GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,340
2 members and 2,338 guests
Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM

And now for something completely different...

Didn't we have this thread already?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
Okay, I get that the SOUTH is BAT SHIT CRAZY and beyond. Or at least some parts of the SOUTH are BAT SHIT CRAZY. May be we there is a BAT SHIT CRAZY google map or google earth for that.

BAT SHIT CRAZINESS aside, my experience has been that after a while it doesn't matter what GLO you were in, just that you were in one at all. There seems to be a certain bond of members of GLOs. It is that we know that we all have similar values and standards. And probably more importantly, ironically, is that we all know what we had to go through in our GLO's; meetings, community service, study hours, fun times, formals, and doing all the stuff that we weren't supposed to do but did anyway, etc.

Sure people may notice that you were part of a certain GLO but that was years ago with a certain reputation at THEIR school/region that may be different from your school/region. And, trust me, from my experience, I can say that I have changed so much. Sure, there are similarities between who I was then and who I am now. In all honesty, as much as I would like to think that had I rushed today on my campus, I would be in the same org as I am today, I really don't know. Not that I don't love my org, I am just older, wiser, more down to earth yet still pretentious while being cynical and less sober.

Just my 4 cents. I will hop off my soap box.
Aww, Come on! Bless your heart, I may be crazy, but BAT SHIT CRAZY is reserved for BAMA fans.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of BAMA fans - pretty sure their new interim president will mention which sorority she's in.....
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/03/...dy_bonner.html
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
It depends...

I do remember hearing a story from an Ole Miss Chi Omega alumna who owns a vacation home in Montana -- She met a wonderful, beautiful, classy woman (not at all unlike herself). This woman and her family owned the house next door in Montana. The two women became great friends and one day talked about their college sorority experiences. My friend was understandably proud of her Chi Omega affiliation (Chi Omega having a very strong reputation in the state of Mississippi). The new friend shared with great pride that she was an Alpha Phi from (I think it was) Univ. of South Dakota. Long story - short, neither was very impressed by the other woman's affiliation. My friend Mary Lee had never heard of Alpha Phi and Meredith, the other lady, was not at all impressed with Chi Omega. Both were thinking their sorority was "the best" and surprised that the other was from a group that wasn't very good.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I recently read the novel Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter because the author is a KD from Alabama--in fact, she mentions in info in the back of the paperback edition that the main character's friends are modeled after her own sorority sisters--but as in The Help, the main character is a Chi Omega from Ole Miss. I wonder why these writers wouldn't take the opportunity to give a little PR to their own sororities, but maybe the Chi O at Ole Miss represents to them the epitome of southernness.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
--but as in The Help, the main character is a Chi Omega from Ole Miss. I wonder why these writers wouldn't take the opportunity to give a little PR to their own sororities, but maybe the Chi O at Ole Miss represents to them the epitome of southernness.
I wondered that too. The author is a Phi Mu, right? Phi Mu is very Southern, in my mind.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think you have it flip-flopped. (I also think this came from a different thread.) The question was would the student body (and ergo, sorority rush) change with admittance to a different athletic conference - my answer is yes, definitely.
Yes I did ask that question earlier in this thread, just went a bit off topic.

I wonder how many other people would share this view.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I wondered that too. The author is a Phi Mu, right? Phi Mu is very Southern, in my mind.
Yes. If the book is anywhere as racist as the movie is, I'm glad she didn't mention Phi Mu, but I think she should have just made up letters or something.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter was married last Saturday, March 3. The groom's sister was in a sorority in a prominent Big 10 school. I knew the reputation of her group (like it or not) because of positive comments from members of my fraternity at their chapter at that school at a recent national convention. I complimented her on the strength and prominence of her sorority, and placed a guess at which other houses she returned to for her final three. She nearly dropped her plate--"How could you have known that?!" I told her it was a lucky guess based on strength and reputation of her own chapter and which other houses they competed against.

So strongholds on certain campuses (and towns and states) do not change quickly, and she had been out of school 10 years. We had a terrific conversation about Greek life on her campus and--now that she lives on the East Coast--how much she values conversations with her sorority sisters and how much those bonds mean to her. She was thrilled that my daughter was also a sorority woman, and commented in a positive way about my daughter's sorority chapter at her school. When I saw this thread, it just presented the opportunity to mention my recent experience and help prove the point of this thread
Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yes. If the book is anywhere as racist as the movie is, I'm glad she didn't mention Phi Mu, but I think she should have just made up letters or something.
Even though I was surprised about Whistlin' Dixie, I was glad, too. Didn't really like the book, and the main character wasn't that sympathetic.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I've made connections with other women who are in a sorority, but it was not dependent on which GLO and/or chapter.

Example: When I was in grad school I had to turn in some paper work to the auditor for grants in my department. I walked in her office wearing one of my lettered sweaters and she asked if I was in a sorority. I said yes, and then she told me she was in one too, AGD. After that we became much better friends. We bonded over the fact that both of us are in sororities. And, I can't tell you the number of women who frequent my favorite needlepoint shop who are in sororities - there a lot of them!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
BAT SHIT CRAZINESS aside, my experience has been that after a while it doesn't matter what GLO you were in, just that you were in one at all. There seems to be a certain bond of members of GLOs. It is that we know that we all have similar values and standards. And probably more importantly, ironically, is that we all know what we had to go through in our GLO's; meetings, community service, study hours, fun times, formals, and doing all the stuff that we weren't supposed to do but did anyway, etc.
This has happened to me more than a few times now. I was attending a large benefit event in Louisville sponsored by a date's place of employment. We were seated at large tables where the men all knew each other from work and none of the women at the table had met before. I was seated with an AGD from Georgia and a Theta from Kentucky. It gave us something to break the ice and it ended up being an enjoyable evening even while our dates were working the room. Even though our schools are different and we were from different groups, we definitely had shared experiences.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I kind of equate plder alumni truly caring about another's affiliation (to a point where they're "bat shit crazy".. and mean, in some instances) with the people who never left their hometown and still talk about people from high school and who's dating whom.

Who cares.

I actually get excited when I see/meet a member of a GLO other than my own.. and I imagine others do too, as you'll notice in the 'Finding Your Letters Somewhere You Didn't Expect' thread, where everyone talks about seeing letters other than their own most of the time.

As someone mentioned earlier, we all have a connection (even if it's a minor one in some cases) and an understanding of what it means to be Greek.. That should be what matters.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-06-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I actually get excited when I see/meet a member of a GLO other than my own.. and I imagine others do too, as you'll notice in the 'Finding Your Letters Somewhere You Didn't Expect' thread, where everyone talks about seeing letters other than their own most of the time.
I certainly agree with you. If I met you, in person, I would be excited, since I've never met a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I kind of equate older alumni truly caring about another's affiliation (to a point where they're "bat shit crazy".. and mean, in some instances) with the people who never left their hometown and still talk about people from high school and who's dating whom.

Who cares.
Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.