GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,322
1 members and 2,321 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 04-17-2001, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Oh so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be a junior this year I am dying to pledge! I know what I want to pledge but I just don't know what I need to do. I have read the advice given but I am still confused! Am I just supposed to start talking to members (of which I know only 1)? It is too late for me to decide that in the Fall I want to actively pursue becoming a member? Someone please tell me what's up!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2001, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soon2be:
I will be a junior this year I am dying to pledge! I know what I want to pledge but I just don't know what I need to do. I have read the advice given but I am still confused! Am I just supposed to start talking to members (of which I know only 1)? It is too late for me to decide that in the Fall I want to actively pursue becoming a member? Someone please tell me what's up!!!
Well I don't know how it works on your campus, but at least on my campus we have meetings. During the fall we post signs everywhere stating that if anyone is interested in rushing for our fraternity to show up at the meeting. Also some fraternities do some research and look for prospective rushee's. If you know you are interested then get to know some of the members. If you know one of the members then ask if she can introduce you to some of her sisters. Or if you want to be outgoing then you can approach one of the sisters of the sorority you are interested in. Just be social and introduce yourself to some of the sisters. Spring rush is bout over but if you know you want to rush in the fall then I don't think its too late. Hope this helps!
Old 04-17-2001, 04:45 AM
Unregistered-

Exclamation

Okay, I'm assuming that you're going to be a junior in college.

I don't know about other GLOs, but being junior status did not affect me rushing, pledging, and initiating into AGD. However, the sororities do have different policies.

I know that this topic has surfaced before and many people have given their opinions on the situation. Believe me, many others have found themselves in your situation and have asked this question already. If this post doesn't help, I know the older ones will.

IMHO, don't "just start talking to members". And I'm kinda wary about pikeks' advice of asking your friend to introduce you to the sisters, right now at least. To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Spring is almost over and Fall rush is a great time to get to know the sisters. I don't know how it's "too late" to think about rushing in the Fall. It's a more appropriate time to weigh your options, since there's not much you can do this semester.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

i guess everyones advice would be different, but here is what i think. If you are planning to go in fall, you have two options...you can go through formal rush or cob which is continuous open bidding. Formal Rush is great for girls just starting school and dont really know what soror they want to go. In your case, i would go COB. Also, ask your friend that belongs to the sorority you are interested in if you could go to a chapter meeting with her. We have a "fun" chapter every month in my sorority. We do officer reports and some fun sisterhood thing afterwards and most girls will bring a guest like you, a girl interested in the sorority, even a mom or dad who is interested in what sorority life is like!! I would try to get to know some of your friends sisters, see how you like them, etc. Once they hear that your interested, im sure they would love to get to know you! Anything can help as long as you proceed with tact, cheerfulness, honesty and virtue. Good luck to you! letus know how your doing and what you decide!
Old 04-17-2001, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Are you interested in a NPC or NPHC organization? NPHC orgainzations have different porcedures on what you need to do
Old 04-17-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

IF it's an NPHC organization, I'm a little concerned that you're "dying to pledge" yet you only know one member. What kind of public service are you doing? Do you hold membership/office in other campus organizations? Do you live on-campus or off? If you live off campus, do you go to class & then go home or do you hang out afterward. All of these things are factors in how you get to know members REGARDLESS of what GLO you'd like to pledge.

From an NPHC standpoint, honestly, if you wait until the fall to start getting to know the members of the chapter, it's not likely you'll be accepted on the line this year. I'm not sure if you have, but take a minute to read the NPHC organizations's message boards here. There's a lot of good advice from other interests and members regarding this topic.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thankyou for tha advice that I have already recieved! I feel a lot more confident of my state. I will say however that the fact that I don't know any members doesn't contradict my desire any! I know girls in other sororities, I am in activities and I am sociable. I don't hang out though. Why should I? That's not me. Is it necessary?
They have an activity coming up, I think that I will go and check it out. I want my friend to introduce me to some people but should I just go up and start talking to them as stated earlier? Be cool and just asess? what?
Old 04-17-2001, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

First and foremost, be yourself. Pledging is not as easy as "I have the GPA, the hours, and the service, therefore I'm in." You must have some type of interaction with the members of the chapter you wish to join whether it's through a service project, a club, or a class. It's unlikely that a chapter member will cast a positive vote for someone they don't know. BUT, as prospectiverushee said, NPC and NPHC rush work differently, especially with respect to getting to know the members before you rush.

Regarding just walking up to someone and striking up a conversation, unless you have something in common with her, I wouldn't advise it. If you walked up to me to start a conversation and I'd only seen you walking somewhere once or twice and had never talked to you before, the first things that are going to pop into my mind are "who is this chick?" and "Oh, she must want to be a Delta." It's not that I'm conceited, it's just that there are too many young ladies who think kissing the behind of every Delta they meet will get them the chapter's vote, even if it means starting a conversation with someone they never would have otherwise. HOWEVER, I do think letting your friend introduce you to a few of her sorors is fine because she is your common bond. But, by the same token, I wouldn't allow her to be your only means of getting to know them, because talk may start along the lines of "oh she's using so-and-so to get in." (more than likely because they don't know you & can only go by what they see)

Mind you, this is my OPINION and in no way a representation of how things really work in my, or any other, sorority. I hope this made sense. If not, my e-mail is in my profile.

Kel

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited April 17, 2001).]
Old 04-19-2001, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Thanks 12dn94dst!