GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,728
1 members and 1,727 guests
Overthinker

Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

You will write a great story. I like description that you are wearing a new shirt! Congrats!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Part One: Pre-Recruitment, "Meet The Greeks"

Today was an event officially called Meet the Greeks, but is known more as ‘Your REAL First Impression.’ This is a great event, for the girls who don’t know if they are going to rush make the last minute decision. But, for girls like me who already know they are doing recruitment it is the unofficial first day of recruitment. Its a way to make a good first impression on the different houses! They have already received my letters of recommendation, so this was my first chance to connect the person to the packet. It doesn't hurt you if you don’t get to a few of the booths, but the ones you do talk to count. So here it goes!

I started off talking to Rapunzel, I was a bit nervous about how to approach the booths, since they were out in the quad with people just walking by. The girls also seemed to be deep in conversations with themselves. But, when I walked by Rapunzel they pulled me right over! The conversation was really easy and seemed to just flow. I loved the girls I talked to and they seemed to really like me also. I was happy to be talking to them and I felt like they were happy to be talking to me!

Next I went over to Aurora. I wanted to be sure I talked to Aurora and Cinderella to kind of see what they were like in person! One of my roommates is an Aurora, and I’ve found that she is really sweet and I really like her. Unfortunately I just didn't get the greatest feeling for the girls at the Aurora booth. I just didn't really feel a connection, the girls I talked to the most seemed very disinterested wight he whole thing and talked like a TV host. Over all I thought they were a lot nicer then people made them sound, but I just didn’t get a great feeling leaving them.

Cinderella- After how it went with Aurora I was a bit more nervous to talk to talk to these girls. Everyone at the booth was very put together and they all looked beautiful! When I walked over three girls swarmed me immediately, it was great! These were the best conversations I had all day. We had a lot in common and it just seemed like I really fit with these girls. We commiserated on a certain contestant being sent home from a competition series, expelled on our shared devotion to dance and debated the various pro’s and con’s of wearing white and headbands during recruitment. After today I am super excited to see them at recruitment!

Elsa- This was the house I had dreamed of, wondered about and semi-obbessedly pictured myself as. It had been the picture in my mind since I was a kid, so I couldn't really help it! Thats why I was so disappointed by today, I had walked by them and even stepped up to their booth! But they never paid one bit of attention to me, not only to me but to any of the other girls who were buzzing around them. Over the entire time I was at the Meet, I never saw them do anything but chat animatedly to each other and take selfies. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon, but really disappointing to me and I’m sure to the other hopeful PNMs in attendance. However, I will say that I did have some really good interactions with a group of them earlier in the week when they had had a philanthropy sale booth up on campus.

Merida- It was interesting to see the difference between the Merida’s at my new school and at my old school. At my old school they were all very cool and hip, on top of trends, different types of interesting. They were everywhere and knew everyone. At my new school, even tho every sorority girl has been wearing lettered shirts each day, I hadn't seen a single Merida on campus! The girls at the Meet were very nice and seemed very excited to be meeting the PNM’s around, they just didn't seem all that interesting or interested. Very nice, but I’m not so sure I would fit in.

Belle- While I was speaking to the other chapters, I found my eyes being drawn to the Belles! They all seems to be having a really great time together and with the PNMs around. They were playing music very loud, lots of spice girls, and their booth was very bright. It just looked like a fun place to be! When I went over to talk to them they were all extremely enthusiastic, they were really fun to talk to and seemed like they would be a fun group of girls to be around!

Anna- Unfortunately, when I got to the Anna’s booth I looked at my watch and noticed that my class had just started. I had spent so much time at the Rapunzel and Cinderella booths that I had gone over my allotted hour and a half to spend at the Meet the Greeks! Since I was already at the Anna booth I quickly said hello to the girls, they introduced themselves and we exchanged some quick notes on recruitment excitement and the start of the year. It was a nice little conversation, but I didn't get much of a sense of them and I don’t think they got a sense of me either.

Unfortunately, as I was almost ten minutes late to class when I left the Anna booth, I didn't get a chance to visit the the Snow Whites or Ariels. I was disappointed that my poor time management skills prevented me from checking out these two booths, but I didn't want to miss any more class then I was already missing.

Last edited by Allo; 09-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

More more!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Part Two: Orientation and my Amazing Rho Gamma!

In my past week of being in my new city before recruitment started the weather has been perfect, sunny, pleasant and bright. Then this morning, the morning of orientation I woke up and looked out the window to see a dark grey day, wet but not rainy. On my way to class it felt like I was constantly walking through a mist! Not enough for an umbrella, but enough for it to be both unpleasant and very bad for the fate of my hair. All day I just thought, thats just my luck! Especially seeing as how I have an appointment for airbrush tanning a couple hours before orientation, I don’t know how the tan will every dry in this weather!

