GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,157
1 members and 2,156 guests
zdaidjunioro429

Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

How much pull does a legacy have at an SEC school?

I am going to be attending Texas A&M next fall and have to decided to go through recruitment. I have heard a MILLION different things about rush, but one of my main concerns is that I am not a legacy to any sorority, nor do I know very many current members of any sororities at A&M. Do I have a chance to get into a good sorority?? Everything is so new to me and any advice would be greatly appreciated
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

A good sorority?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess good wasn't a way to describe it, I just mean like reputable! Just a sorority in general honestly.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdl0199 View Post
I am going to be attending Texas A&M next fall and have to decided to go through recruitment. I have heard a MILLION different things about rush, but one of my main concerns is that I am not a legacy to any sorority, nor do I know very many current members of any sororities at A&M. Do I have a chance to get into a good sorority?? Everything is so new to me and any advice would be greatly appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A good sorority?
Quote:
I guess good wasn't a way to describe it, I just mean like reputable! Just a sorority in general honestly.
Nope, you didn't help yourself here.

If you're that worried about getting into a sorority, you should be happy with any bid. They're all good sororities.

Where is that quote that was recently posted here? Someone put it in their signature... Something about a golden ticket?

Anyway.. go in with an open mind and work on the things that you CAN control (conversation, outfits, etc.). You're not a legacy and you don't know many sisters in the chapters. Oh well. It is what it is.

Everyone has a chance to get a bid.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is NO sorority at A&M that is not "reputable".

Each sorority has their own policies about legacies. It doesn't apply to you, so it is immaterial.

Are you prepared? Do you have all of your recommendations done & submitted? Rush at any SEC school is not something to go into lightly, without preparation.

The quote that AZTheta put into her signature from Robinseggblue is perfect here....

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it. -robinseggblue
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
There is NO sorority at A&M that is not "reputable".

Each sorority has their own policies about legacies. It doesn't apply to you, so it is immaterial.

Are you prepared? Do you have all of your recommendations done & submitted? Rush at any SEC school is not something to go into lightly, without preparation.

The quote that AZTheta put into her signature from Robinseggblue is perfect here....

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it. -robinseggblue
EVERYTHING that thetalady said. Everything. Period. Take it to heart. And for me, robinseggblue nailed it; which is why I took it as my signature. As an alumna, I can say with assurance that she is correct. I have countless friends who are NPC alumnae. Two of my closest friends are Pi Phi and Tri Delta alumnae. We speak the same language regardless of the letters we wear.

"Everyone has a chance to get a bid" - true. Come with the caveat that if you are pulling a train with the entire football team, you sorta shot your own chances right out of the sky. Dig?

oh and ps, for the OP - first rule of holes: when you find yourself in one, stop digging!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-21-2017, 03:36 PM

Honestly, no need to jump on the poor girl. I think she means she wants to be sure she doesn't end up in an underground sorority or one that hazes, as those two things are all over movies and tv.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Come on guys, she rephrased well. I don't see any hole digging here. Let's not act like there aren't sororities across the country which haven't been shut down for a number of reasons. OP mentioned that she doesn't really know anyone in sororities at A&M, so how would she truly know that everything's good and kosher?

But to answer your question, if you go through Panhellenic formal recruitment, all of the sororities will be reputable. 12 are housed in our sorority row area, and you really have a fighting chance at 9 or 10 of them, even if you are not a legacy and don't know anyone.

As for advice, I recommend truly being yourself. Don't try to be someone you're not just so you can get into a "higher" house. Our pledge classes are smaller than a lot of other SEC schools, so I think we bond really well and we all have our own flavor. If you're a horse nerd or a baking freak or want to start an NGO after college or if you're obsessed with makeup and know how to contour and do brows (how some girls work this magic, I will never know) then you should embrace it. You'll often hear that we're Aggies before we're Greeks, and what that means is we strive to love and support each other as Aggies. There are so few of us as a % of the student body that we all hang out together anyways. Just concentrate on being the best person you possibly can.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Many, many pnm's who are not legacies have successful recruitments at Texas A&M. Many others join chapters that are not their legacy. You can't change the fact that you're not a legacy so don't spend energy or worry about how not being a legacy will impact your recruitment. Focus on what you CAN control - be super friendly and outgoing to everyone you come across at orientation and Fish Camp, get at least one rec to every chapter, practice conversation, etc.

And keep your options open. Every single chapter participating in NPC recruitment at Texas A&M is a "good", "reputable" chapter. If you truly want to be in a sorority, you need to be open to being a member of any chapter on campus. Only considering certain chapters will severely limit your chances of getting a bid.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all of the advice!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck to you.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am currently an active in a house at A&M. I think you will find that our Greek community is very welcoming. I can honestly say that I know smart and friendly girls in every single house! As far as rush goes, I think ours is less intimidating and cutthroat than some other Texas schools. However, make sure you get a recommendation for every house. Good luck and gig 'em!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all of the advice!
Please come back and let us know how it went!