GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 2,280
1 members and 2,279 guests
John

Old 08-04-2004, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe, there should be a distinction here.

There is a difference between being a chair Advisor and Being The Advisor for the total Chapter.

The reason for the time line to become The Advisor is the fact of being to close to the Chapter and not being unbiased.

Going to another Chapter is a different animal so you can advise with out Sisterly bias.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2004, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that you should contact your National headquarters and find out if you are qualified. Even though this is not your chapter, they might have a rule about an advisor's age or length of time out of college.

When my pledge sister went to graduate school where we had a chapter, National informed her that she had to be an alumna for two years before she could be an advisor. She was told that she could help them out in other ways. This was quite a few years ago so the policy might be different now.

I'm not really sure if the sisters would have a problem being told what to do by someone who is 23.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shadowstar
KD generally says you have to be out of college for i think 2 years before you can be on an advisory board, but in my case that was waived because it wasn't my chapter I was going to be advising and because it was a recolonzied chapter and they essentially needed to get a board together for the chapter. I'm also in grad school, and it can take up a good amount of time, but I've found I can juggle pretty well. I'm the Panhellenic advisor, so it's not as much a strain on my time as it would be if I was the chairperson or the Membership advisor or something like that. So far I've found that being fairly close in age to the chapter members has actually been a benefit - because the collegiate experience was recent for me, I can relate well to the chapter members, but because I am an alum, there is that respect there as well. It may be a tricky balance but so far it's worked, and I think it's a great experience!
Old 08-04-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter I advise used to not have an adviser. Well I think that technically we did, but we may as well have not had her. It was a bad time in our history. Then we had help from our International to find us an adviser and some willing alumnae to help out the chapter. I am happy to say that our Alumnae Advisory Committee is up to 11 members! I think it is great that you want to volunteer. Im sure if you contact your (Inter)National HQ they may be able to point you in the right direction and possibly give you some names of local alumane that may be willing to help you out. I'm the Chapter Adviser for my Chapter and it is a lot of work. Even with 10 other amazing women! There is NO WAY I could advise an entire chapter on everything!

I know AOII divides thier schools into Networks. I don't know if you could maybe contact the Network person that handles all of the chapters reports, etc. But she will probably be so happy you contacted her! I think that if someone not from a local chapter contacted me, and wanted to volunteer, I would take them up on thier generous offer!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I talked with someone from HQ today just to get all this clarified. There is NO statute of limitations. If I wanted to advise my chapter the day after I graduated--technically, there's nothing stopping me. How much a young advisory board member gets to do, however, is based on the local situation. A chapter with lots of alumnae support will probably not allow a young alumna to do much--but one that's hurting for help will obviously let you do more. I explained my situation, and they, being familar with the chapter in question, provided me with the advice I really needed.

Decisions about who can advise a chapter come from the LOCAL level, not National.

This is all a moot point, however, because I was offered a teaching assistantship for second semester. This by itself wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but a few weeks ago, I got picked up for a Residential Life position (with housing) that I'm very excited about--and would probably be a conflict of interest in being a chapter advisor. With that, and working at the architecture firm, editing our journal, applying for jobs, writing a thesis, and just having a life--I figured I would rather have positions that paid me, especially in the form of tuition credits and housing.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Congratulations on your teaching assistantship - what an honour!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Basically, if a Chapter has NO Advisor, and you are from a different Chapter, there will and can be exceptions made.

As far as your own Chapter, that is a no no. To close to present Members.

Ask, it might just work!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-07-2004, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Basically, if a Chapter has NO Advisor, and you are from a different Chapter, there will and can be exceptions made.

As far as your own Chapter, that is a no no. To close to present Members.

Ask, it might just work!
Advising my chapter was never on my radar, as indicated at least 4 times in this thread. It is 3 hours away, and traveling to RI once a week is just not doable. Plus, I know it would be hard when I know all of the girls in the house.

But, as I stated earlier--I was just offered two positions, and one of those will make being a Chapter Advisor a conflict of interest. As I also wrote earlier, I had a discussion with someone from HQ, and they answered the questions I had to my satisfaction.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Munchkin, kuddos to you!

I read so many post on so many threads, it is some times hard to keep up with everything!

Sorry if you find this discerning! Love your sig off to the left.!

Good for you for caring anyway!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-07-2004, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Congratulations on the res life and teaching assistant jobs! You will be one busy woman!