Orientation was held in one of the schools big auditoriums, and it was full. Like, really full. The sound of girls talking though out the hall gave the impression that auditorium was not full of girls, but full of twittering birds. All the girls sitting around me were freshmen, it made me feel absolutely ancient! My nerves were building as information began. Most of the actual information they gave I already knew, but then they played a video. It was a video produced my the Panhellenic national council, dare me to move was playing in the background. I was watching this video, when I suddenly realized my eyes were tearing up! I was so moved by the video, the words on the screen, the music, my own excitement and apprehension. I couldn't believe that I was actually crying, and recruitment hadn't even started yet!

I pulled myself together to meet my Rho Gamma’s and my Rho Gamma group! They talked and introduced themselves and we introduced ourselves to each other. I met another girl who was a sophomore also, we commiserated on how incredibly old we both felt. But the highlight of my night was meeting one of my Rho Gammas, for the purpose of this thread I shall call her Tinkerbelle! Tinkerbelle and I are kindred spirits, after everything was over I went up to ask them a couple questions and we hit it off right away! I absolutely love Tinkerbelle and I am secretly hoping that she is a really a Cinderella… and that I might be a Cinderella as well.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Party Three: First Datebook

A chilly morning, I woke up before the sun had risen and I couldn't contain my excitement! It was finally here, the first day of recruitment! They day where I would meet so many wonderful girls and my potential future home! I got to the meeting spot and there were girls clutching coffees and chatting anxiously to one another. I met up with my Rho Gamma group and it was time to begin!

My first house was Aurora, we stood outside their gargantuan house for almost ten minutes until they talked out. In perfect order and togetherness they stepped out two by two, made eye contact with one of us and took us inside. I talked to two great girls! The conversation seemed really easy and it just flowed. We had so many things in common, it was just easy. Then they began their song, and wow! The noise was so great and loud, I almost started to cry! I was to moved by everything happening around me. I didn't think I would, but I really loved Aurora! They were great and I really hope I get to see them again tomorrow.

The Merida and Cinderella houses are right by one another, I felt my heart when I saw the Cinderella house, it was the most beautiful piece of architecture I had ever seen. Then we talked by the Cinderella house and stopped at the Merida house. The whole time they were taking girls into the house I was looking jealously over at the girls being led into the Cinderella house, wondering when it would be my turn. I was double rushed at this house, the other PNM with my was quite a dud. They kept switching us out with a new girl every couple minutes! It made the conversations really choppy and I didn't get to connect with any of the girls. Right before they sat us down for their song, the Vice President of Membership came and talked to me! That was pretty cool. While I wouldn't mind going back to this house, I just didn't get the same feeling I had had at Aurora!

Next it was off to Anna, I didn’t know anything about this house, so I had no idea what to expect! What I didn't expect, was that I would fall in love. I felt so great at Anna, the girls were really cool and totally my style. So many people were complementing me on my outfit. I just felt really at home with them and in their house. Their songs were awesome and their moves were really in synch. I thought the floor might break they jumped so much! I didn't want to go when he party was over, all I wanted to do was to stay in their and keep talking with them. I will be so devastated if Anna isn't on my party list tomorrow, I really hope they liked me as much as I liked them!

We had a break then, Cinderella! I was so excited to be at Cinderella, the girls I talked to there where really great and they had a crazy cute video! I connected really well with the girls I talked to, we had really similar interests. I really really like Cinderella, but after their party I didn't leave with the same glow I had after leaving Anna.

Then Snow White, I was picked up by a girl who looked a little dazed. If that makes any sense. She didn't really seem to be in the moment, I’m sure she was just really tired but it wasn't a great start. The second girl I talked to a lot more, she had rushed as a sophomore as well! It was great to hear her experience. There were a lot of alumni milling around this chapter, they seen to be a smaller group, so alumni were doing things that girls had been doing at the other houses. Like with Merida, I wouldn't mind seeing them tomorrow at all, I just didn't really click with them.

I was really happy to be at Ariel next! They had a really different ways of taking us into the house, it was really fun and made everything seem like a party. Again I met crazy great girls! The conversation was really easy and fun and they seemed to be really happy to be talking to us. Their house was really old and beautiful inside, it almost looked like it came from a story book. Their songs were really fun and cute! I can totally see myself being an Ariel.

I had a bit of a trek to get to Belle from Ariel. The girl who picked me up first was one of the ones I had talked to during Meet the Greeks! She remembered me and the conversation we had then. I really loved the girls I talked to at this house and they had the cutest song and chant of the day! It was really clean and so memorable. I am hoping that I see Belle on my schedule for tomorrow!

