GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 973
1 members and 972 guests
No Members online

Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Middle eastren wanting to Rush

Hello i was stumbling around the web for basic facts about joining a fraternity. My major concerns were simple that im not white and would like to join a IFC chapter which usally are majority causian. Im from Kurdstan which is located near Iraq but have been in the US almost all my life. I have some white friends but mostly hang out with other minoritys. I would love to join a Frat due to the storys of brotherhood and connections you make for future jobs being in the bussiness field. Im currently a freshman attending The Unviresty of Nebraska Lincoln which has a great greek system. Is there any chance i can get into the Greek system Knowing my backround? And would you guys recommend any chapters that are more willing to let people from other cultueres get in? Also what steps should i take for rushing this upcoming spring? I really appricate your guys help.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I suspect that most IFC chapters at UNL have already held their spring rush events and most likely filled their spring pledge classes. However, some chapters may still be looking for members. As such, contact the UNL Greek Life office and let them know your interest. But I wouldn’t count on that many chapters, if any, looking for members at this time.

Even if that is the case, most of, if not all of, the UNL fraternities have their main rush events during the summer. The bulk of the fall pledge classes are formed from these summer events so contacting the Greek Life office now should get you on the list for this summer’s rush events.

You mentioned that you have lived in the U.S. for most of your life. Was that in or near Nebraska? Most UNL chapters are made up of men from Nebraska and the surrounding states. This is mainly due to summer rush events being held in state and in a few nearby out of state cities. But a kind of “formal” rush is held at the start of the fall semester as well. So if you are unable to attend the summer rush events, then you may still attend events once the fall semester starts.

In the meantime, do you know any members of any of the chapters? If so, talk to them not only about their chapter, but your general interest in joining a fraternity. If you feel comfortable doing so, ask your friends the same questions you are asking here. Of if you know any sorority women, ask them as well. They would have a better idea as to what the chapters demographics might be.

Best of luck.