GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,516
2 members and 1,514 guests
*winter*, znathanhulzeo24

Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior Rushing?

I am about to be a Junior and I am considering rushing this Summer/Fall. Is it too late to join a sorority? I am majoring in Chemical Engineering and minoring in Chemistry and Business so I will actually be attending this school for another two years (plus). Will they take that into consideration? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Do a search for some of the threads on upperclassmen going through recruitment. I think those can be of some help to you.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Christy,

A lot depends on your school, but I think you should definitely go for it. At many schools Juniors and Seniors are "free" (meaning they do not count in quota). Our school makes seniors free, but we still pledge a good number of sophomores and juniors. I would recommend trying to get references for each sorority, if you can. Also, let the girls know that you will be at school for at least another two years. The big drawback is that girls pledge as juniors and are seniors before ever being able to hold office and really get involved. If you can show that you will be an involved member, then you should have a good chance.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sigmadork
okay, so i waited until my junior year to rush, and was accepted. i found that while freshmen bring chances to grow, juniors and seniors bring knowledge of college life, and a certain maturity that a sorority needs. im sure that you will find a place to call home. also, since you have been on campus awhile, you should know more about who you are interesed in, and this is a plus.

Sigma Sigma Sigma
Gamma Psi

~Try Something Special: Tri Sigma~
Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christysb13 View Post
I am about to be a Junior and I am considering rushing this Summer/Fall. Is it too late to join a sorority? I am majoring in Chemical Engineering and minoring in Chemistry and Business so I will actually be attending this school for another two years (plus). Will they take that into consideration? Thanks for your help!
Please make sure YOU have taken the time requirements and responsibilities of sorority membership into consideration. With an intense major and minors like you have, I expect you will be very busy with those upper level courses. It is very frustrating for a chapter to pledge/initiate a member only to have her resign due to lack of time.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

South/North? Competitive/Not? Who do you know in houses? Do they accept upper classmen? How good are your grades? How active are you around school?

Yes, it's possible depending on the questions above. Many on this forum pledged as Juniors including myself. It helps to have outstanding grades. It helps if you have been involved in school. It helps to have recs and know girls in chapters.....

You know the answers to the questions.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Junior Rushing/ Pledging?

I have similar questions. I am a sophomore now at a Penn State branch campus. I want to pledge a sorority, but there aren't any available at my campus. When I transfer to main campus, I will be a junior. Are juniors accepted well in the bid/ rush process? Can I pledge from a satellite campus? I've heard of snap bids but I'm not sure how you can get one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I PM'd you, dance143.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 PM

dance143: I know psusue probably told you this, but no you cannot pledge from a satellite campus.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello all, I'm just a sister friend,

To extend on the original thread... why does PHC prefer freshman candidates? Maybe my view is slanted... but I myself am a first generation college student... heavily involved in my community, but as a freshman without the prior exposure to Greek life more particularly PHC organizations how could one truly now what org they fit in?

I guess my real question is if a candidate waits a year to rush to what is the negative asspect form the organizations perspective that would make them favor a freshman?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love1god View Post
Hello all, I'm just a sister friend,

To extend on the original thread... why does PHC prefer freshman candidates? Maybe my view is slanted... but I myself am a first generation college student... heavily involved in my community, but as a freshman without the prior exposure to Greek life more particularly PHC organizations how could one truly now what org they fit in?

I guess my real question is if a candidate waits a year to rush to what is the negative asspect form the organizations perspective that would make them favor a freshman?
At the schools where freshmen are preferred (at many it does not matter so much), the thought process is that there are so many fantastic women rushing that you can fill up an entire pledge class with just freshmen. If all else is equal between two women, why wouldn't you want the one who will be in the chapter for four years rather than two?

In addition, women who join as juniors are less likely to be involved (obviously there are exceptions). They already have other groups of friends, are members of other organizations, could care less about socializing with primarily freshmen and are in time consuming classes.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you APhiAnna.

Make sense...
Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I am currently at one of the other psu campuses and will be at main my junior year and would really like to pledge..is it to late ? will i get in? ..my friend is in one there would she help my chances of getting in ? i dont want to miss out on being greek...thanks so much !!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenx03 View Post
I am currently at one of the other psu campuses and will be at main my junior year and would really like to pledge..is it to late ? will i get in? ..my friend is in one there would she help my chances of getting in ? i dont want to miss out on being greek...thanks so much !!
As it has been said before, yes, sometimes juniors get bids at Penn State, but it is imperative that you keep an open mind and really consider all the chapters. I know juniors who went through formal recruitment and got full schedules and ended up in wonderful chapters, but an open mind is definitely necessary. Great grades and friends in the chapter helps, however most Penn State sororities are 90+ women, so one person liking you and wanting you to join doesn't necessarily mean that the other 89 will agree. Just to let you know the realities of it, so you aren't taken by surprise. But in any case, juniors do get bids at Penn State (we had five juniors just in my pledge class last fall, including me!) but it does mean that you must consider all of your options. Best of luck!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenx03 View Post
Which campus are you at, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
As it has been said before, yes, sometimes juniors get bids at Penn State, but it is imperative that you keep an open mind and really consider all the chapters. I know juniors who went through formal recruitment and got full schedules and ended up in wonderful chapters, but an open mind is definitely necessary. Great grades and friends in the chapter helps, however most Penn State sororities are 90+ women, so one person liking you and wanting you to join doesn't necessarily mean that the other 89 will agree. Just to let you know the realities of it, so you aren't taken by surprise. But in any case, juniors do get bids at Penn State (we had five juniors just in my pledge class last fall, including me!) but it does mean that you must consider all of your options. Best of luck!
This is very true.

Penn State is one of those schools where sororities are more likely to take a junior, with 20 branch campuses and so many people transferring in after their second year. However, you are still a junior, and there are still a lot of freshmen PNMs.

Be sure that your GPA is great, that you're involved on campus, and that you'll "stand out" amongst all of the PNMs going through recruitment. And if you keep an open mind, you will better your chances.

And as psusue has already said, don't rely on that one friend to get you a bid.

Good luck!

@~/~~~~