GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,148
1 members and 1,147 guests
Low D Flat

Old 12-26-2013, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaquestion? View Post
Hi, I'm looking to buy my girlfriend, who is in a sorority, pearls. I've heard that they mean something similar to a promise ring. But I've seen in a few places that most of the time they are just a single pearl on a necklace. Would a string of pearls mean the same thing?
That is so adorable. It can be a single pearl or a whole string of it what is important is the thought of giving your gf a present at precious as this. Way to go!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
When I got mine my husband said I had reached the age where I should wear pearls. Take that for what it's worth, but he's no longer my husband
Ouch...we give our daughters a nice string of pearls for their 13th birthday. It may be a bit traditional but it has become our tradition.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the first time I am hearing too. There is something you learn daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I've never heard of that. However, an actual string of real pearls is pretty expensive so I think by default there is a certain permanence associated with them and the fact that they are a gift from a boyfriend. It's not a gift to be received willy-nilly no matter the relationship.

When I got mine my husband said I had reached the age where I should wear pearls. Take that for what it's worth, but he's no longer my husband
Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I agree about the Southern part. What's interesting to me though, though, is the idea that husbands get them for their wives. In my experience, girls always got them from their parents or grandparents, or maybe from their godparents, before they were married—usually when in college.
My mom is from the South which may explain why I grew up with the thought that my first strand of pearls would be a "womanhood" thing. I got my first strand when I graduated college. I got my second strand as a present after becoming a Delta.

I've never heard the term "getting pearled" but I hope it went well for the OP.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I was presented a lavalier from my boyfriend. It had the letters on it in gold and is similar to a promise ring. It was an amazing gift, as I'm sure a string of pearls would be!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΩΖΘ View Post
I was presented a lavalier from my boyfriend. It had the letters on it in gold and is similar to a promise ring. It was an amazing gift, as I'm sure a string of pearls would be!
Reread the thread. It is not a string of pearls he wants, it's a single pearl on a chain.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who dated (and then married) my GDI boyfriend AND Went to a 'southern' school (kentucky), I was pearled. At UK it is the equivalent of the lavalier for a frat boy. There really was no middle ground, after the pearl it would go straight to the engagement so I guess it could be either equivalent of the lavaliere or being 'pinned'.

It is a single pearl, hence the term "she got her pearl". Full strands of pearls are something your parents or other family member buys for you.

I still have it (22 years later) and wear it regularly. It's the first piece of jewelry my now husband gave me.
Faith
That I may walk truly in the light of the Flame."
Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What's interesting to me though, though, is the idea that husbands get them for their wives.
Right, that's strange to me, too. I got them from my parents when I graduated from 8th grade. I could see a husband getting her more fancy, elaborate ones, but "reaching an age to wear pearls" to me says teens, either the start of high school or Sweet 16.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably a leftover from the 1920's or a hopeful faux Marti-Gras moment...