GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,501
0 members and 2,501 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Question Are you a daughter of Job?

Any Job's Daughters out there?

Some one posted a link about OES and it got me thinking. I had a friend I met through Girl Scouts way back when, who was a Job's Daughter. She invited me to her initiation when she became Sr. Princess. Beautiful ceremony.

Did you enjoy your time and did you find it benificial? (in any way)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-25-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
my grandmother was/is and she enjoyed it from what i know.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Is that kind of like the Daughters of the Republic of Texas?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Nope... The International Order of Job's Daughters (IOJD, sometimes nicknamed 'Jobies') is a youth organization for girls between 11 and 20 who have Masonic or OES blood ties (father, mother, grandmother, etc.). Their website is at www.iojd.org .

Another Masonic youth organization for girls is the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls (IORG). Their membership requirements are not as strict as Job's Daughters for membership. Masonic relationship is preferred but not required, any Rainbow member may recommend a girl for membership. Their website is at www.iorg.org .

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 03-25-2003, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a Rainbow Girl & although I didn't know it then, I realize that it was a big part of making me the person that I am today. The lessons were invaluable, and the friends are lifelong. Much like sorority life... *edited to say, I suspect Job's Daughters had much the same effect on its members.

I was not a Job's Daughter because (a) my family had not maintained its Masonic ties and (b) there weren't any in Texas! Several of my Rainbow sisters were initiated into Job's Daughters when they traveled to OK to visit Supreme Assembly.

Happily, I learned from the other GC thread that OES now accepts Rainbow Majority Members now, so I look forward to joining someday (when my life is more settled).
Old 03-25-2003, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
I was a Job's Daughter for about two years before I moved to Virginia...bethel 48 out of San Rafael, California...I was there from 1993 to 1995.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thread hijack

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Texas*Princess, are you a DRT? I'm into genealogy, and am in a few lineage societies. I just love family history!! I also collect immigration stories - some are just precious!

Oh, I was in Rainbow for almost a year while in high school. My chapter was full of terrible snobs, and after hearing a bunch of them rip a new initiate to threads, I never went back. But I do hear that there are some lovely chapters out there.

honeychile
Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Thread hijack

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Texas*Princess, are you a DRT? I'm into genealogy, and am in a few lineage societies. I just love family history!! I also collect immigration stories - some are just precious!

Oh, I was in Rainbow for almost a year while in high school. My chapter was full of terrible snobs, and after hearing a bunch of them rip a new initiate to threads, I never went back. But I do hear that there are some lovely chapters out there.

honeychile
honeychile, no I'm not a DRT, but it sounds like an awesome organization. I completely agree that geneology can be quite fascinating! My great-great-grandparents from both my parent's sides are from completely different states (before moving to Tx) and the vast majority of my family has lived in Texas since.

Kinda off the topic of the thread, but my AP Government high school teacher is a DRT, and she is a very wonderful & influencial person
Old 03-27-2003, 06:19 PM
cutiepatootie

let me see

Does being a PHQ, MM, PBG and a former gb girl qualify???????
Old 03-27-2003, 06:24 PM
cutiepatootie

I am I am

Before i prematurely sent that other post off yes i have been in job's since i was 11 yrs old. I am 34 now ...20 + yrs... and i have held every office 2 over just about and i am a Past Honored Queen , Majority member and past bethel guardian.

Job's daughters taught me so much in life and has made me the person i am today. I think that is what made me be in a sorority the extension of jobs into greek life.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't, but one of my good friends in elementary school and middle school was, and so I got to go to a couple of their events. It always seemed like fun but I don't know of any Masonic ties in my family, if we have any, and I doubt my parents would have let me do it even so. My mom didn't even let me join Girl Scouts when I was little . . . I think that may be why I rebelled and joined a sorority in college, hehe.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Jobie

I am a Job's Daughter. and love it. i am actually now a Majority Member but still active. Being in APO is almost like being in Jobies b/c they have the same structure, not as strict but still.
I would not be in APO today or in anything for that matter if it were not for Jobies. it helped me get out of my shyness and have more confidence. it was great. i just wish there was a bethel in NC that was closer to me.

Letha Ellis
Alpha Epsilon Upsilon
of Alpha Phi Omega.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Another former Job's Daughter here. It was alright, but I wasn't crazy about it. Quit as soon as my grandmother would let me. It felt pretty weird to have to put on formal attire to change into a robe to change back into a formal on a Monday night. Just bizarre - but it did help me memorize the Lord's Prayer (we weren't real church goers in my family) so I blend in better with my inlaws.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 PM
cutiepatootie

Re: Are you a daughter of Job?

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
Any Job's Daughters out there?

Some one posted a link about OES and it got me thinking. I had a friend I met through Girl Scouts way back when, who was a Job's Daughter. She invited me to her initiation when she became Sr. Princess. Beautiful ceremony.

Did you enjoy your time and did you find it benificial? (in any way)
She invited you to her installation not initiation because yoru not allowed in unless your a jobie or being initiated.

I found my time very beneficial and worthwhile. i am 35 and still volunteer my time and tlanets to it for it shaped me into the person i am
Old 04-06-2004, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone I know who was in this was really cocky and secretive about it...and these are the same girls who now poke fun at those of us who joined Gamma Phi, Pi Phi, and DZ. I think we got the better end of the deal.