GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,416
0 members and 1,416 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Coloniztion Rush

Hi Everyone! So I'm a third year at a quarter system school and found out that my school is having a new sorority come and they will be doing colonization and rush starting Spring quarter (March). I previously did formal rush but removed myself during the process because I felt I wasn't quite ready to be part of a sorority yet. When I found out about the new sorority coming, I got so excited that I was researched on them a little bit and got in contact with the National Expansion Coordinator to show my interest (I wasn't trying to be stalkerish/creepy, I am genuinely excited), so me and her have been communicating a little bit. I've already searched for colonization threads, but haven't found what I'm looking for so I decided to start my own thread and ask if anyone has any colonization stories that they can share so I can have some type on insight on what I should expect? Thank you so much!

P.S. my username is depressedgrl101 but I'm not depressed lol it was given to me and I have no idea how to change it -_-
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 PM

To get you started:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=colonization

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Google works better as a search tool than the internal search option
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by depressedgrl101 View Post
P.S. my username is depressedgrl101 but I'm not depressed lol it was given to me and I have no idea how to change it -_-
Just FYI, this is the user name that you made up when you joined GC back in Oct 2013.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

So specific wow..Im going to try to change the name but honestly that is not the main thing im trying to get out my post. I would just like someone who went through colonizarion to help me thats it. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a lot of information here on GC about colonies and the process. It varies very little across schools and NPC sororities so you should be able to get good information from existing threads. Google is your friend.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by depressedgrl101 View Post
So specific wow..Im going to try to change the name but honestly that is not the main thing im trying to get out my post. I would just like someone who went through colonizarion to help me thats it. Thanks.
You probably shouldn't go on a forum asking for advice and then get angry when someone makes note of the fact that you chose your own weird username. Depression is nothing to make light of by using as a username. Try not telling the posters on here how they should and should not help you. You came here looking for advice and not the other way around.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM

No one gives a poop about your username name unless you're perping. I probably should change mine as I haven't had a rolling rock since it left for the swamps of Jersey. But anyway, you may have forgotten you signed up last year but this is your username you created, no one "gave" it to you. Contact John Hammell if you want to change it (he's the site admin) or create a new account.

Also, contrary to previous posts, colonizations do vary from school to school and group to group.

Last edited by 33girl; 02-06-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

You will sign up for interviews with the colonization team. Some will be older women and some younger. We don't know which you will get. Dress as for job interview. If you pass that stage you will be invited to a pref party. You may or may not get a bid after that event.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The link that KSUViolet offered is a terrific one. She is, generally, a very helpful person on GC so follow where that thread leads you.

I wish you the best of luck. Everyone here is honestly trying to help. You might want to take a deep breath and not be so quick to take offense. It's a good life skill to have. Give folks the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

When a new sorority colonized on my campus recently they had reps on campus for a few weeks prior to the actual recruitment to answer questions and make arrangements for the actual event. I would keep an eye out for social media about it as well. They had
interviews as described above as well as two open events - one of which showcased the sororities philanthropy. They culminated the process with a Bid Day much like formal rush.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! Everything should be taking place within the next month or even sooner so i'll be posting my experience
Old 02-11-2015, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

By the way, what specific things do they look for when recruiting girls for a colony?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

The colonization teams generally look for The same qualities that established chapters are looking for in their new members, however, with a colony there is a need to have the membership dynamics spread over all 4 classes, so that the colony has basically a similar make up of an established chapter.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

And how does gpa come into play with colonization? Like do they use cum or quarterly? Ive been hearing from people that new sororities trying to colonize use Panhellenic's lowest gpa while another friend of mine said that because they are a new sorority they won't have a set gpa since they are trying to colonize. Any advice?