GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,447
2 members and 2,445 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Illinois View Post
I do think a lot of pnms are telling them they are having a perfect recruitment so they think it's just them. I told the ladies they had to ignore that because anyone can say anything and their recruitments sound like a majority of the ones I hear about.
When I rushed, there were these two girls on my floor, who were roommates from the same high school, and they were both super-set on XYZ after first invitational. All week, they were talking about how they were going to be XYZ's together. I also had XYZ in my top 5, and I thought it would be cool to be in XYZ with two girls down the hall.

So then, we got "revised" invitation lists. I had been dropped by XYZ. I was sad, and had a mini-breakdown about going from 9 invitations to really only 5, but I got over it. That same day, one of the girls from down the hall told me that her parents weren't letting her finish recruitment. She obviously, then, stopped hanging out with the group rushing (as we were all-consumed with rush), and her roommate went on to pledge XYZ.

I realized a few months later that, very obviously, the one girl had gotten dropped from XYZ, and withdrawn from rush on her own accord. This was the year that put XYZ on a serious upward trajectory in recruiting strength, and as such, their cuts between first and second invitational were extensive.

So, to make a long story short (too late!), women LIE to save face all of the time. Heck, one of the women on my floor got 18 out of 19 possible invites for the first invitational, and made up a long rambling excuse about why she didn't want the 19th house anyway.

(and obviously, I know you know this, I am just reminiscing)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

my daughter tells me that everyone she has talked to has 7 houses on their schedule. People ask to see hers, and she's embarrassed to show only her 4!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908sfirst View Post
my daughter tells me that everyone she has talked to has 7 houses on their schedule. People ask to see hers, and she's embarrassed to show only her 4!
Is 7 the max today? I assure you that plenty women do not have 7. Also, it only takes one it only takes one it only takes one.

And to be a narcissistic hijacker, my thread is here.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Most everyone says they have the max parties and most everyone dropped every house they did not return to. I have heard that so much I cannot begin to express how easy it is for anyone to say whatever they want. It's not polite to ask anyone to see their list, that's for someone to offer to show and I really wish the pnms did not do this. 4 houses are wonderful...seriously she is doing very well!

Quote:
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Is 7 the max today? I assure you that plenty women do not have 7. Also, it only takes one it only takes one it only takes one.

And to be a narcissistic hijacker, my thread is here.
Yes there are 7 parties today, but I haven't heard from anyone that has confided in me in actually having that many to go to.
I am going to read your story now, which I never saw so thanks so much for posting...I love reading these!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can assure you, just like everyone else, this is false. There's a lot of game playing among young ladies during such a stressful time - people have their little strategies for coping and hoping. Try, try to get her not to share that info or get caught up in what anyone else is doing, although I know it's really hard. It's not quantity, it's quality and focusing on what you have, not what you don't have. It truly does only take one. Best wishes to her.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

IT ONLY TAKES ONE

IT ONLY TAKES ONE.

I REPEAT IT ONLY TAKES O-N-E.

I know it hurts not to have a full schedule.

Those other girls may have more parties.

Things can change on dime during Recruitment. Those girl's schedules can drop from 7 to one orNONE in a heartbeat.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter did NOT get back all 7…and according to her, she hasn't met ANYONE yet that has! I totally agree with DeltaBabyDelta, DGIllinois, IL Anchor Girl and BAckbOwlsgIrl….it appears that there are some fairly insecure girls going through rush (as always!) and find it necessary to 'say' they are going to 7 parties….. Very rare, indeed. There were some deep cuts this round as expected. I am really hoping my daughter gets at least 2 tomorrow….but we'll see!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how rare it is, but things have gone very well for my daughter SO FAR. For the first round, she was invited back to her top 13 choices. Yesterday, she was invited to 7 houses, and 6 were from her top 7 choices. The one that did not invite her back is supposedly one of the top tier sororities...whatever that means...but it really did not click with her and the lack of an invite was no real surprise, nor was it disappointing.

She is very nervous for today when they go down to 3. I think what has worked so far is that she did not have her mind set on a particular sorority. My guess would be that if a girl is obsessed with a certain sorority, the other houses may sense this. Obviously there are many factors, but she was been excited to visit each house, and her enthusiasm probably helps.

