GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,550
1 members and 2,549 guests
FlorCundif

Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Sigma Phi Members....I have a question for you....

So, in my research of Service and Community Sororities (which is probably the direction I'll go if I don't receive a bid this Fall.) I've found Beta Sigma Phi.

Sounds like a good organization, and I'm mildly interested.

When I was checking out how to join, something kind of unnerved me. The statement under the pledge form states that if you pay for new member initiation, " have been informed that all sums paid by me or otherwise paid to the international organization of Beta Sigma Phi, or paid in discharge of the membership fees or annual fees charged or levied by the international organization, are received by Walter W. Ross and Company, Inc. and in exchange, Walter W. Ross and Company, Inc. provides management services for the international organization of Beta Sigma Phi, materials and supplies necessary for its chapters to follow prescribed procedures and rituals, and standard pins and publications for its membership, thereby protecting its membership from any liability for such services, materials and supplies."

Whoa! I thought that such an organization would self-govern ITSELF, not have some company do it for them.

Or do I have things confused with how GLO's work?

Also, everything seems to be very mechanized and well, kind of impersonal. How do you get into touch with a local chapter? The website doesn't give this information. I'm trying to look beneath the image of the website, but from what I can see, I'm unsure if BSPhi is right for me.

Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
So, in my research of Service and Community Sororities (which is probably the direction I'll go if I don't receive a bid this Fall.) I've found Beta Sigma Phi.

I'm sure they're mildly honored that they are your back-up plan, should what you REALLY want not pan out. Such flattery!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to look beneath the image of the website, but from what I can see, I'm unsure if BSPhi is right for me.
Ya know what? I really don't think they are.

(BSP members, I like creme brulee and ponies.)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I understand, I was impersonal and rude. The snark was deserved.
Many apologies!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I understand, I was impersonal and rude. The snark was deserved.
Many apologies!
Holy crap - now this is a first. I'm so stunned that it's going in the sig.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

When I was checking out how to join, something kind of unnerved me. The statement under the pledge form states that if you pay for new member initiation, " have been informed that all sums paid by me or otherwise paid to the international organization of Beta Sigma Phi, or paid in discharge of the membership fees or annual fees charged or levied by the international organization, are received by Walter W. Ross and Company, Inc. and in exchange, Walter W. Ross and Company, Inc. provides management services for the international organization of Beta Sigma Phi, materials and supplies necessary for its chapters to follow prescribed procedures and rituals, and standard pins and publications for its membership, thereby protecting its membership from any liability for such services, materials and supplies."

Whoa! I thought that such an organization would self-govern ITSELF, not have some company do it for them.

Or do I have things confused with how GLO's work?

Also, everything seems to be very mechanized and well, kind of impersonal. How do you get into touch with a local chapter? The website doesn't give this information. I'm trying to look beneath the image of the website, but from what I can see, I'm unsure if BSPhi is right for me.

Thanks.
Who says they aren't self-governing? Just because they hired a maangement company doesn't mean said company doesn't have policies, procedures, etc from the GLO that they have to follow? They are, in essence, hired help...pardon the term.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

You can find out how to contact them on their website. I did and I was granted membership almost 2 months ago. Plus BSP shouldn't be a backup for anything. Plus with that attitude no matter what org you try to peruse you won't get out of it what you want.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll wait and see before I make any kinds of decisions. There are personal philanthropies that I participate in avidly on my own by organizing and getting involved in fundraisers , volunteering with persons who are directly affected by ZYX cause and spreading the word to the masses. While it would be nice to find others who also are super involved in them that hasn't panned out.

Around here, Employers have employee groups that work on Philanthropies and they have names like "Kicking Cancer's Behind"....but none for causes that I already support. I also don't work for an employer that has that going, since I am a full-time student at this time. That may be a direction that I'd pursue down the road, but I'd miss the Sisterhood aspect of it all.

I definitely need an attitude adjustment, that's for sure. For as much as I say that "It doesn't matter it you don't receive a bid on campus." I think that it really does matter to me, at this time. My opinion will probably change as time goes on.....might as well be honest about my feelings now.

I apologize for asking this question.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I definitely need an attitude adjustment, that's for sure. For as much as I say that "It doesn't matter it you don't receive a bid on campus." I think that it really does matter to me, at this time. My opinion will probably change as time goes on.....might as well be honest about my feelings now.
Then it is important that you are completely realistic and honest with yourself about the possibility of your potential success in recruitment. Honestly, when I read everything you've written I think "Junior League" or "Active 20-30 Club", not "NPC sorority".

Regardless, good luck to you!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM

I am also a member of Beta SIgma Phi and have been since 2004.

Walter W. Ross is the founder of Beta Sigma Phi. Walter W. Ross & Company is run by the Ross family for Beta Sigma Phi.

Hope that helps.

As far as the website goes--As a member I totally agree it is not easy to navigate. I complain about that to International HQ quite a bit. I dont think they like me very well .
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I just saw this thread, so I'm a little late to the game.

I have been a member of Beta Sigma Phi since 2002, and the most important thing I can add to what has already been said is that the HEART of Beta Sigma Phi--the essence of what makes the sorority what it is--happens inside the chapters themselves and in the communities that the chapters serve. The website is not the full picture, and I doubt that any sorority can say that everything that they are can be gleaned from their homepage. I have to agree with ThetaPrincess2004: I wish the International site was A LOT better. It is vague, impersonal, and difficult to navigate.

The Walter W. Ross company can be confusing. Simply put, Beta Sigma Phi does not run like the NPC organizations or any of the other college GLOs with which I am familiar. Unlike NPC organizations, chapters of Beta Sigma Phi are very independent from one another. They operate under The Book of Beta Sigma Phi (our governing document), but like I said, they largely make decisions within themselves. Some chapters fall under a City Council. Others do not. The International organization does not have the same legislative role over chapters as the national or international NPC sororities do. Because of the independent nature of the chapters, the International office serves are more business-like role than a governing role. While an NPC national office provides many regulations, materials, required events/dates, and hands-on help through traveling consultants and the like, the International office of Beta Sigma Phi serves more as a base for record keeping and the distribution of merchandise. That's probably why you got that sort of "merchandized" feeling. At the International level, it is sort of a business--they are selling the things needed to help the chapters move along in their activities, but in the actual life of a chapter, I assure you that BSP is quite personal. The rituals are lovely, and the traditions are rich. When a women really dives into her organization, Beta Sigma Phi can be wonderfully rewarding!
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the clarification ThetaPrincess and Erica. I am aware that there are at least seven chapters (active or not, I'm unable to tell) in close proximity to me, but I haven't been able to figure out any further information about them....yet.