GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,163
0 members and 2,163 guests
No Members online

Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Blondie's Retro Rush Story at Southern Private University

I was recently prompted by Benzgirl to post a retro-recruitment thread, and since this is the time of year where there is a bit of a lull on that front, I decided to oblige. I will post in real time... that is, party details each evening, and learning of my invitations the following morning. Rush at my school was 4 consecutive days, with Bid Day on the 5th. Here we go....

So… I went to a smallish southern school with a competitive rush... and since it was the early 90s it was known as “rush” and I was known as a “rushee.” I didn’t find the term offensive in the least, and I will use them both here. Recs were a must, which I dutifully obtained.

Bids were handed out once a year at our school, right after Fall Formal Recruitment, which occurred the week before classes started. Because of some extenuating circumstances, I was not able to be on campus in time for Rush my freshman year. While slightly disappointed about that, I thought that it could give me a year to get settled, meet some people, and go through my sophomore year. Yeah… somehow I missed that part about it being harder to get a bid as a sophomore!!

I knew several other sophomores who were going through Rush, including my roommate Melissa and her friend Amy. There was also “Courtney,” who had gone through as a freshman with her mind set to one specific chapter. When that chapter cut her early on, she dropped out. Now she was going back through, again with the intention of joining that one specific chapter.

Our campus had 10 sororities, and we would be attending parties of 10, then 6, then 4 with a Pref Night of 3.

Everyone says not to go in with pre-conceived notions… that was kind of hard at our school where close to 50% of the women were Greek, and you felt the presence everywhere. Would my early opinions hold true? Time would tell…

Here are the chapters on our campus, in no particular order, named for some of my favorite TV characters of the 80s.
Laverne DeFazio
Daisy Duke
Mallory Keaton
Vanessa Huxtable
Carol Seaver
Tootie Ramsey
Florence Jean Castleberry (“Flo”)
Louise ("Weezy") Jefferson
Chrissy Snow
Winnie Cooper

And the chapters in alphabetical order:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha
Old 04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

im so excited... more more more

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

i thought i knew what school this was, until i read the list of sororities. I can't wait to see what happens
Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you are right on the school Classic Beauty. I think it is your school.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Weezy, Go Weezy.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Vanessa Huxtable and Winnie Cooper!
Sidenote: Danica McKellar is an ADPi!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I so needed a thread like this! (excellent group of sororities to choose from)
Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Mel, Kiss My Grits! (one of the best lines on TV EVER!)
Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes! I'm so in the mood for another Retro Rush thread.

Blondie isn't in the sorority I thought she was though....it isn't listed.

ETA: Please don't tell me which one she's in, if you know. I love a surprise. tx

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 1 (10 Party Day)

Round 1 was a blistery hot August day of over 100 degrees. I wore chambray colored shorts, a cute top, and Cole Hans. Looking around, this was pretty standard fare, except that some girls had on casual wrap skirts. I however, was quite familiar with the beating of the wrap skirt and keeping it closed. No way was I going to flash a bunch of sorority girls that I hoped to get a bid from!

We were lined up alphabetically in our Rush groups to go in each house… I was in the middle of our pack. The doors swung open, and then lots of clapping and singing. What had I gotten myself into??? Well, let the fun times begin…

Daisy Duke- my neighbor Michelle from freshman year was a Daisy Duke and she picked me up here. Michelle was just one of those people that you loved being around... and she loved Daisy Duke. She wore Daisy Duke attire almost every day, and Daisy Duke had been plastered all over her dorm room. What stands out in my mind about the Daisy Duke party was that they showed one of those newfangled things called a “video” whereas every other house that day had just done a slide slow. You could tell that the Daisy Dukes really had a lot of fun together and that they were a close knit group. This house was definitely one of my favorites going in.

Chrissy Snow- It was no secret on our campus that the Chrissy Snows were struggling. I knew a few Chrissies from classes and the dorm, and while nice, I never really clicked with them from a personality standpoint. Their chapter size was decreasing year by year, and now only had about 1/3 the number as everyone else. However, when we went into their house, it felt so full! There were people everywhere… alums and actives… and the girl that I was paired with was great! She was so easy to talk to and we got along quite well. But, that is when I was introduced to the bait and switch concept of bringing in actives from a nearby chapter. Hmmm… how are we supposed to know what a chapter is about if we don’t really met the girls in it?

