GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,623
1 members and 1,622 guests
navane

Old 01-21-2000, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
They should fall under some sort of governance from the university. Also, if the University really wants national groups on campus, they would need to contact the NPC to get the ball rolling. You haven't mentioned if there are other nationals on campus or if the entire campus is local.

You can't "force" them to raise money for charity, but university regs. should prevent them from raising money for alcohol, etc. If indeed there is no interest in affiliating nationally, my advice to you would be to back out and let the university find a professor or administrator to act as their advisor. They obviously don't want your guidance and, from the sounds of things, they don't want the responsibility of being nationally affiliated.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2000, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I would bail. These girls obviously do not show you any respect, so why should you help them out? I understand that you want to help them, but you can't help people who won't help themselves first. They have to want to work for their organization. If they don't, it will eventually fall apart and you will feel even more badly. Personally, from the sound of things, I wouldn't want these girls in my organization. And nationals won't give a charter to girls who don't deserve it. You have to show Nationals that you are honest, hard working, and want to make an impact on the community before they will charter a new chapter.

However, If you really want ideas, I would do some research into the national and inernational sororities and find ideas on philanthropies that the girls would be interested. For instance, my sororities national philanthropy is to aid the hearing impaired. I joined Delta Zeta because I happen to believe strongly in that endevor. And I didn't believe after I joined, I believed before. It was almost the whole reason! Research about the philanthropies and try to come up with interesting ways to get them into it. We had an instructor come in a teach us sign language. It was fun and educational at the same time. We then were able to make an impact on out community by going out and visiting nursing homes and hospitals and children who couldn't hear. We even have a chapter of Delta Zeta at Galludet University in Washington DC. It is a university for the hearing impaired. I ould just suggest trying to find something noble that the girls would find interesting or fun. It just might put a fire under their butts.

------------------
"Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, than it's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life. Love shouldn't be one of them."

--From "Dream for an Insomniac"
Old 01-21-2000, 03:49 PM
sororitygirl

My sorority is looking to be national and could certainly use help and advice from someone like you. Please, e-mail me at sororitygirl_11717@yahoo.com if you can help me. Thanks
Old 01-21-2000, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
See these posts:
http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000052.html

also:
http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000057.html

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 01-21-2000, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks for all your replies.

There are no other sororities on this campus. It's another thing that makes it hard. No competition and no one to look up to. No one pushing them -- besides the advisors -- to be better.

We even took them to a large school in another city so they could see how "real" sororities work.

I don't mean to make it sound like these are bad girls. They're not. I just feel like we're trying to steer them in one direction and they're trying to go another.

I think we're going to have a meeting with the university and then talk to the girls and tell them they need to decide. If they want to stay local, then there's not much I can do for them.
Old 01-22-2000, 12:47 AM
Blades920

Question Local sorority advisor

Hi, I am a Tri Delta alum who was asked by the alum Panhell organization in our town to be an advisor for a local sorority at a local university. In the beginning, the university said this group would eventually go national and that the other advisors and I (we are all alums of national sororities) were to steer them in that direction.

Well, it's been three years. We have made up symbols, songs, sayings and ceremonies for this group. It has more than doubled in size (around 30 members now). However, the university says they still can't go national (the chancellor has in mind only certain sororities she will accept on campus), and the members are starting to rebel against us. They don't want to do things the way we're trying to advise them. They don't want to raise money for charity, they want to raise money so they can have parties.

I would be interested in hearing from other local sororities to hear how they have dealt with all this. I'm tired of being the bad guy to these girls. If they don't want to go national, I guess that's fine. But shouldn't they have some sort of advisor?

Thanks for any helpful comments.
Old 01-22-2000, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
HI!!
It is good to hear from another Tri Delta!! I am a sophomore and in my second year with our sorority.
I do have some advise, a little off the topic though. Right now, my advisor is not so cool she got five girls kicked out for stupid, lame reasons. We as a chapter do not respect her at all because she did this "for the good of the chapter", she however did this (kicking five out) without the chapters approvial. I know that she has the right too, but it was so against the chapters wishes. As a person who no pretty much hates her alum advisor, do what the girls want...do not do what you think they want. Express your conserns with them and give them advise, do not force things on them, or they will all deactivate, I promise, that is what is happening in my chapter. Just be there for them, don't make any harsh desicions without their approvial. If they do not want to do what you think needs to be done, they would be better off with someone else as their advisor, sorry, no offense. Don't do what you want, do what they want
Old 01-22-2000, 03:06 PM
Artimis

Stratigic Goal Planning sessions have helped my young chapter not only stay focused on the goals of growth, but define what as a sisterhood we wanted to be and accomplish. The active chapter tries to have such sessions once a semester and seems to have positive results from it.

Incorporating goals of the University's expectations and the requirments to colonize as a National sorority might give the girls a realistic approach to what paths they would want to take. Prioritizing events for which they would want to do - socials, academic, philantrophy, athletic, etc may give you and your fellow advisors an idea of what efforts you may want to further invest in the girls.

Best of Luck!

Jennifer
Old 01-24-2000, 09:42 AM

I don’t blame you for being p.o.’ed – you were told you were going to be an advisor to an eventually national sorority. I don’t blame the members for being a little rebellious, either – they were told they would be part of a national sorority and they’re not yet. It sounds to me like the chancellor is the real problem! She will only accept “certain” sororities on the campus? Has it occurred to her that the sororities may not accept that school? 2 different groups at my alma mater wanted to go Tri-Delt and Tri-Delt wouldn’t touch it – they said the campus was too small, and they were absolutely right.

Look into some of the smaller NPC sororities like AST or TPA. And if you are feeling overstressed about this, then bail with a clear conscience. It sounds like the school wanted to put all the work onto you and the other advisors and then take the credit for themselves. Tres bogus.