GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,234
3 members and 1,231 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Becoming a Rho Gamma?

So a few weeks ago at meeting our recruitment chair announced she would be mailing Rho Gamma applications to girls she thought would be good for the job. They were due the 5th, and so I assumed I wasn't getting one, but this morning I opened my mail box and found an application. I am assuming this means not enough girls from our organization applied. I am thinking about filling it out, but I am unsure. I have been on social probation this entire semester, and therefore missed out on formal, greek week, and mixers with my sisters, which has already started to hurt my relationships with them. I am worried that if I disaffiliate for any period of time this will only get worse. Recruitment is set for the third week in September, so a month after we start school, so I would be one month without my sisters.

One one hand, I feel like it is almost an honor for our recruitment chair to think that I would be a good rho gamma. I just don't know what to do.

What is your input? What is the best thing about being a rho gamma? Do you think I should do it, or no? I am making a pro/con list and thinking about it overnight, but since it's so past due I feel like I should make a decision by tomorrow. :/
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM

If you don't feel secure in your relationships with your sisters, then the last thing you should do right now is be a Rho Gamma. You may unconsciously convey that uneasiness to PNMs and heaven knows how they will take it. JMO.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I've thought about that, but then I also thought maybe it would be better for the girls to see it from their Rho Gamma than from an active sister at a recruitment party.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateee View Post
I've thought about that, but then I also thought maybe it would be better for the girls to see it from their Rho Gamma than from an active sister at a recruitment party.
Yes and no. It might seem like you are trying to get away from your sisters by being a rho gam (this is a potential PNM perception). A PNM could also believe that the sister was nervous or bored.

Work week (recruitment prep week) has a tendency to bring sisters closer together. I know I bonded with a ton of sisters who I most likely wouldn't have without our spirit week. I learned a ton about other sisters and it was really fun.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should stick with your sisters.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of the Rho Gammas from my school were doing it to take a break from their sororities. Do what is right for you.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a Rho Gamma for 2 years, prior to junior & senior years. That was too much time away from my sisters. I should not have done it my junior year. Not being involved with recruitment as an active prior to my junior year made it somewhat more difficult for me to bond with the new member class. I did have a couple of very special PNMs in my group that pledged Theta, which was really cool! Personally I think that only seniors should be Rho Gammas.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks guys. I have given it careful thought and talked to our recruitment chair. She has my application in her hand but only if no one else steps up and submits one. We need three girls, and no one else has applied, and it's now 9 days after the deadline. I guess we will see what happens.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I just think everyone should go through recruitment "on the other side" before they serve as a Rho Gamma. I think that's better for you, and better for the PNMs.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^agree X 1000.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never been through a formal recrutiment as an active, but we have informal spring recruitment, so I've seen a little bit of it. I just hope she doesn't have to turn in my application. It was announced again at meeting that she needs people. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I got the letter the other day, I am a Rho Gamma for Fall of 2013. Now comes the extensive clean up of my online accounts. Thanks for the advice everyone, I am honestly excited about it in many ways, but not looking forward to it in so many others.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateee View Post
I got the letter the other day, I am a Rho Gamma for Fall of 2013. Now comes the extensive clean up of my online accounts. Thanks for the advice everyone, I am honestly excited about it in many ways, but not looking forward to it in so many others.
Good luck! I look back on my two recruitments as a Rho Gamma and think of them as the most fun I had with sorority recruitment - even my own! I also remember a lot of the members of my group and have kept up with them through the years.

Have fun cleaning up those accounts! We had facebook but had just gotten it when I was a Rho Gamma, so it was easy. I'm not staring down cleaning out an email inbox in preparation for changes and hand-offs and am avoiding it like the plague.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Good luck! I look back on my two recruitments as a Rho Gamma and think of them as the most fun I had with sorority recruitment - even my own! I also remember a lot of the members of my group and have kept up with them through the years.
All of this. Plus it is really fun when your PNM gets a bid to your chapter. I remember how excited she was when she saw my reveal and then to get her bid.

Good luck with the clean up. It was really hard for me!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The Rho Gammas at my school all had to inactivate their Facebook accounts but were allowed to keep their twitter accounts if they didn't have their real name attached to them. So we started knowing Amy Smith's as Suzie Jones! You may find that to be easier