GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,274
5 members and 1,269 guests
John, MethrenLusia, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Also good luck with rushing again. You never know if someone from USC has read your post.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Nothing like a non-Greek lecturing Greeks on the meaning of being Greek. *sigh* I really thought you showed a lot of maturity and thoughtfulness when you wrote about your recruitment experience. Now I can see where you’re really coming from and it isn’t pretty.

You were a sophomore when you rushed after a year of observing what Greek life was all about at USC. You had an entire year to evaluate it and you still went through recruitment because you wanted to join. Sisters didn’t just start walking down the row in miniskirts. They didn’t just start having philanthropy events that don’t meet your exacting expectations. They didn’t just start being interested in having the best social life, looking good and hanging out with the hottest guys. You knew that going into recruitment. You wanted that.

How dare you have the audacity to tell sorority members that their behavior doesn’t represent the ideals of their organizations and that they don’t have a “true” sisterhood? You are not privy to any group’s inner workings. You do not know anything about secrets, rituals and anything else that happens inside the chapters. You’re not there when an entire group of sisters stays up all night to comfort a girl through a nasty breakup. You’re not there to support the sister who just lost her father to cancer. You’re not there to make the late night run for frozen yogurt because you’ve all been studying until your brains are about to seep out of your ears and yogurt is the only antidote. How dare you presume anything about anyone’s sisterhood? You know nothing.

You had a chance to be Greek and make a difference from the inside out. You were offered a bid to the struggling chapter and chose not to accept it. You are actually part of the problem.

You don’t really want to start a local. What you really want is to start an interest group with the expectation that some magical NPC group will come in and scoop you up and give you some kind of shiny new start and eliminate the stigma that you feel you’d have as a member of those struggling groups. Christ on a cracker with cream cheese on top, you’re even looking at potential groups. Do you really think an NPC group is going to come in and spend millions of dollars and man hours to establish a chapter on a campus like yours simply because you perceive yourself to be somehow more virtuous than those awful sorority girls you sought to join just a few months ago? Good luck with that.
Amen!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessamy View Post
Also good luck with rushing again. You never know if someone from USC has read your post.
Oh, at this point-I'm pretty sure someone from USC already has. I was thinking a certain regular poster on here was from a USC chapter but, I could be wrong-so, I won't say who. If so, I hope she can talk sense into this person because her "better than them" attitude is not going to make things any better.

I generally don't read Barbie's Rush comments but, it was pretty damn on point. I have to say BR had a lot of great things to say. OP, you could learn a lot from being on this site.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well done, Ms. B_R. You articulated the thoughts that have been spinning in my brain since the onset of this thread.

AOIIAngel: jinx! you buy ME a coke (this Sunday? )
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nothing like a non-Greek lecturing Greeks on the meaning of being Greek. *sigh* I really thought you showed a lot of maturity and thoughtfulness when you wrote about your recruitment experience. Now I can see where you’re really coming from and it isn’t pretty.

You were a sophomore when you rushed after a year of observing what Greek life was all about at USC. You had an entire year to evaluate it and you still went through recruitment because you wanted to join. Sisters didn’t just start walking down the row in miniskirts. They didn’t just start having philanthropy events that don’t meet your exacting expectations. They didn’t just start being interested in having the best social life, looking good and hanging out with the hottest guys. You knew that going into recruitment. You wanted that.

How dare you have the audacity to tell sorority members that their behavior doesn’t represent the ideals of their organizations and that they don’t have a “true” sisterhood? You are not privy to any group’s inner workings. You do not know anything about secrets, rituals and anything else that happens inside the chapters. You’re not there when an entire group of sisters stays up all night to comfort a girl through a nasty breakup. You’re not there to support the sister who just lost her father to cancer. You’re not there to make the late night run for frozen yogurt because you’ve all been studying until your brains are about to seep out of your ears and yogurt is the only antidote. How dare you presume anything about anyone’s sisterhood? You know nothing.

You had a chance to be Greek and make a difference from the inside out. You were offered a bid to the struggling chapter and chose not to accept it. You are actually part of the problem.

