GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,412
0 members and 1,412 guests
No Members online

Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Question about Letter Shirts

I tried searching for an answer but didn't find one. I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

Is it acceptable to wear handmade letter shirts if you're a member of a Divine 9 organization? I haven't seen any Divine 9 members wearing them, so I'm not sure. If not, why is it not acceptable?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

If the item is well made, sure. Most store bought letters are laser cut these days so the quality is much better and tend to be better looking the most hand made items.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a big difference between handmade and handcrafted!
I only made NPHC letters a couple of times but have made letters for NPC and IFC orgs often. If you are making them yourself, I recommend the following:

Specific Products
Dritz Fraycheck around the cut edges. Fraycheck is a thinner less gluey liquid as compared to other fray preventatives.

Ultrahold Heat and Bond for your fusing. This says you can't sew through this but you can.

General products
A clear plastic quilting ruler to center and level the letters on the garment. I use the 15" square Omnigrid.

For TShirts, I use both tearaway stabilizer AND freezer paper on the inside of the shirt. For sweatshirts, the tearaway stabilizer is sufficient.

Technique
I would definitely satinstitch around your letters as opposed to just zigzagging
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Banned

You should ask the AKAs who brought you into AKA. I recommend not asking random Greeks and non-AKAs what is acceptable to wear. Random opinions can contrast local, regional, and chapter protocol traditions.

As for the protocol and traditions to which I subscribe: I agree with NinjaPoodle and the specifics vary by GLO and local, regional/district/chapter protocol and traditions.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Just out of curiosity, is the issue that they may look less polished, or is the issue that they are made by a non-licensed vendor?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

DeltaBetaBaby, if people are doing it themselves, it is important to conform to 'nalia protocol (colors, patterns, etc) and make it look polished.

If people are purchasing it, (for those of us who care) licensed vendor**, conform to 'nalia protocol, and make sure it looks polished.

**Licensed vendors are more likely to not violate official GLO policies and practices. But licensed vendors still can't keep track of every unofficial local/district/regional/chapter policy and protocol.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You should ask the AKAs who brought you into AKA. I recommend not asking random Greeks and non-AKAs what is acceptable to wear. Random opinions can contrast local, regional, and chapter protocol traditions.

As for the protocol and traditions to which I subscribe: I agree with NinjaPoodle and the specifics vary by GLO and local, regional/district/chapter protocol and traditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
DeltaBetaBaby, if people are doing it themselves, it is important to conform to 'nalia protocol (colors, patterns, etc) and make it look polished.

If people are purchasing it, (for those of us who care) licensed vendor**, conform to 'nalia protocol, and make sure it looks polished.

**Licensed vendors are more likely to not violate official GLO policies and practices. But licensed vendors still can't keep track of every unofficial local/district/regional/chapter policy and protocol.
All of this especially the bolded.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I was talking about puffy-painted shirts. My sorors told me we aren't allowed because of licensing.
Theta Omega Spring '13
Alpha Phi Omega
Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASpr14 View Post
I was talking about puffy-painted shirts. My sorors told me we aren't allowed because of licensing.
Then those AKAs answered your question.

If you are trying to verify something you were told by your prophytes (if you insist but it may not go over well for a Neo to be doing that) do that with fellow AKAs. Don't do that with other Greeks and certainly don't do that on a public board with your chapter information in your posts.

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.