Vanessa Huxtable- this was a chapter that was very well regarded on our campus, and going into Rush this was a house that I was really interested in. I walked in fully expecting to like everything about Vanessa, but then almost went into convulsions the minute I got in the door. You see… they had decided to paint their house over the summer… Blood Red. And with a sponge paint motif. It really looked like someone had smeared blood All Over Their Walls. The girl I was paired with was probably nice, however I honestly can’t remember because I kept looking around for the source of all the bleeding! I started entertaining myself with Horror Movie names, incorporating Vanessa Huxtable in the title…

Tootie - I didn’t really know any of the Tooties very well freshman year, but certainly was familiar with their rep on campus as a chapter known for partying perhaps a wee too much. I was no teetotaler, but was looking for a little bit more in a sisterhood than a bunch of drunk-fests. Walking into their house was a blast, though… they had a very catchy tune (that I sang over and over all day in my head!!), a cute skit, and the active that I was paired with was great! So far today, this girl and house had been one of the best matches for me, and nothing so far gave any credence to the rep I had heard. What a fun surprise that I liked this house so much!

Weezy Jefferson- This was one of the two houses on campus known for having super wealthy members, and in fact was the only house that I was asked what my father does for a living. Hmmm… somehow I was pretty sure that “accountant” was going to be a wrong answer….

Florence Jean Castleberry- So… the Flos on my campus had only been around for 2 years. They were a little bit smaller than the other houses as they continued to build their chapter. The Flos and the Chrissy Snows were known to quietly do COB, which was not seen as a positive thing on my campus at that time. My naïve impression prior to Rush was that the Flos might be slightly desparate, so when I could not immediately find someone to write me a rec, I didn’t worry. It was the “chapter’s responsibility” to find a rec for me, right? Well, imagine my surprise to go to their party and really have a great time! They put on a very classy skit, the actives I was paired with were super nice and I really enjoyed my time at Flo’s. This wasn’t a desperate chapter- they were great! Wait! Oh, no, the rec! Oh, youthful arrogance! Why hadn't I bothered to get that rec?? Hmm… would my strategy work or come back to haunt me?

Laverne DeFazio- I didn’t really know any Laverne’s personally, though I had seen quite a few of them in my dorm Freshman year. This was not a group that I expected to mesh with, and my initial thoughts proved true. The song they sang as we walked in talked about their glamorous lives, but I am personally of the belief that if you have to tell me how glamorous you are, then it may not be as true as you hope. In addition, they took each of us by a bulletin board to show us the Lavernes who were cheerleaders for the local NFL team. I think I was supposed to be impressed by that, but I really just wanted to giggle. Looking around the room, virtually all of the actives had spent just a wee too much of their summer vacation at the tanning salon. Seeing as how my pasty-white skin catches on fire with too much time in the sun… well, this just wouldn’t be the house for me.

Carol Seaver- My best friend was a Carol Seaver. She picked me up the second I walked in the door, and proceeded to say “you are going to meet everyone in the chapter today.” And I did. And boy howdy did my cheeks hurt after that party from smiling so much as I was introduced to so many of her sisters. Whereas in the other houses we sat politely in chairs, and the actives came and bumped, at Carol Seaver everyone stood up and it was more like a cocktail party. Only without the cocktails.

Mallory Keaton- this was one of the top houses on campus. I did know a couple of Mallories and they were all super nice and very classy. Walking into Mallory’s house was a bit different, though. All the other chapters had done upbeat songs, but the Mallories were singing a much slower song. I found that I was unintentionally walking to the beat, and this kept causing me to trip since it was so slow. I loved the Mallories that I met and had a good time in their house. But… since I didn’t have a trust fund, I was pretty sure that my time with Mallory was going to be limited.

Winnie Cooper- This was my last house of the day, so my brain was pretty much mush by then. I do remember that there was a lot of spirited clapping and screaming every time someone said “Winnie Cooper.”

“Back in the day” there was no ranking to do by us rushees. We were to go back to the dorm, get some sleep, and at 7:00am return to our Rho Chi groups to get the list of houses that had invited us back. We would then choose from that list to return to 6 houses that evening.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

For a rush that happened in the early 90s, you sure remember a lot of detail. I actually think that about all of the retro rush threads. When I think about my rush from 2004, my mind kinda goes blank. I remember very little about what happened even in ADPi's parties. I looked at my old recruitment thread and thought, "oh yeah! I forgot that happened."
Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Exciting!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the detail in this rush thread!!!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley21 View Post
For a rush that happened in the early 90s, you sure remember a lot of detail. I actually think that about all of the retro rush threads. When I think about my rush from 2004, my mind kinda goes blank. I remember very little about what happened even in ADPi's parties. I looked at my old recruitment thread and thought, "oh yeah! I forgot that happened."
My rush was (mumble, mumble, mumble) years ago, but since we kept lots and lots of notes (it lasted over a month!), most of it is still fresh to me. Plus, reading all of these retro threads help you remember, "Oh, yeah, that XYZ really was obnoxious!" and things like that. I really don't know how someone can make up her mind in five days, though! Or maybe it's because I had a scholarship to another school where there wasn't Alpha Delta Pi - occasionally I do think about the What If...

But continue on, Blondie! Just don't be a tease and not tell us the codes!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah this is awesome. I can't wait to read more!