You don’t really want to start a local. What you really want is to start an interest group with the expectation that some magical NPC group will come in and scoop you up and give you some kind of shiny new start and eliminate the stigma that you feel you’d have as a member of those struggling groups. Christ on a cracker with cream cheese on top, you’re even looking at potential groups. Do you really think an NPC group is going to come in and spend millions of dollars and man hours to establish a chapter on a campus like yours simply because you perceive yourself to be somehow more virtuous than those awful sorority girls you sought to join just a few months ago? Good luck with that.
...one of the best posts I've seen in a longgggg time.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello y'all!

This is my first (well ok second) post, and please forgive me for any GC faux pas (and forgive my grammar, WRIT140 still causes nightmares. Any SC posters here would know what I mean).

I have to admit I have been just a lurker on this site as often the wisdom, experience and wit of many of the regular posters here usually cover everything that needs to be, or should be said on many issues, both Greek-related and life in general. And a lot of the things, and advice given, has been well put. Especially the post by Barbie's Rush.

[This is going to be a long one, but I felt I needed to write it. Feel free to PM me with any further questions]

However having been been a part of The Row over the last few years, I feel that unless you are a part of it, you really can't comment accurately on it. This goes not only for the Non-SC posters, but also the OP. And even if you are an SC Greek, oftentimes there is so much rumor and trash-talking that it may be a waste of breathe. SC, and The Row in particular, really is its own beast for better or for worse.

[I don't know which GCers are Trojans, so hopefully I have not tread on anyone's toes. If I did, I am sorry]

That being the said, the OP does make some good points with the way Row culture has been, especially over the last year. I know this forum generally looks down on others that usually have the "who are in the top tier" mentality (and for good reason).

While that sort of thing happens at every school, and always has, I feel that in the last 2 years the existence of websites such as Total Frat Move or CollegeACB (and before that Juicy Campus) has really skewed some of the SC Panhellenic, and IFC spirit of all GLOs (fyi, at SC there is a heavy tendency by The Row to not consider the non-PHC/IFC GLOs as Greeks, even if on The Row itself there are a Business and an Asian fraternity (and the Engineering fraternity is housed just off of it). I do admit I am also guilty of thinking this way. When I, and most people, say Greek at USC, they really do mean just The Row, and then just the PHC and IFC houses)

For the most part, Greeks are wonderful people, many are campus leaders, and do exceptional things for the community. You only have to see the accomplishments at the end of the year Greek Awards to really be in awe of all the things the SC Greek community gets done for being only 20% of the total school population.

But then again there is a whole other side of the Greek community, the 'Its Thursday Night/Lets Get Trashed at the 90' side (9-0 is the local bar at the end of The Row, very Greek heavy presence). Ask any person on The Row the following questions and it isn't a surprise which is more readily answered: 'Name the top 5 highest Sorority GPAs' or 'Name the top Tier fraternities'

The KS email, and then the Rooftop Scandal while isolated incidents has caused an uglier side of The Row to be exposed. Even if it were just 3 individuals' actions, they managed to bring the SC Greek system into disrepute
(I have no idea what UCLA's Greek life is reaction to the female student involved who was is a member of a GLO over there)
You don't even need to go on an awful site like CollegeACB to see the bad side, the comments section alone in the Daily Trojan's coverage of all the incidents are pretty embarrassing for our community. (Assuming those bad hats posting comments truly are Greeks). [PM if you would like links to the DT articles]
Particularly worrying is the number of people who said: "Well its obviously this trashy thing happened she is in XYZ, they're all sluts" The XYZ sorority having their philanthropy event tarnished by a girl who not only does not go to USC, but also is not even in the same sorority at UCLA. I really do hope their 2011 recruitment is not affected too unduly by this (they are very established so I really doubt it has done any long-term harm)
What I really don't understand is how some have said the guy should be the Fraternity Man of the Year, because he is so 'Fratty' yet at the same time those same people label the girl as a trashy slut. This is the mentality that was behind why people sent the KS email around. Not because it was disgusting, because people thought it was funny.

Because of the scandals bringing the school into disrepute the administrators have put restrictions on The Row. People are clamoring with "WTF how can I party on Thursday night???!!! @#$%".
Rather than "Well now I have time to study during the week, and I will not overreact because Friday night and Saturday night registered parties are still allowed". Do not get me started on the fact that Los Angeles is one of the most vibrant cities in the world. Not being able to party on The Row on a Thursday night is NOT the sign of the apocalypse.