At this point she has a definite favorite, but she seems to really like most of the 7. She is worried about going from 7 invites to zero. I guess the pressure is different for everybody. As it has gone pretty smooth so far, her top 7 are pretty popular ones, and she feels this makes it more likely that she will not get invites. But I have a feeling it will work out. I think she loves the one because she really clicked with them, and I would guess that they can see her enthusiasm and clicked with her as well. We shall see. As somebody else wrote, the road to get there doesn't matter so long as she gets there.

Last edited by Illinoisdg; 09-09-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to the girls today (and to the moms waiting for news)! Will they be able to let you know where they are headed today?

The good news is … it appears that for the girls finishing the week, the numbers are very favorable in regard to receiving a bid. According to the most recent numbers (2010) on the link lovespink88 posted earlier, only about 2.5% of those signing a pref card did not receive a bid (and it is possible that some of that number did not maximize their pref options).

Also favorable (same year) is that only 2 were released from all chapters during the process (the 360 girls who withdrew during the process seem to have skewed the “percent placed in chapter” number to seem a lot less favorable).

Hoping for a happy ending for all of you – is it customary on this campus for parents to attend bid day?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisdg View Post
I don't know how rare it is, but things have gone very well for my daughter SO FAR. For the first round, she was invited back to her top 13 choices. Yesterday, she was invited to 7 houses, and 6 were from her top 7 choices. The one that did not invite her back is supposedly one of the top tier sororities...whatever that means...but it really did not click with her and the lack of an invite was no real surprise, nor was it disappointing.

She is very nervous for today when they go down to 3. I think what has worked so far is that she did not have her mind set on a particular sorority. My guess would be that if a girl is obsessed with a certain sorority, the other houses may sense this. Obviously there are many factors, but she was been excited to visit each house, and her enthusiasm probably helps.

At this point she has a definite favorite, but she seems to really like most of the 7. She is worried about going from 7 invites to zero. I guess the pressure is different for everybody. As it has gone pretty smooth so far, her top 7 are pretty popular ones, and she feels this makes it more likely that she will not get invites. But I have a feeling it will work out. I think she loves the one because she really clicked with them, and I would guess that they can see her enthusiasm and clicked with her as well. We shall see. As somebody else wrote, the road to get there doesn't matter so long as she gets there.
Your user name is very confusing. I thought you were one of the real Illinois DGs that post in here and this was about your legacy rush at your school which is always very interesting to me. If I were a DG I would be really offended by you still using my letters especially since some other people have already told you how rude it is so now you know and being new to this is no excuse. It would be easy to do the right thing and be nice and start over with a new name.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Your user name is very confusing. I thought you were one of the real Illinois DGs that post in here and this was about your legacy rush at your school which is always very interesting to me. If I were a DG I would be really offended by you still using my letters especially since some other people have already told you how rude it is so now you know and being new to this is no excuse. It would be easy to do the right thing and be nice and start over with a new name.
I put in a request to change the name. Sorry I didn't search every name to see if there could be a likelihood a not so bright person may be confused. Why don't you get a life and MYOB.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I put in a request to change the name. Sorry I didn't search every name to see if there could be a likelihood a not so bright person may be confused. Why don't you get a life and MYOB.
oh my....
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Good luck to the girls today (and to the moms waiting for news)! Will they be able to let you know where they are headed today?

The good news is … it appears that for the girls finishing the week, the numbers are very favorable in regard to receiving a bid. According to the most recent numbers (2010) on the link lovespink88 posted earlier, only about 2.5% of those signing a pref card did not receive a bid (and it is possible that some of that number did not maximize their pref options).

Also favorable (same year) is that only 2 were released from all chapters during the process (the 360 girls who withdrew during the process seem to have skewed the “percent placed in chapter” number to seem a lot less favorable).

Hoping for a happy ending for all of you – is it customary on this campus for parents to attend bid day?
Yes, women not being placed are virtually always those who do not list all chapters on their bid cards.

Parents do not attend bid day at U of I. It's on a Monday, after classes, and while fun to run to your chapter and all that, it is not NEARLY the big deal that it is in SECland.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What is not so bright about thinking someone who uses the user name of Illinoisdg on a Greek message board is an Illinois Delta Gamma? I hope you don't speak this abusively to your daughter's friends since I am in her same age range too and that would make you a not very nice person.