GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,118
0 members and 1,118 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at UVa

This is my first post, so let me begin by saying "hello" to everyone!

I plan to participate in Spring Rush (which begins on Thursday), but I am a bit nervous. Here's why:

I sat out last spring because I didn't see myself fitting into what I perceived to be the "frat" lifestyle. However, my best friend rushed and pledged Phi Kappa Sigma at Georgia Tech and came home for the summer with the most incredible stories. It seemed like every story he told involved the fraternity in some way. Admittedly, I became kinda jealous. I wanted to belong to the type of family that my friend found at GT.

I go out, have friends, and am quite sociable, but I am worried that being a second year (sophomore) could be a hindrance. I really want to find my own family here at Mr. Jefferson's University. Are there any tips I could get on general rush etiquette or a run down of the tiers? I have spent some time at the fraternities (PiKA, FIJI, and Sigma Nu mostly), but I do not spend a lot of time there since parties tend to be so crowded and males are not always the most welcome attendees.

In short, I want to join a fraternity because I want to find a group of close friends -- of brothers -- to help make UVa not only my school, but my second home, but I am worried that I may not get a bid.

I appreciate all responses! Thank you!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing, it sounds as though you have a decent basis for spring rush. Since you have atteneded some parties, surely you met some brothers. Use those meetings to form friendships as you get to know other brothers in the houses.

Ask good questions; make comments from what you know now. Compliment them on the positive aspects you have observed. Be honest and tell them that by waiting, you have seen the positive aspects of fraternity membership, and now you want to be a part of that brotherhood. Sell them on what you can contribute--you still have two years left plus this semester! Since you are a year older, you have skills that freshmen may not have: leadership, the ability to make mature judgements, etc.

You come across as thoughtful and well-spoken. Good luck!