There have been accusations that our new President Nikias, who is Independent, is very Anti-Greek, and how it was better when President Sample was in office. Steven Sample is a brother of Beta Theta Pi, and the current generation of SC Greeks, may not realize that Sample himself removed Beta's chapter at SC for Risk Management issues.

There is a certain attitude encouraged by fans of TFM-like website, seems to have really taken the whole GDI v The Row divide to a new level at SC. I do know some Greeks who would disparage the OP for being a GDI, regardless of being in a professional fraternity. And yes there are some in our community who use the term GDI like a racial slur.
The influence of TFM is also tangible as up until recently I had never heard of the, apparently Southern, tradition of girls decorating coolers for their Formal dates, and the fad seems to have started for the various Formals last weekend.

I think the most emblematic of the Row's culture of SC is in this exchange between girls and guys when they first meet, not just at parties, but also in class:

"Hi, what's your name? I'm Susie Sorority/Frank Fraternity. What house are you in?" I have noticed this since I was a freshman.

That second question is often that. The fact that someone may be independent often doesn't even cross a Greek person's mind. Let alone wonder what the other person's major is. The initial mutual attraction many times is the fact that two people are Greek, rather than perhaps sharing the same interests.

I have to admit I am abroad this semester, and my knowledge of the backlash of what is happening at SC is from friends back at my house at SC, as well as Facebook etc, so it may all very well be overblown. But I can say last week, when my lab partner saw my tshirt with USC across the front, she asked me: "isn't that the school where the fratboy had sex with that slut on the roof of a building?"
and not: "isn't that the school which has been improving every year academically, and in a variety of research fields"

While I am proud to be Greek as USC, and I know first hand how good we can be (I have been involved in both on-campus groups and Greek honor societies), I feel that a certain, highly visible, minority is giving us a very bad name. And would explain how the OP's opinion of The Row has been clouded. There certainly is room for improvement in the Panhellenic/IFC sense, I remember as a freshman there was more of a 'No Matter the Letter, Greeks Do It Better' attitude rather than the 'Top Tier v Bottom Tier' debate. As well as improving relations with the non-Row population and administrators.
I have no doubt that The Row will rally around each other positively, and we will come back twice as exceptional.

Fight On,

28StGreek

PS: Sorry for the long ramble, state-of-the-row-esque speech, but it is a lot more fun than studying for a climate science midterm!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
Hello y'all!

This is my first (well ok second) post, and please forgive me for any GC faux pas (and forgive my grammar, WRIT140 still causes nightmares. Any SC posters here would know what I mean).

I have to admit I have been just a lurker on this site as often the wisdom, experience and wit of many of the regular posters here usually cover everything that needs to be, or should be said on many issues, both Greek-related and life in general. And a lot of the things, and advice given, has been well put. Especially the post by Barbie's Rush.

[This is going to be a long one, but I felt I needed to write it. Feel free to PM me with any further questions]

However having been been a part of The Row over the last few years, I feel that unless you are a part of it, you really can't comment accurately on it. This goes not only for the Non-SC posters, but also the OP. And even if you are an SC Greek, oftentimes there is so much rumor and trash-talking that it may be a waste of breathe. SC, and The Row in particular, really is its own beast for better or for worse.

[I don't know which GCers are Trojans, so hopefully I have not tread on anyone's toes. If I did, I am sorry]

That being the said, the OP does make some good points with the way Row culture has been, especially over the last year. I know this forum generally looks down on others that usually have the "who are in the top tier" mentality (and for good reason).

While that sort of thing happens at every school, and always has, I feel that in the last 2 years the existence of websites such as Total Frat Move or CollegeACB (and before that Juicy Campus) has really skewed some of the SC Panhellenic, and IFC spirit of all GLOs (fyi, at SC there is a heavy tendency by The Row to not consider the non-PHC/IFC GLOs as Greeks, even if on The Row itself there are a Business and an Asian fraternity (and the Engineering fraternity is housed just off of it). I do admit I am also guilty of thinking this way. When I, and most people, say Greek at USC, they really do mean just The Row, and then just the PHC and IFC houses)

For the most part, Greeks are wonderful people, many are campus leaders, and do exceptional things for the community. You only have to see the accomplishments at the end of the year Greek Awards to really be in awe of all the things the SC Greek community gets done for being only 20% of the total school population.

