GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,423
3 members and 2,420 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands, zagelpitto2616
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Come on now, everyone knows what some of the female users were doing was not giving advice. Being 26 and having lots of social experience I know how gender relations work. A lot of these female users were probably in sororities back in their college days and were at their peak. Then graduation came and they had to move on to the real world which can be one cold place. They long for those days when they were in a sorority and at their peak but those days will never come for them because they are long past their prime. As a result of all that they see a guy like me who through very unfortunate circumstances (poverty, strict parenting, etc.) wants to have a chance at being in a fraternity and it destroys them on the inside for someone to try and find happiness in that scene.

I didn't want to go there but I had to, this isn't about giving another perspective a try. This is a thread about fraternities and yes ideally I would like to hear from guys in a fraternity and not females who are likely away from their sorority days.

Nothing is going to stop me from trying, I do know that 26 isn't that old and I have no issues being around 18-22 year old guys because I can relate to them. Most guys my age are settling down and having families, they don't like the idea of drinking and partying. I never had a chance to enjoy that, ever, so that is one of the reasons I want to be in a fraternity along with others such as belonging to a brotherhood of like minded men who just want to enjoy life.

IN b4 female user tries to get the last word and is still in denial about the fact that she is well past her prime.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
It has nothing to do with morals. I couldn't care less about your morals. I also don't care if you rush or pledge. I offered no advice and really wasn't even speaking to you. I was poking fun at the concept of old guy pledging a fraternity. Because it's funny. That's why Old School had the old guy Blue as a pledge in the script. Because it's funny.

If you are seeking membership in NPHC/MCGLO/LGLO/AGLO as DrPhil mentioned, then I believe that's a different story and not funny.
then why are you even on this thread if you aren't offering advice?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
Because the entertainment value is rising and some of us are bored
Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Come on now, everyone knows what some of the female users were doing was not giving advice. Being 26 and having lots of social experience I know how gender relations work. A lot of these female users were probably in sororities back in their college days and were at their peak. Then graduation came and they had to move on to the real world which can be one cold place. They long for those days when they were in a sorority and at their peak but those days will never come for them because they are long past their prime. As a result of all that they see a guy like me who through very unfortunate circumstances (poverty, strict parenting, etc.) wants to have a chance at being in a fraternity and it destroys them on the inside for someone to try and find happiness in that scene.

I didn't want to go there but I had to, this isn't about giving another perspective a try. This is a thread about fraternities and yes ideally I would like to hear from guys in a fraternity and not females who are likely away from their sorority days.

Nothing is going to stop me from trying, I do know that 26 isn't that old and I have no issues being around 18-22 year old guys because I can relate to them. Most guys my age are settling down and having families, they don't like the idea of drinking and partying. I never had a chance to enjoy that, ever, so that is one of the reasons I want to be in a fraternity along with others such as belonging to a brotherhood of like minded men who just want to enjoy life.

IN b4 female user tries to get the last word and is still in denial about the fact that she is well past her prime.
QFP... just priceless.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Signed_up_user, most of the alumnae who participate in Greek Chat are involved in supporting collegiate chapters as advisors, during recruitment, etc. They have current knowledge of how things work. Therefore, I would not discount the advice you've been given, even though it some of it may be contrary to what you're hoping to hear.

Greek membership is for life, and alumnae support is crucial in sustaining these organizations and supporting the current collegiate membership.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'll bite - Do you think that the active members who are 18-22 can relate to you? They will be the one offering you a bid to join. If you come across as a douche canoe in Rush, you will not need to worry about membership.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Do fraternity guys just not get on the fraternity section? I would like to hear directly from them and not sorority girls who are well past their prime and have likely graduated college.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicampbell View Post
I'll bite - Do you think that the active members who are 18-22 can relate to you? They will be the one offering you a bid to join. If you come across as a douche canoe in Rush, you will not need to worry about membership.
A lot of active fraternity men are misogynists, so it looks like the OP will have that in common with them.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

^^Holy hasty generalization, Batman!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
A lot of active fraternity men are misogynists, so it looks like the OP will have that in common with them.
Being a misogynist means I think of women as less than men which I really don't. I just believe that in this particular situation the given female users who have been trying to actively stop me from being a part of Greek Life and enjoy some social experiences that way happen to fall into a certain group of females. Just like I feel that there are certain kinds of males who were probably anti-social growing up and made no effort to better their social lives. Instead of trying to do what is best for them they try to sabotage others, I look down on those males but that doesn't mean I hate all males.

Read my statements carefully, I never said I think less of all women or even implied it. I singled out a certain category of women but that is because those female users were actively trying to stop me rather than give me advice.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM

You got several good responses FROM MEN telling you what to expect in rush. You got one response from a woman who I do agree was being a little moralistic. Instead of just saying "I realize the age difference could be an issue and I have no interest in 18 year old girls" you got a bit oinky about it.

No one is going to say what will happen because we don't know that for any rushee.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I told you why...because I'M MAKING FUN OF YOU and your old ass. There is no general GC requirement to offer advice to any poster.

Signed,

A past her prime sorority alumna who has no interest in any 26 year old man.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Banned

The OP needs to ask himself why he is still SERIOUSLY (not jokingly) responding to this thread. He already said nothing is going to stop him from trying membership in particular types of fraternities. Therefore, stop going back and forth with people who have long accomplished what you are still striving to accomplish--collegiate GLO membership and post-graduate GLO involvement. Move on from this thread and see whether you can join a fraternity. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I told you why...because I'M MAKING FUN OF YOU and your old ass. There is no general GC requirement to offer advice to any poster.

Signed,

A past her prime sorority alumna who has no interest in any 26 year old man.
What a classy lady, it's alright, my "old ass" still has a ton of options and sorority girls past their prime are not on that list. Go worry about your biological clock which is ticking while I worry about rushing alright?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

With that said, I just want to re-state my main interest in joining a fraternity is because I want to be a part of a brotherhood where guys enjoy being young guys that love partying, and drinking. 26 is not really that old for guys in my experience but I understand it is older than what these guys would expect.

A simple statement saying it might be an issue with some of the brothers would have sufficed and I knew that before posting the thread. What I wanted to get was whether it was possible but then the old ladies who probably have 5+++ cats by no persistently tried to talk me out of it and call me names. There is something to be said about women who are long past their prime but still long for those days being very judgmental and trying to make everyone's lives miserable. I tried to ignore them and even reason with them, just check the first half of the thread, but they left me no choice.
Closed Thread