GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,494
1 members and 2,493 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-12-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

U Maryland: Birthday Cake Pic on Instagram

As if GCers needed a reminder -- be careful about what you post on Instagram (or Facebook or other social media sites

A “birthday cake” for a U of Maryland woman who turned 21 displays wording that the story (below) terms “racist.” In the story she’s identified as a member of Delta Gamma. A picture accompanies the story. A statement from Delta Gamma is in the story.

http://gawker.com/sorority-girl-cele...hre-1670470468

Edited to add: the Daily Mail has the story, too. Nothing like making news internationally.

Last edited by exlurker; 12-13-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-12-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
As if GCers needed a reminder -- be careful about what you post on Instagram (or Facebook or other social media sites
No. That's not the lesson here. The lesson is "don't use racist language."
Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
DBB FTW.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't get why this got linked to Greek Life, her cake had nothing to do with DG.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma certainly felt the connection.....
Old 12-16-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
No. That's not the lesson here. The lesson is "don't use racist language."
Doesn't that lesson apply to Three 6 Mafia who wrote the song?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
No.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
No. People from marginalized groups have always been able to use language like this in their own art and within their own communities.

If a white person has a problem with what people of color say to each other in our own circles, they really ought to question why they want to use a racial slur so badly in the first place.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

We shall now be accused of making a "colorblind" thread into a racial thread.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I just don't get how the line fits in with all the rest of it. It's like they INTENTIONALLY put something stupid on the cake. All the other stuff would make sense on a 21st birthday cake for a girl in an expensive watch and petite gold chain to have, but how is fellatio with a man of color a right of passage? Did I miss the memo that said I was supposed to do that when I turned 21? Is it because I became legal to drink at 19, but not supposed to do that until 21?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I just don't get how the line fits in with all the rest of it. It's like they INTENTIONALLY put something stupid on the cake. All the other stuff would make sense on a 21st birthday cake for a girl in an expensive watch and petite gold chain to have, but how is fellatio with a man of color a right of passage? Did I miss the memo that said I was supposed to do that when I turned 21? Is it because I became legal to drink at 19, but not supposed to do that until 21?
I'm cracking up.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, this topic again. The word that you couldn't get away from if you wanted to. You hear it screamed in malls, in school, on tv, in movies, in music, in multiple FB and other social media posts a day. A generation has literally grown up hearing the word in non racist ways but people still act like a 20 year olds nigga is the same as a 70 year olds nigger. Regardless of how you feel about it stuff like this will continue to happen, especially among younger people who probably may not really know better.

ETA- in short, who really cares about the cake with the rap lyric on it? Don't we have more pressing issues to deal with?

Last edited by PiKA2001; 12-16-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
No. People from marginalized groups have always been able to use language like this in their own art and within their own communities.

If a white person has a problem with what people of color say to each other in our own circles, they really ought to question why they want to use a racial slur so badly in the first place.
Maybe because they hear the word regularly. That regular usage makes it part of their vocabulary. If people want the word to die so badly, stop using it. To a 21 year old, that word is probably more of a song lyric than a racial slur.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Banned

Dear Confused White People and Confused Other People Not of the Immediate African Diaspora:

I don't give a damn what you think but since you all insist.... I am surrounded by white people, Asians, American Indians-Native Americans, and Hispanics who use certain words and phrases within ear shot of me. That doesn't make me anxious to use those words and phrases. I do not have a "must be able to do everything" superiority (or inferiority) complex. As said on the 1980s talk shows and still very applicable in 2014, instead of wondering why you can't say it, ask yourself why you WANT and NEED to say it.

Sincerely,
The Coalition of "When in Doubt, Don't"

ETA: The rap lyric on a cake is extremely typical and uninteresting which is why I didn't respond to this thread. However, this thread topic is just like other thread topics that have anything to do with race. The ignorance of some GCers is hidden in the topic. Same shit, different toilet.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post

Respectfully Sen, perhaps the problem here is that the Internet, TV, movies and music are NOT part of your "own circle" or "within their own community."

People of any color using such offensive language IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN does give SOME people the excuse that it is OK for them to use it. If the language is offensive, maybe don't put it out there so flippantly in public.