But then again there is a whole other side of the Greek community, the 'Its Thursday Night/Lets Get Trashed at the 90' side (9-0 is the local bar at the end of The Row, very Greek heavy presence). Ask any person on The Row the following questions and it isn't a surprise which is more readily answered: 'Name the top 5 highest Sorority GPAs' or 'Name the top Tier fraternities'

The KS email, and then the Rooftop Scandal while isolated incidents has caused an uglier side of The Row to be exposed. Even if it were just 3 individuals' actions, they managed to bring the SC Greek system into disrepute
(I have no idea what UCLA's Greek life is reaction to the female student involved who was is a member of a GLO over there)
You don't even need to go on an awful site like CollegeACB to see the bad side, the comments section alone in the Daily Trojan's coverage of all the incidents are pretty embarrassing for our community. (Assuming those bad hats posting comments truly are Greeks). [PM if you would like links to the DT articles]
Particularly worrying is the number of people who said: "Well its obviously this trashy thing happened she is in XYZ, they're all sluts" The XYZ sorority having their philanthropy event tarnished by a girl who not only does not go to USC, but also is not even in the same sorority at UCLA. I really do hope their 2011 recruitment is not affected too unduly by this (they are very established so I really doubt it has done any long-term harm)
What I really don't understand is how some have said the guy should be the Fraternity Man of the Year, because he is so 'Fratty' yet at the same time those same people label the girl as a trashy slut. This is the mentality that was behind why people sent the KS email around. Not because it was disgusting, because people thought it was funny.

Because of the scandals bringing the school into disrepute the administrators have put restrictions on The Row. People are clamoring with "WTF how can I party on Thursday night???!!! @#$%".
Rather than "Well now I have time to study during the week, and I will not overreact because Friday night and Saturday night registered parties are still allowed". Do not get me started on the fact that Los Angeles is one of the most vibrant cities in the world. Not being able to party on The Row on a Thursday night is NOT the sign of the apocalypse.

There have been accusations that our new President Nikias, who is Independent, is very Anti-Greek, and how it was better when President Sample was in office. Steven Sample is a brother of Beta Theta Pi, and the current generation of SC Greeks, may not realize that Sample himself removed Beta's chapter at SC for Risk Management issues.

There is a certain attitude encouraged by fans of TFM-like website, seems to have really taken the whole GDI v The Row divide to a new level at SC. I do know some Greeks who would disparage the OP for being a GDI, regardless of being in a professional fraternity. And yes there are some in our community who use the term GDI like a racial slur.
The influence of TFM is also tangible as up until recently I had never heard of the, apparently Southern, tradition of girls decorating coolers for their Formal dates, and the fad seems to have started for the various Formals last weekend.

I think the most emblematic of the Row's culture of SC is in this exchange between girls and guys when they first meet, not just at parties, but also in class:

"Hi, what's your name? I'm Susie Sorority/Frank Fraternity. What house are you in?" I have noticed this since I was a freshman.

That second question is often that. The fact that someone may be independent often doesn't even cross a Greek person's mind. Let alone wonder what the other person's major is. The initial mutual attraction many times is the fact that two people are Greek, rather than perhaps sharing the same interests.

I have to admit I am abroad this semester, and my knowledge of the backlash of what is happening at SC is from friends back at my house at SC, as well as Facebook etc, so it may all very well be overblown. But I can say last week, when my lab partner saw my tshirt with USC across the front, she asked me: "isn't that the school where the fratboy had sex with that slut on the roof of a building?"
and not: "isn't that the school which has been improving every year academically, and in a variety of research fields"

While I am proud to be Greek as USC, and I know first hand how good we can be (I have been involved in both on-campus groups and Greek honor societies), I feel that a certain, highly visible, minority is giving us a very bad name. And would explain how the OP's opinion of The Row has been clouded. There certainly is room for improvement in the Panhellenic/IFC sense, I remember as a freshman there was more of a 'No Matter the Letter, Greeks Do It Better' attitude rather than the 'Top Tier v Bottom Tier' debate. As well as improving relations with the non-Row population and administrators.
I have no doubt that The Row will rally around each other positively, and we will come back twice as exceptional.