I had been looking forward to Rapunzel all day! I was so excited to be there, but unfortunately it did not go great. I was one of the last girls called and I was paired with another PNM. The other girl immediately asked to use the restroom, so the active and I stood awkwardly in the hall outside the bathroom while all the other groupings were spread out outside and in the living room. When the other girl finally came out we were outside for less than ten minutes before the girl brought us into the other room to watch their perform an then to be led out. I only got to talk to one girl and the other PNM I was with was dragging everything down. I was so disappointed! I would like to go to Rapunzel again, but I am unconvinced that I will be invited back.

The last house I went to was Elsa. I was feeling the pain in my feet and starting to get very tired when I made it over to Elsa, but after what had just happened at Rapunzel I was determined to have a goo time at Elsa. Happily, I did! The girls I talked to were till really bubbly even after their long day and they seemed to like me as well! When they got to their performance, it was just as energetic as if it was the first party! They looked like they were having the most fun of the day, they were basically just having a big dance party with each other. I really wanted to join in with them!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Go Anna!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Part Four: Open House Round

I got to the meeting place bright and early! All dolled up and ready to start my day, I waited anxiously to get my schedule. When Tinkerbelle finally gave me my schedule and it read:

Rapunzel
Merida
Elsa
Snow White
Anna

Looking at my schedule I had conflicting feelings, I still had five houses which was good and better than some of the others in my rho gamma group! I had my favorite house of the day, Anna. I had Elsa! I was really really happy to see Elsa on my list. I also had Rapunzel, I was really pleasantly surprised that Rapunzel was on my list seeing as how I was pretty sure I wouldn't get invited back. I was very willing to give Merida another chance and was looking forward to seeing more of Snow White.

While I was pretty happy with my schedule, I was a little shocked that I had been cut by Belle, Cinderella, Ariel and Aurora! I really had thought that I made good connections with them and that they had liked me. I couldn't stop thinking about why they had cut me, what I had done wrong at those parties. Tinkerbelle reminded me that it was an honor to get invited back to the houses I did and that I did really well. The houses that had cut me had a reason to and in the end, if they didn't want me then its their loss! She told me to hold my head high, walk into the parties I did have with a smile on my face and rock it. In the end you only need one.

Rapunzel was up first. Yesterday I had been so disappointed by Rapunzel, I was skeptical about what I would find inside today. I loved all of it! Today I was so impressed by their philanthropy! Their house was really bright and beautiful, it was a house I could see myself in. I adored the girls I talked to today, I feel like I made real connections with them. I am really hoping that I will be returning tomorrow!

Merida came next, I was really sad looking down the street and seeing all the girls lined up outside of Cinderella. But I walked in I held my head high and tried to get a real feel of the house. I liked them a lot more this time! They had a really fantastic philanthropy. I liked the girls and I would be happy to return tomorrow, but I am still not sold on Merida.

Elsa, I couldn't wait to come back today! I was really happy that I still had them on my schedule and I was excited to learn more about their philanthropy. They even made their philanthropy party into a dance party. I was really happy to be there and I enjoyed my conversations with these girls as well!

Snow White was next on my list. I don’t have much to say about Snow White, they were nice and had a really great house, but I just didn't get any impression of them in general. I would be fine returning, but I am not confident with them.

Finally, I got to Anna! I had been waiting all day to go back and when I did I was not disappointed. They were the same as they had been yesterday, and I had the same great feeling. They were the only house that had a personal story connected to their philanthropy and the only ones that sang to us again. I will be absolutely devastated if I don’t return to Anna, right now all I can think about it going back to Anna.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh dear. She said dance party.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
Oh dear. She said dance party.
That was my first thought too
Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's the school in question because that school as 14 sorories.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

and the infamous dance party is round 1. But I'm wondering if you don't mind sharing more details of that party. Maybe it's a more positive thing than some of us are imagining.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

The terminology and schedule identify the school; it's not the "dance party" school.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I KNOW it wasn't the "original" dance party school. I just figured we would get a chuckle out of that type of party being mentioned.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I can give you more details on that party round one! When I said, "dance party" I meant they didn't have a routine. During their songs and chants, most other chapters had a routine they performed with cute moves and lots of jumping. At Elsa, they didn't have a routine! They were literally dancing with each other, all kinds of fun things you would do with your friends at a party rather then in front of PNMs. I even daw one girl doing the shopping cart move! It was really funny and they seemed to just be genuinely having fun with one another rather then performing for us.

The same thing was happening in the second round, they had a room of the house where their philanthropy things were set up, in it they were blasting music so loud you could hear it walking up to the house. When I was brought in there were a ton of actives around the room dancing similarly to how they had during the first round.

Also, if you think you know what school I go to message me! Its fun to hear what you think.

As an aside, things are going very well in my new chapter! I am getting to know my pledge class and we are having a great time. I have an activity with my pledge class tonight! I will be posting my account of skit night when I get back tonight!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

You have such a great attitude, Allo, I'm really proud of you and loving this story so far. Can't wait to see where you end up (and rooting for Anna)