original vision their founders had has completely changed from what they originally intended.

What then?

p.s. I'm not bashing one side or the other, I just think it's a realistic situation that could cause problems in the future.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
I could see a possible complication in that, however. Say, random example, several non-Latino members joined a historically and predominantly Latino fraternity. Somewhere down the line, the breakdown of the cultures gets mixed up. Those of non-Latino descent feel like the fraternity should reflect this multiculturalism, and abandon the predominant focus on the Latino culture. Then there could be others who want to continue following the traditions and rituals that their fraternity was founded upon (such as line names in Spanish, events catered towards the Hispanic community, etc). They feel that the original vision their founders had has completely changed from what they originally intended.

What then?

p.s. I'm not bashing one side or the other, I just think it's a realistic situation that could cause problems in the future.
I think this way: certain rituals/traditions such as the line names in spanish shouldn't be changed. But PROGRAMMING, I feel that is a different issue. I believe that programming is a function of the chapter, thus based entirely on what the chapter is or composed of. It is a fine line, but I think as long as we stay true to our purpose, which I believe is creating quality men who live by the principles we teach, I don't think it is going to be a real issuse for the founders.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
quick hijack

FYI wrussell -

I'm only pretending to be nice to you...because, after all, I AM a Georgia Bulldog. SIC EM!

GREEK UNITY!!

/hijack

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
quick hijack

FYI wrussell -

I'm only pretending to be nice to you...because, after all, I AM a Georgia Bulldog. SIC EM!

GREEK UNITY!!

/hijack
OH GOLLY...those ugly dogs...when was the last time you beat us? LOL LOL I am just kidding, beause I don't like our football team either. I always root for UGA at Florida/Georgia.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by wrussell
I always root for UGA at Florida/Georgia.
Ohhh - you were raised RIGHT sweetie!!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ohhh - you were raised RIGHT sweetie!!
Of course...LOL.