Fight On,

28StGreek

PS: Sorry for the long ramble, state-of-the-row-esque speech, but it is a lot more fun than studying for a climate science midterm!
Thanks for your USC perspective. But what you describe really isn't different from the climate at any school with an old, established and strong Greek life. That's the way it has been forever. All of my relatives who have been Greek at similar schools over the decades have the same stories to tell. But now the internet makes it much easier to be bitchy and spread gossip far beyond the confines of a Greek row. We need to do a better job of taking care of our own, especially when people are acting inappropriately and irresponsibly with our image. Because it affects everyone, not just a particular chapter at a specific school because the world only wants to read about the bad stuff.

Every year we have at least one person who has been unhappy with their recruitment experience come here to tell us how horrible we are (with most of their "expertise" based on gossip, innuendo and the fact that they didn't get the bid they wanted.) We get tired of getting served sour grapes, but we have to take care not to provide the fertilizer that grows them in the first place.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome. And you are right. I do appreciate it is not a unique circumstance, and can be seen across many campuses. I just thought I should point out that the OP's view was not 100% unfounded.

That being said, upon reflection she really did lose credibility not accepting her bid. I am pretty sure that specific house would make Quota every year in recent times if girls actually turned up on bid night.

And the advice has already been given if the OP, and girls who were in her situation who didn't stick with their bids/or complete recruitment, they really could make a difference with that particular house. And the saying goes that their sisterhood really is one of the strongest, so Barbie's Rush, you probably are right in that the OP was just one of the unhappy with their recruitment cases.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your USC perspective. But what you describe really isn't different from the climate at any school with an old, established and strong Greek life.
Or really, many campus communities, not even just those with an old, established Greek life, go through stuff like this.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

And let's not forget that no NPC sororities will be expanding onto campus until suitable housing becomes available. Yes, it seems they could use one or two, but it's just not going to happen. You want to be in a sorority at USC - take what you can get and make the best of a less than ideal situation.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And let's not forget that no NPC sororities will be expanding onto campus until suitable housing becomes available. Yes, it seems they could use one or two, but it's just not going to happen. You want to be in a sorority at USC - take what you can get and make the best of a less than ideal situation.
I think that any sorority at USC is probably awesome.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

OP has a point.

It's different for frats, but sororities have crazy, specific reps. Frats have general tiers and they change but you can call out what sorority a girl's in, and if you see a girl wearing letters you associate her to that rep. I know it's bad but it's almost instinctive here, most friends would agree.

I'm NOT saying it's right, but this is the mentality of the Row currently. Since sorority rankings are changing there is a lot of girls bitching at each other (houses jumping to take a Top 4 spot or say they're moving up) whereas guys are pretty cool with where they are.

Last edited by trojanpride; 04-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh dear.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't speak for the OP, I bet she is burned from rush. Some friends went through girls rush in the fall too and I think all cried a lot which makes me glad guy's rush is how it is.

I'll say it seems like this year has gotten much worse from last year, so wanting to join after last year, but now being disappointed does make sense. This year Nikias has put more restrictions that makes people more pent up, ranks are changing so girls are bitches to other houses, and collegeACB and TFM are really popular so the parts of Greek life that are douchey are exaggerated happily here.

I do get what the OP's saying, but you can't change that with a small sorority, any other house would laugh. I'm thinking about if any house tried to be more "moral" and only the Christian sorority could. AGO is super successful but the frat system is different.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Rank This!!!

Okay, trojanpride, or how about we just call you trojanslime. What a fucking trained monkey you are!

We all know that we discuss reputations on here, you dumb fuck! Your post merely encourages them. I'd quote it but I am seriously hoping that you remove that part.

Joining a sorority is not about reputations. It is so much more; friendship, sisterhood, ritual, traditions and more to name a few. It is for a life time. Women need to realize that.
You have no idea what is like to be in those chapters. And for the lower tier chapter, try telling them that their sisterhood is less valuable. Try telling them that their BFF is sub-par or "nobody". You can't rank that. You can't rank the life long friendships and sisterhood.

trojanpride: Rank this! <middle finger in the air!>

Last edited by BAckbOwlsgIrl; 04-05-2011 at 06:43 PM.